300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama: No Arming of U.S. Agents in Mexico

President Obama on Thursday appeared to reject the idea of arming U.S. agents in Mexico, saying after a meeting with Mexican President Felipe Calderon that the two governments will look at other ways to protect American officials in the wake of a fatal shooting last month.

"There are laws in place in Mexico that say that our agents should not be armed," Obama said, describing the U.S. role south of the border as an "advisory" one. "We do not carry out law enforcement activities inside of Mexico."

The president's statement answers speculation about how far the administration would go in reforming safety measures in response to the killing three weeks ago of Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent Jaime Zapata in Mexico. The shooting death raised questions in the U.S. about Mexico's ability to control violence but U.S. officials earlier wouldn't say whether Obama would press the Mexican leader to allow U.S. agents to be armed.

Coming out of the meeting Thursday afternoon, both presidents stressed that U.S. agents cannot be armed. Obama said he was nevertheless concerned about the safety of agents and that they would examine "procedures and protocols" for how to better protect them.

Calderon said Mexican officials are "deeply analyzing alternatives."

Obama, signaling the two presidents discussed the killing, thanked the Mexican government Thursday for its cooperation in the investigation and vowed that the United States would be a "full partner" in fighting the drug cartels.
    "Whether they live in Texas or Tijuana, our people have a right to be safe in their communities," Obama said.

Shortly before the meeting, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano also told a House committee that the administration would seek to extradite the suspects in the case so they can be prosecuted in the United States.

Several suspects have been arrested in the killing of Zapata, and Mexican authorities say one has confessed. Napolitano declined to discuss reported statements from suspects being held in Mexico that the Feb. 15 killing was a case of mistaken identity

Despite the ongoing concerns about the ICE agent killing, the president was able to announce a breakthrough in a longstanding trucking dispute between the two countries.

Obama, speaking at a joint press conference with his Mexican counterpart, announced that the countries had "finally found a clear path" to resolving the trucking dispute, saying the proposal would lift tariffs on U.S. goods, expand U.S. exports and create jobs.

The plan would open up U.S. highways to Mexican trucks, removing a long-standing roadblock to improved relations between the North American allies. An Obama administration official said the two leaders have agreed to a phased-in plan that would authorize both Mexican and U.S. long-haul carriers to engage in cross-border operations, provided that the Mexican trucks meet U.S. safety standards. Both countries were given this authority under the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement, but the U.S. has refused to allow Mexican trucks access amid concerns over their ability to meet America's stringent safety and environmental standards.

At the press briefing Thursday, Obama also re-emphasized his commitment to pursuing comprehensive immigration reform, something that has eluded him so far.

The contentious debate over immigration dominated Calderon's visit to the White House in May, shortly after Arizona passed a law that makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally and requires police to question people about their immigration status if there's reason to suspect they're illegal. Mexico's government strongly opposes the law, and the Mexican Senate this week urged Calderon to again vehemently make their opposition known to Obama.

Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chairman Rep. Charles Gonzalez, D-Texas, said in a statement Thursday that his group remains "committed" to comprehensive immigration reform, despite the failure last year to pass a bill providing some illegal immigrant students and military members a pathway to legalized status. "Despite this impasse, the CHC remains committed to our stated goal of passing comprehensive immigration reform and will continue to work to find a bipartisan solution to one of our nation's most untenable problems," Gonzalez said.

Obama and Calderon were also expected to discuss U.S. aid to help support Mexico in the drug war, something Obama touched on at the press briefing. A senior administration official said the U.S. plans to speed up implementation of the $1.4 billion Merida Initiative, with $900 million to be doled out by the end of the year. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to preview the announcement.

The announcement comes as the State Department issued a report praising Mexico's government for increased drug seizures and better efforts to combat narcotics trafficking and money laundering. But it said Mexican production of marijuana, heroin and methamphetamines was rapidly rising, and that cartels were becoming even more dangerous through use of sniper rifles, grenades and increasingly military tactics.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...deron-meeting/

If I was the Director of ICE.....I would pull all Agents from the area......and let them work for inside the US.....

Telephones and emails work nicely.....

Comment

So basically Obama is a bitch and didn't lay down how it is going to be with the Mexican president.

Comment

I watched it and was not impressed!

What the heck is "deeply analyzing alternatives" to allowing armed agents?

And no way would I work in Mexico unarmed.
        Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

I understand the fact that Mexico does not want armed foreign agents in their country, just as we would not want armed Mexican agents in our country. Fine, don't arm them. But don't send them to Mexico in the first place. Obama stated "we do not conduct law enforcement activities inside of Mexico." If that's true, what is the need to send them there in the first place?
          Everybody counts or no one counts.
          -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
          -Ronald Reagan

Comment

"Teddy Rosevelt Spoke Softly and Carried a Big Stick.
            obummer Makes apologies and threw away the stick."

Seriously, you wan't to send in "advisors," send in "advisors." You know the quiet guys that take care of problems and let what ever host country take the credit.

If I had my way I'd give the work to private security contractors and let the liquidate all the cartels assets after they've liquidated the cartels.
            Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Originally posted by redsox2010 View Post
              I understand the fact that Mexico does not want armed foreign agents in their country, just as we would not want armed Mexican agents in our country
              You do realize there are "Armed Agents' from all sorts of Foreign Countries running around the US right now......don't you...?

Comment

If our agents are going to be involved in drug interdiction in Mexico to the degree that they become targets of the cartels, then it seems they should be armed. Strikes me as irresponsible to place a person in such danger and not provide them means to protect themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                  So basically Obama is a bitch and didn't lay down how it is going to be with the Mexican president.
                  Yes becasue its just that simple
                  Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Yes there are laws in their country regarding foreign agents having arms. Just like we have laws regarding immigration. Yet they had so much respect for our laws that they printed pamphlets on how to illegally cross the border. We should respect their laws in the same manner.
                    This Space For Rent

Comment

Maybe they can just find some of these: http://www.publicintegrity.org/articles/entry/2976/
                      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                        Couldn't have said it better...what a limp dick
                        Whatever hits the fan, will not be evenly distributed.
                        Some minds are like concrete...Thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                        01 CVPI - Former OKCPD gang unit #0113129
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3037005
                        http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/russrad25/6c.jpg http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...4-832889-1.jpg
                        My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!
                        ~Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by brad601 View Post
                          "Teddy Rosevelt Spoke Softly and Carried a Big Stick.
                          obummer Makes apologies and threw away the stick."
                          I can think of something else that little b!tch did with the stick.
                          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                            If I was the Director of ICE.....I would pull all Agents from the area......and let them work for inside the US.....

Telephones and emails work nicely.....
                            The Director of ICE has to follow orders, too.
                            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

So his Secret Service detail is unarmed when he visits Mexico?
                              "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4328 users online. 270 members and 4058 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X