300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey Officers Hold Massive Rally Against Governer

TRENTON — Up to 12,000 off-duty and retired New Jersey police and firefighters have finished a rally in front of the state Capitol to protest staff cuts and promote public safety.

The public safety workers say budget cuts and layoffs have thinned their ranks to unsafe levels.

They also object to proposals by Republican Gov. Chris Christie and Democratic Senate President Stephen Sweeney to raise their contributions for pension and health benefits.

Democrats in the Legislature lined up to speak at Thursday's event.

It was the second government worker rally at the Statehouse in a week. The AFL-CIO sponsored a unity rally last Friday for Wisconsin workers who are fighting a move to limit their collective bargaining rights.

Public safety workers began setting up for their rally before dawn. The state Police Benevolent Association had 110 buses.

Numbing cold was unable to prevent protesting workers from holding up signs such as "Christie and Sweeney, Perfect Together,'' "Less Cops Equals More Crime,'' and "State Employees Have Paid Our Dues.''

Thousands of police, firefighting and rescue workers were there because they're mad as hell, said Kevin Lyons, a Long Beach Township police detective.

"It's been ruthless against public employees,'' Lyons said of calls for the workers to give back salary and benefits gains.

Until the protest's formal kickoff at 11 a.m., some of the workers were entertained by patriotic and union-friendly videos and shorts played on a 9-foot LED video wall.

"It's frustrating. That's what's bringing people here. There's 3,400 less cops than there were a year ago. The cops who are left have seen cuts. We're not the cause of the bad economy. Don't take things out on us,'' Lyons said.

http://www.app.com/article/20110303/...text|Frontpage
    In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity.
    -Winston Churchill

Increase benefits for non-working turds, make better facilities for criminals, create programs to "help" these poor afflicted drug addicts and career criminals, pay for the health care of those addicted to drugs, etc...

Slash pay and benefits for teachers, remove pensions for cops, cut pay, layoff officers, and then complain about stupid kids and high crime.

Makes perfect sense to politicians... the rest of us are stuck standing by watching the country circle the drain faster and faster.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

Comment

N.J. police salaries rank highest in nation with median pay of $90,672

“a police officer making $100,000 a year may cost a town twice that when benefits, pension payments and other expenses are considered.”

“Police are now required to pay 1.5 percent of their salary toward health care, like other public employees. ”
      http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...nk_highes.html

Top pay for a Trooper I is $97,188

State Paid Health Benefits
      • Troopers who attain 25 years of service in the SPRS are entitled to State paid health benefits in retirement. State Troopers does not require any cost sharing by the Troopers.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/salary.html
      Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Just as a comparison, Top pay for a SC Trooper is $46,033 that’s at over 20 years service, a Lance Corporal is only $39,579, a Senior Trooper gets $37,695….
        Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
          Just as a comparison, Top pay for a SC Trooper is $46,033 that’s at over 20 years service, a Lance Corporal is only $39,579, a Senior Trooper gets $37,695….
          Cost of living. Living in NY, NJ, or CA costs a fortune.

Comment

It does cost a fortune to live in those states, but there is an increasing disparity between private sector and public sector pay. While it's hard to compare for a position like police officer; for jobs that exist in both sectors, the public sector often makes signficantly more than the private sector.

I've said it before, now is not a good time for public sector employees to complain about their pay and benefits being cut - because those in the private sector have already been experiencing it.

Comment

That is the problem. There is no private sector comparison for police. Yet it is perfectly fine to bash on public safety pay and benefits. You realize that public safety cannot unionize. (BECAUSE UNION MEANS YOU AS A WORKER CAN STRIKE), and I have not seen a police strike in LONG time. So how else do you address terrible working conditions?

Three states out of 50. Many on this forum have stated they are not wealthy and they have little or no pension.

This is not a scare tactic, but You get the police force you pay for. You want to do it on the cheap... You will save money but you will pay A LOT in other ways.
              semper destravit

Comment

It would seem many people desire to pay less taxes, that invariably means fewer government employees, or lower paid government employees.

I will agree that it varies by region. I've read that some cops in the south make as little as 13 dollars an hour.

