Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traffic Template... Do you still use them?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic Template... Do you still use them?

I'm going through all my stuff for the academy and I was checking out the "Traffic Template" that we had to purchase. (Stencil and other info) Do departments still use these or is there a more effective computer program that traffic officers can use. It'll be interesting to use but it just seems like it would take a ridiculous amount of time. Just curious how things will change from academy to dept.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

I would say it depends on the department. The one I worked at, we completed a hand written accident report at the scene then used it to complete the official computer generated form. The computer generated form was the one issued to the public.
    I would keep the template just in case the computers crashed. Your agency may require you to complete the reports differently than how you were trained at the academy. Mine did.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
    President Jefferson Davis

Comment

When you have worked accidents all day the template will have proved its' worth to you.

I used it for estimating minimum POI speed. You can almost guess at the CF, measure the skidmarks, and determine minimum speed using the template on scene. You don't cite unless it was really excessive based on this guess. Remember the visible skidmarks are not the complete braking distance. There is a shadow distance before the skidmarks starts. This is why you determine minimum speed.
      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

I use my template more than I use the computer. They both have there place so it would be a good idea to keep one around if you have to do accident reports.
        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

As a traffic investigator...hell yes. I use it for quick speed calculations on the nomograph. Make for a handy-dandy little clinometer in the field as well.

Comment

Hang on to your template!!

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the info. Sounds like departments haven't found anything that works much better.
              I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
              - Mark Twain

Comment

I do traffic investigations but I tend not to use mine too much. I have all of my formulas programed into my calculator and most of my reports are done on a computer. I did have to learn all of the formulas when I was going through school (intermediate and advance were not fun to me). We are switching over to a "total station" which is total computer generated drawings, etc. Of course I work in a small city (3 sq. miles) and I have alot of info already programed in. If I worked in a larger area I would probably use it more.
                Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Absolutely, I use it for every field sketch I do.

Comment

I still use mine....the computer program that they have available is just a huge pain in the *** that I'd rather just draw it out using the template. The thing is 14 years old and still going strong LOL

Comment

Gotta love the template symbol for the "deer" that ends up in the road.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

computer program to do crash reports, whats that??? lol, yep i use my template on all my crash reports becase they are all done by hand. this is why i hate doing them and always try to go the exchange information route instead

Comment

Easy Street draw. So awesome, haven't touched my template in years. I can diagram even a fairly involved wreck in less than 10 minutes if I already have the intersection on file.
                          Last edited by Dingo990; 01-23-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

What exactly is a computer program for crash reports?

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                              Easy Street draw. So awesome, haven't touched my template in years. I can diagram even a fairly involved wreck in less than 10 minutes if I already have the intersection on file.
                              This, and here the state supplies the software on the accident reports...we have a wonderful system. Wow, I can't believe I just gave the state credit for doing something right.
                              It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                              Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11635 users online. 512 members and 11123 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X