Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unarmed Canine Handlers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unarmed Canine Handlers

    I have seen unarmed canine handlers at the Mall Of America. At first it seemed a little unusual, but then the Mall Of America Security is unarmed. I guess I am just not accustomed to seeing uniformed canine handlers that aren't armed, sworn officers. I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one. Anyway, has anybody seen any other unarmed canine handlers anywhere? Are there any security companies that use unarmed security officers?

  • #2
    If the regular security is unarmed, then I guess the canine officers are more "armed" than the regular security. At least they have a dog that can bite.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rfburns View Post
      If the regular security is unarmed, then I guess the canine officers are more "armed" than the regular security. At least they have a dog that can bite.
      I guess, depending on what the dogs are for. I would think at the Mall of America they might be bomb sniffing dogs.. in which case they might not really be a "weapon" so much as just another tool. It'd be like me telling my dog to attack.. he'd look at you real confused and then burp or something.
      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

      Comment


      • #4

        I know a Labrador Retriever who will knock you down and lick you to death on command.



        The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

        The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

        ------------------------------------------------

        "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

          I know a Labrador Retriever who will knock you down and lick you to death on command.


          I know several of them!

          Comment


          • #6
            At Mall of America®, safety is a top priority.

            The Security Department is staffed with over 100 highly-trained personnel. These officers patrol the interior and exterior of the Mall on foot and on bicycle, while the plain clothes special operations unit focuses on threat mitigation.

            Mall of America Security is a nationally recognized department that prides itself on its high caliber officers, training and forward thinking attitude. MOA Security is leading the way in innovation, introducing such programs as the Parental Escort Policy the special operations plain clothes unit and K-9 program. Each year, Mall of America Security Officers respond to thousands of calls for service ranging from emergency situations to lost children to celebrity appearances. MOA Security also works closely with various local and federal law enforcement agencies to enhance the safety and security of our guests, tenants and employees.

            Our state of the art Dispatch Center employs the latest technology and monitors numerous cameras located throughout the parking ramps, surface lots, common areas and Nickelodeon Universe around the clock. The Mall's call boxes help phones and pay phones also have direct lines to the Dispatch Center (952-883-8888).

            SECURITY EMPLOYMENTMall of America® is a nationally recognized Security Department that fosters personal and professional growth in the criminal justice field. If you wish to play a vital role in the private security field, come join our highly motivated, professional, disciplined and industry-leading team. You will be part of a service / action oriented team, focused on creating a safe and enjoyable experience for guests and tenants. If you are interested in learning more about employment with Mall of America Security, please download the Security Brochure.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

            Comment


            • #7
              I watched Mall Cops on TLC last season. They did have canine handlers who were fancied up in 5.11's compared to the black and white uniforms of the other security staff. They mentioned that the dogs were only bomb sniffers. They all had OC and what looked like Modadnock batons, but the security staff lacks firearms. They make up for guns with smiles and ribbons.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                I have seen unarmed canine handlers at the Mall Of America. At first it seemed a little unusual, but then the Mall Of America Security is unarmed. I guess I am just not accustomed to seeing uniformed canine handlers that aren't armed, sworn officers. I have also read that TSA has canine handlers that are unarmed, but I haven't ever seen one. Anyway, has anybody seen any other unarmed canine handlers anywhere? Are there any security companies that use unarmed security officers?
                Not necessarily TOTALLY unarmed, but MNDOC has canine handlers, who would be unarmed 99% of the time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  There are many bomb dogs working everyday throughout the US that have non LE handlers.
                  I know quite a few such dogs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by phillydog07 View Post
                    Not necessarily TOTALLY unarmed, but MNDOC has canine handlers, who would be unarmed 99% of the time.
                    As does the Iowa DOC...................
                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Unarmed Canine Handlers

                      Actually, now that I think about it, there was an Accelerant Sniffing Canine some years back. I think the guy was a transplant from the UK serving on New Brighton Fire Department or somewhere up that way. I think the K-9 Buddy well may have retired by now, but if I recall correctly somehow there was grant money and/or money from insurance companies to help financially support this program. I think he would respond well beyond New Brighton, but it has been so long ago, who knows if there is anything like that program still around.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                        Actually, now that I think about it, there was an Accelerant Sniffing Canine some years back. I think the guy was a transplant from the UK serving on New Brighton Fire Department or somewhere up that way. I think the K-9 Buddy well may have retired by now, but if I recall correctly somehow there was grant money and/or money from insurance companies to help financially support this program. I think he would respond well beyond New Brighton, but it has been so long ago, who knows if there is anything like that program still around.
                        There are a lot of arson dogs working in the US and most of the handlers are FD. I know quite a few of those dogs too.

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          I like your avatar picture, "luvmylabs" - as have owned two of them during my adult life. Great dogs! If you have children, I doubt there is a better breed of dog to have around them. Both of my Labradors were black and I had a roomate for awhile who had a yellow one.

                          They'll eat you out of house and home, but never fail to acknowledge your love with a wag of their tails and a lap of a toungue.


                          Some awesome canine companions can be found here: http://www.lrr.org (Labrador Retriever Rescue)

                          The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

                          The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

                          ------------------------------------------------

                          "Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They make up for guns with smiles and ribbons.
                            I noticed those ribbons, also. What can they get them for "Most Vehicle Lockouts in a Month," "Most Lost Kids Returned?" I know they have a job to do, but that show was corny. It's hard to look like a badaszz being the mall guard..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              thats the thing---most of them tried acting like a super trooper
                              it was a painful show

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5023 users online. 300 members and 4723 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X