To play devil's advocate, I wonder how much wages make a difference - For example, the San Jose Police starting salary is 80,000, Santa Clara Sheriff is 65,000. I'm skeptical that San Jose has better cops than Santa Clara County has deputies. I believe they're both quality forces. I'm sure there's a minimum threshold, but once that threshold is reached, I think it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Ultimately, I can't really besmirch anyone for wanting to get as good a deal as possible.

Comment

Christie, like everyone else who's won a recent election, won because his constituents were tired of spending and wanted smaller government.
                  Now that he's trying to make good on what he said he'd do, the response is "...but don't cut me." If you elect someone who's platform is to curtail spending and shrink government (especially if you're a public employee), don't act suprised when it happens.

Personally, I suspect that we've seen the end of the days where public sector work was a good field to work in.

For the record, I WISH that my health premiums were only 1.5% of my salary. I'm paying 11.24%.
                  Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                  Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

Originally posted by zr5667 View Post
                    It would seem many people desire to pay less taxes, that invariably means fewer government employees, or lower paid government employees.
                    Exactly.
                    For another example, voters in my state were completely retarded a few years ago. They voted overwhelmingly to pass a Constitutional amendment to limit school class sizes...then the very same year shot down a property tax increase. So they want smaller classes, which means more teachers...but then cut the tax stream that pay for teachers. *scratches head* Just recently they voted to loosen up the size restrictions in that amendment.
                    Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                    Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

Because I'm not so sure that the general public understands this.....when they (Govt union busters) compare the pay of "public employees" to the pay of the "general public" they also include all part time minimum wage jobs, such as your 17 year old high schooler flipping burgers. Fair comparison, right??!!! The union busters know full well that the majority of the public won't realize that and that is their goal, just as it is for most political tax paid representatives.....say just enough to let the public assume this or that, regardless if it is true or not.

The govt has continually taken more and more from local govt and given less and less back. Now they are claiming by taking away "collective bargaining" they are only doing it to help the local govts balance their budgets. Really? How come all of those states that don't have collective bargaining for state public employees are also broke????

How come the govt (who has mis-spent all of OUR tax monies) and the corporate leaders who ran us into a recession with their greed, but had their PRIVATE companies bailed our with our taxes are trying to balance all the budgets on the back of working middle class........cops, fire, rescue, teachers, hospitals, and the list goes on and on. If you really think that unions are problem, then you need to spend a little more time researching where all of your tax money goes.

And for those that will complain about the auto unions (because those are the only union your can really find fault with). You complain about all the money they make. How about the bailout of those companies? That was the tax payers money....ie, those same union employees. How about the HUGE bonuses all of those auto company execs get annually??? THAT is what is killing the auto industry as well.
                      Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

Regarding Wisconsin public unions. Those unions had already agreed to sit down and make concessions in order to HELP balance the budget, but not soley on their backs. However, the Dictator (oops, I mean Gov) refuses and wants their collective bargaining rights taken away. Interesting, I thought he was interested in balancing a budget, not stripping away worker rights. It is called slight of hand.
                        Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Comment

[QUOTE=Magic Matt;2672268]N.J. police salaries rank highest in nation with median pay of $90,672

Ever look at the cost of housing there?????? Pretty hard for police officers to show up with a pressed uniform while living in a cardboard box.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic Matt View Post
                            Apples are red (usually) and oranges are...well, orange. So what is your point???

All you have successfully done is put some numbers on a post that mean absolutely nothing other than represent the pay of a specific job. How about you put up some corresponding numbers with that....such as cost of living???

I'm sure a $100 grand a year looks pretty appealing to a SC Trooper....right up until he sees how far that $100K goes in the NJ area!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ten08
                              I wonder how many voted for Christie. Face it, this is a National Issue, they are after your pension
                              This is the bottom line......

THE GOVT RAN US INTO THE FRICKIN GROUND AND THEY WANT YOU AND ME TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can blame anyone you want, including the unions, but the bottom line is that the Govt was running the show. They never have acted in our best interest and the sure as heck are going to start now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5564 users online. 326 members and 5238 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X