Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soho, having lived under both Camden and Westminster City councils, I strongly recommend you find a vocation or transfer to the U.S. It makes me sick to hear and read about the craziness there. I didnt think it would get any worse, but it did.

And politically, there is no way out. The tories are the same as labour....nothing like Thatcher vs. Michael Foot in the good ol days!
    Never, Never, Never Give Up!
    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thatch rocked. She'd have been in Baghdad by now, asking where everyone else was.
      She had the right idea with the poll tax. All the crusties hated her and the idea, hence the rioting, but actually, it was a much fairer system then the council tax, which was bought in instead. In poll tax, the tax was worked out on houshold income, not house value, so a house with 2 full time working parents and a full time working son or daughter (over 18) would pay more then a family of 3 where only one parent works, which to me, sounds fair.
      I got a summons in the first year of the council tax when I was in the forces because I, along with a huge number of other servicemen refused to pay it. When we were sent summons forms we had to state why we didn't think we had to pay. We lived and worked on our base. The council didn't collect our waste, a private contractor paid by the MOD did. We didn't need the local police. We didn't need the local fire service either. In fact, the council couldn't come up with one thing that they provided from council tax that we either needed or didn't have provided anyway by the MOD. They still said we had to pay or they'd jail us for non payment. In the end our CO said we'd better pay, so we did, but it just goes to show how the taxation system stinks over here.
      The artist formerly known as Soho Bandit

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Soho bandit:
        but it just goes to show how the taxation system stinks over here.

Hey, that sounds just like what this country's forefathers said right before the Revolution...they even made Boston Harbor into the world's biggest tea kettle to celebrate

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Sig220Man:
          Hey, that sounds just like what this country's forefathers said right before the Revolution...they even made Boston Harbor into the world's biggest tea kettle to celebrate [/QB]

What do you think they'd think of the taxes we pay now? I'm glad they cut the ties but I wish we were only taxed at the rate that sparked the revolution.
          Bill R

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Bill R:

What do you think they'd think of the taxes we pay now? I'm glad they cut the ties but I wish we were only taxed at the rate that sparked the revolution.[/QUOTE]

The big difference is that today we (as a collective group) voted in the politicians that have gotten us into this situation. In some ways we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

That's far different than 230 years ago, when a King over 5,000 miles away did as he pleased.

Comment

Of course you're right Sig. I can still dream though. I just realized something, they're starting the London congestion charge on a holiday. [Wink]
              Bill R

Comment

Soho, Finally thank G-d, someone who appreciates a good leader when they're not there anymore and a moron like Blair and Livingstone are in control of the country and the Capital. I miss leaders like Thatcher and Reagan so much, and for all you Reagan fans out there, he's 92 today!
                Never, Never, Never Give Up!
                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Soho I agree with you on Maggie THATCHER, her poll tax ideas were top notch as you say AND SO WAS SHE! I was very sad to hear what happened, the last time she gave a speech in public, how depressing, really

quote:
                  Originally posted by Soho bandit:
                  Ok, screens - tv, get ya.
                  Yes, we do have to pay a for a TV licence every year to fund the BBC which as Sig correctly states has no advertising. However, you still have to pay even if you pay to have cable or satelite TV, which a lot of people thing is wrong (including me)

the TV licence has been
                  from your old mate
                  c h i e f y
                  global chiefy to yer seadog seafarin' maties

Comment

Chiefy,

Todays Sunday Torygraph (Telegraph)TV licences are going up by 4 quid to

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2541 users online. 156 members and 2385 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X