Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford's New Police Marked Interceptors

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

I saw a couple threads about the unmarked "stealth" version of the sedan, but didn't see one for the regular marked versions.

If you click on the link you'll see both the sedan and SUV Interceptors. Bad thing is both will be V6s, but I hear the Ford Ecoboost V6 has the power of a V8 but fuel economy of a V6. The sedan looks like there will also be an AWD option over FWD.

Instead of posting pics I'll give links to the photo galleries of both the sedan and SUV.

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc...y/photos/sedan

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc...photos/utility

I wonder if my department will be moving to these. I don't really mind the newer Impalas too much, but new stuff is always more fun
    Sure it'd be nice to have the SHO, but realistically speaking, how many departments actualy need one? I assume the standard V6 would be the best selling model, just curious to see as far as AWD or FWD? Personally AWD would be pretty awesome...
    Looks like the standard V6 is rated at around 280hp, that's more then I expected. Should get around pretty well methinks.

Comment

380 HP AWD, who doesn't like that? Gotta wonder how much more money on fuel costs that equates to... Especially with a huge department like LAPD or NYPD.

Comment

Originally posted by zr5667 View Post
        380 HP AWD, who doesn't like that? Gotta wonder how much more money on fuel costs that equates to... Especially with a huge department like LAPD or NYPD.
        I see your point. But, if a PD switches completely over it doesn't mean they have to get AWD in all of them. Nothing wrong with getting mostly FWD and then having just a handful of the AWDs. Like how the NCSHP had a few 4th Gen Camaros, but still mainly kept the Crown Vics. Or, like how in the 80s and early 90s when a PD might have mainly the Crown Vics but had a couple of the Fox body Mustang 5.0s.

The 380 HP version I hear will have a Turbo (or twin turbo, can't remember exactly), while it looks like if the other V6 might have less HP so if that's true then it will be naturally aspirated (so no turbo, turbos or supercharger). But I didn't read it all.
        SouthernGuy8503
        Forum Member
        Last edited by SouthernGuy8503; 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

True, I can see some special purpose cars with that kit being ordered.

I suspect this car, with 280HP will still outclass the old crown vic in every way. I was always amazed at how low the HP was in the crown vic, despite how big the engine is. I realize it has to be durable, but I had a Saab with a 2.4 liter engine that produced as much power as the 4.8 liter crown vic V8.

Comment

A few points.

The 280 V6 should match about the CVPI in performance, like the Charger, but out-handle the CVPI easily. Out handle the Charger, dont know. As for the V6 with the power of a V8, thats true, sort of. It only really performs like a similarly priced V8 at 14,000 feet where the turbos (both of them) can shine. At sea level, the 425 horse charger outperforms it. Now, that comparison is from 38K Taurus to 38K Charger. How the twin turbo V6 Taurus cruiser compares against the Charger police cruiser, hard to say. We have yet to see any pricing on the Taurus, at least I haven't, but the police Charger has 368 or so HP, so its maybe a slight edge to the Ford. But if they can offer the engine out of the 38K car for a competitive price, I will be surprised.

But, if it costs 2-4K more for the Ford, will departments buy it?

Comment

I suspect this car, with 280HP will still outclass the old crown vic in every way. I was always amazed at how low the HP was in the crown vic, despite how big the engine is. I realize it has to be durable, but I had a Saab with a 2.4 liter engine that produced as much power as the 4.8 liter crown vic V8.
              It said on there that the Interceptors had more HP and gets better fuel mileage than the 2011 Crown Vics, I'm assuming it's talking about just the Sedan and not the SUV though. These Interceptors are also purpose built for cops, not factory cars turned into patrol cars. Look at the features and you'll see..... http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc...keyfeatures_01

I just don't want to really know how much these will actually cost lol, at least compared to total cost of a 2011 Crown Vic turned into a police patrol car.

Comment

The V8 in the Ford Crown Vic displaces 4.6 liters. Last I knew, it put out 250 bhp - not very much for an engine that size. The Mustang GT 4.6L put out 300 bhp, but I think it was a 12-valve design (rather than just 8). The Crown Vic is also a heavy car.

That being said, will a front-drive cop car take the beating and abuse that a Crown Vic could handle with aplomb? I doubt it. Perhaps a few thousand of the 2011 Taurus sedans will have to be in service for awhile before judgment can be made on that!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I would like to see a "throw down" with the 2011 Caprice 9C1, the Ford Interceptor and Dodge Charger Pursuit all competing against each other. They should measure EVERYTHING, including performance, durability, braking, handling, purchase price and even crashworthiness.

