300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous website--> your personal information

Wanted to bring this to everyones attention! I had a friend KITLOD by a suspect at his house so be careful all

www.spokeo.com gives anybody that knows your name a way to find your home, it has a streetview of my car in MY driveway, phone number, family listed, income, house value and several other things.
    to remove yourself copy the URL then go to the PRIVACY tab in the bottom right corner to remove yourself and then click the confirm in an email

From the reviews I had seen, their privacy option is rarely enacted even when you email them. I was alerted to the site a week or two ago via facebook, however when I looked myself up, all the information was either missing or incorrect. The only thing correct, was they had a single photo of me, and I honestly don't mind if everyone sees that one.

Comment

thankfully i am no longer on there, not for myself but for my family. i will admit since my friend was murdered i watch my 6 more off duty

Comment

There are a few other sites sort of like this, If someone knows your name it is not that hard to get this info with a little research.
        Google maps, Google Sat, google search, White pages, the list goes on and on. Pretty much in this day and time your info is out there.
        This is why it is important to take personal responsibility to keep good virus protecting, firewalls, and don't be filling out for that Free T.V. ext.ext.
        Never use your cell number in order to get the results of anything online.
        Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

It's very dated information. There are 50 people with my first and last name in the US, and 5 of them in my state, none of which has my current address.

I'm also getting better at maintaining a very low information profile. Credit reports seem to be the foundation of these kinds of databases. So if you maintain a minimal financial footprint (i.e. no loans, no credit cards, and no reason to have your credit report run) you can almost disappear off the face of the earth for those who are not law enforcement that are snooping around.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
          - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Someone brought this website to our attention a few months ago. I checked it out then and all of my info was old or just plain wrong.
            Those of us that are in this profession have much thicker skins than the average person. Your "insults" are not even a good pimple on the *** of what truly bothers us. -Iowa 1603

Comment

I'll concur on the unreliable info. It does have my current information, but when you search my wife's name, apparently she still lives in our old house we left three years ago. With her husband! I'll have to talk to her about that.
              If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

all of my information was good.......google maps of my house with street view of my car sitting right in front of my house......kinda spooky...

Comment

All the information is available on the web anyways. Sites like spokeo and zaba just draw off those. Emailing spokeo will get them to block the info from their site, but doesn't do anything for the root problem. Heck, most county tax websites will tell you exactly where someone lives. Get that address, plug that information into google maps and there you go, a picture of their house.

Common sense on the internet is a better approach (blocking phone number, not putting your address on facebook, ect) But it is hard to be 100% invisible.

Comment

It lists my parents old house (sold last year) which I haven't lived in for almost 10 years. It has my cell phone number from when I was 16. The Google map position is WAY off, and you have to pay money to see anything else. It simply states that I'm a guy, in my mid 20's, am single, live somewhere I don't, make 130 grand more than I actually do, lists a sister I most certainly don't have, and whatever other information you get from paying.

I looked for every variation of my name, middle name, parents name, siblings names, and found not one chunk of up-to-date accurate info. I'm not worried. I'm more freaked out by the fact that there is a way to take a photo that was taken by your IPhone and posted somewhere, and they can get the GPS coordinates off of it. Upload a funny picture of your pet playing in the living room, someone can take that photo and find out where you were standing when it was taken.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
                    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
                    - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Devon
                      What does "KITLOD" mean?
                      Killed In The Line Of Duty.....
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
                        I'm more freaked out by the fact that there is a way to take a photo that was taken by your IPhone and posted somewhere, and they can get the GPS coordinates off of it. Upload a funny picture of your pet playing in the living room, someone can take that photo and find out where you were standing when it was taken.
                        You can easily disable this on the iPhone. The first time you open the camera it asks if you want to allow it to use your current location (meaning do you want the GPS info attached to the picture's metadata)

Comment

It's 2011; privacy and anonymity are a thing of the past.

Comment

www.pipl.com

same website but you can search by name, phone, email, username.....kinda useful if you want to search for people

Comment

According to this website, I am married. I'm glad they know more about my life than I do.
                              Sky above me, Earth below me.... FIRE inside me

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock. -Squirrel

so you feel like confucious just jumped out of your stale dessert and bestowed infinite wisdom upon you and your grease-filled tummy. - Evan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10056 users online. 346 members and 9710 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X