300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Reid Wants Nevadea to Outlaw Prostitution

CARSON CITY — Sen. Harry Reid on Tuesday called for “an adult conversation” about prostitution in Nevada, saying it is an impediment to economic development because it discourages businesses from moving here.

“Nevada needs to be known as the first place for innovation and investment – not as the last place where prostitution is still legal,” he said.

Reid told the assembled lawmakers in the Legislature that he met recently with a group of business leaders who run data centers for technology companies. They visited Storey County in search of a new location for their businesses but “one of the businessmen in that meeting told me he simply couldn’t believe that one of the biggest businesses in the county he was considering for his new home has legal prostitution.”

He said he has talked to families who “don’t want their children to look out of a school bus and see a brothel.”

"We should do everything we can to make sure the world holds Nevada in the same high regard you and I do," Reid continued. "If we want to attract business to Nevada that puts people back to work, the time has come for us to outlaw prostitution."

The industry had been warned that Reid would call for an end to legalized prostitution, which is allowed only in the state's rural counties.

Dennis Hof, a flamboyant brothel owner, showed up at the Legislature about 90 minutes before Reid was scheduled to speak. Hof was accompanied by eight working girls from his brothel outside Carson City.

"Harry Reid will have to pry the cat house keys from my cold dead hands," he told the media.

Legislative leaders are not pleased at the prospect of being put on the spot over legalized prostitution and questioned the timing of his call to make it illegal statewide.

Some are asking why, if Reid believes prostitution gives Nevada enough of a black eye that business won’t relocate here, would he create a circus-like spectacle by mentioning the topic and inevitably attracting national attention.

While anticipation of Reid's raising the topic caused a stir, he only mentioned brothels in a few paragraphs of the eight-page speech.

Gov. Brian Sandoval on Tuesday said prostitution is a local option "and it's up to the counties to decide if they want it or not." He said he heard Monday that Reid might discuss the subject. He said he has never been to a brothel nor has he had the desire to go to one.

Lt. Gov. Brian Krolicki, chairman of the economic development commission, said, "I have never been approached by any prospective business or had an inquiry as to that industry (brothels) That doesn't mean it's not a thought in someone's business plan going forward. I suspect it would present a challenge to certain individuals bringing in a company but I have never been a topic of conservation."

Krolicki said there are probably 10 items on the checklist that are discussed for prospective company to relocate, but this has never been one of them.

"It's a local government decision. We need to respect the will of the 10 counties that decided the practice should be continued and seven have not," said Krolicki. He also said he has never been in a brothel.

Senate Majority Leader Steven Horsford said, "I personally do not support prostitution. However, it has been handled by local governments in the past and it's been a history and tradition. Asked if it should be continued, Horsford said, "With all the other issues this session -- the budget and education -- it has yet to be determined. I agree with Sen. Reid with his focus on renewal energy and putting Nevadans back to work and those are the priorities of this session."

Reid opened his speech to the Legislature by talking about his time in the Nevada Assembly with future U.S. Sen. Richard Bryan. He also defended the federal stimulus and TARP as successes that prevented further damage to Nevada’s economy.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011...thel-industry/
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

OH......MY......GOD......NOOOOOOOOOOO!
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

OK, who's got the video?
      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Talk about the ultimate in hypocrisy!!

The folks in DC (especially the ones on Capitol Hill) have been 'prostituting' themselves and their occupation (politician) for decades. The "working girls" are probably more honest and trustworthy than many of the chumps in government who have legislative power.

Come on, Sen. Reid; there are far better things on which you should focus your efforts.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
          OH......MY......GOD......NOOOOOOOOOOO!
          My thoughts exactly.
          Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

I'm still in shock that he won re-election.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
              You can thank the Tea Party for that.
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah that's the sort of thing we need to be worrying about here in Nevada right now..

Comment

My thoughts exactly. He is a Moron. Vegas you are as dumb as us NY folk when it comes to voting.
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Exactly the wrong direction Nevada should be going in. If anything, it should be legal NATION wide...

Comment

Typical Dimwit...... Economy in the crapper due to his POTUS....and he wants to end jobs in his state.......

Comment

Harry is still the little twit political weenie he was when he "served" in the Nevada Legislature. He wasn't too concerned about prostitution then. For further amplification, see reply #4. Dutch says it better than I can.

Comment

I really wanted to try to find out more information about this, so I googled "Congressman" and "Prostitute". Apparently, there are quite a few news articles that have both of those words in the title. Funny, that.
                          Last edited by hoorah; 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
                            He didn't. Sharron Angle lost it.

Comment

Eh, I'm not necessarily a Reid fan, but Angle was a ****ing loon.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3459 users online. 238 members and 3221 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X