A vehicle needed by a police department in an urban area of a northern state will differ greatly from one needed by a state highway patrol agency or a rural sheriff's office in a southern state.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernGuy8503 View Post
                    It said on there that the Interceptors had more HP and gets better fuel mileage than the 2011 Crown Vics, I'm assuming it's talking about just the Sedan and not the SUV though. These Interceptors are also purpose built for cops, not factory cars turned into patrol cars. Look at the features and you'll see..... http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc...keyfeatures_01

I just don't want to really know how much these will actually cost lol, at least compared to total cost of a 2011 Crown Vic turned into a police patrol car.
                    All police cars are normal cars turned into police cars. (Except the Carbon)That "purpose built" is just marketing speak, I think. The features are mostly normal stuff that come in every Taurus, like the 75mph, the airbags, and the crash structure. the anti-stab plates and available ballistic door panels are a nice touch, though. Some stuff happens on the line, some stuff happens afterward, in a conversion center, stuff that would cost too much time on the line, like door pillar lights. Special lighting wiring, that would be on the line, since fishing that stuff through the body really has to be done before a lot of other stuff goes in.

Dutch, I think you wont see that til next year, as the FPI (Ford Police Interceptor?) isn't included in the MSP testing for 2011 models.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...6274--,00.html

Comment

Oh, wait, the airbags? They say the sensors have been tuned to ignore shots being fired, and only deploy in crashes? Does this really happen? Have there been any incidents of an officer firing causing airbags to deploy?

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

I would like to see a "throw down" with the 2011 Caprice 9C1, the Ford Interceptor and Dodge Charger Pursuit all competing against each other. They should measure EVERYTHING, including performance, durability, braking, handling, purchase price and even crashworthiness.

A vehicle needed by a police department in an urban area of a northern state will differ greatly from one needed by a state highway patrol agency or a rural sheriff's office in a southern state.
                        They have already. The caprice out performs the other two in pretty much every area.

Comment

Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
                          All police cars are normal cars turned into police cars. (Except the Carbon)That "purpose built" is just marketing speak, I think. The features are mostly normal stuff that come in every Taurus, like the 75mph, the airbags, and the crash structure. the anti-stab plates and available ballistic door panels are a nice touch, though. Some stuff happens on the line, some stuff happens afterward, in a conversion center, stuff that would cost too much time on the line, like door pillar lights. Special lighting wiring, that would be on the line, since fishing that stuff through the body really has to be done before a lot of other stuff goes in.

Dutch, I think you wont see that til next year, as the FPI (Ford Police Interceptor?) isn't included in the MSP testing for 2011 models.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...6274--,00.html
                          Well when I said purpose built, I guess I wasn't specific enough. I just meant it's just more into them than previous/current squad cars. I do remember seeing the "Carbon" awhile back and ya that's 100% purpose built. I guess I used the wrong wording, I knew what I meant in my mind but it came out wrong lol.

Comment

I stand corrected, the Ford was there, but since they were"prototypes", not production models, the numbers are not in the oficial results and dont officially exist. However, I did find them in this article.

The test results of these 2012 model year prototypes officially do not exist. While the acceleration, top speed, braking and lap times are clear for all to see during the testing, so is the caveat that these are prototypes. The performance of the prototype 2012 vehicles is only an indication of the performance of the production 2012 vehicles, and nothing more. Expect the great performance to stay about the same; expect not-so-great performance to improve.
                            http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...aspx?ID=208125

I was disheartened to see the charger lose, but then saw this.....

Here is the head-scratcher: The fast accelerating HEMI Charger and the slow accelerating Charger V6 were tied for second on the road course. That’s right. The Charger 5.7L and the Charger 3.6L had identical lap times. Both were about six car-lengths behind the Caprice. In spite of the Charger V6 having only modest acceleration, it had excellent brakes and outstanding handling. It was one of only two sedans about which the MSP test drivers openly remarked, “Amazing vehicle.”

According to Chrysler Fleet, the Charger 5.7L was later discovered to have a wiring harness problem that retarded the ignition under certain conditions. This was masked during the pure acceleration run but was evident on the road course with the frequent upshifts and downshifts. On the other hand, they also know there are no do-overs. What would Richard Petty do? Again, wait until the LASD tests.
                            I hope the LASD publishes its reports, I'm dying to see how this turn out. The Charger and Chevy V8s should be neck and neck given power to weight and gearing.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernGuy8503 View Post
                              Well when I said purpose built, I guess I wasn't specific enough. I just meant it's just more into them than previous/current squad cars. I do remember seeing the "Carbon" awhile back and ya that's 100% purpose built. I guess I used the wrong wording, I knew what I meant in my mind but it came out wrong lol.
                              But you were more right than you knew. Turns out, the Fords do have a hydroformed center beam that runs lengthwise down then that the civilian models dont have. Adds strength, but also weight.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4540 users online. 293 members and 4247 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X