Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLoridas Gay Mayor

(From the federalist)
    I personally find this to be disgusting.

...And perhaps we should rename the "Sunshine State" the "Put It Where
    The Sun Don't Shine State"! In Recountland, Mayor John Fiore, of
    Wilton Manors, Florida, the city's first gay mayor, is recruiting
    openly homosexual police officers, arguing that the police force
    should reflect the demographics of the city: "I'd like our police
    department to represent the makeup of our city. We already have
    minority officers and I feel that a gay police officer would certainly
    help truly represent the city." The "makeup" of their city? He means a
    real "drag" net?

I guess feather boas and black net stockings and/or leather getups will be a part of the new uniform.

Comment

and just where do they hide their undercover gear??
      I'll post, You argue.

Comment

I would think this would be discrimination. Every person that wants to be a cop should have the same cahnce of getting a job when they walk through the door, not gays to the left, straights to the right. A person's sexual orientation should not enter into it. It's unfair practice.

Comment

Besides making me sick, one of the problems I have with this is the tolerance thing. What you said makes perfect sense Mitzi, except for one thing. It is not being tolerant of me not liking it. Now don't take the wrong idea, I don't object to people being homosexual.

I do object to people openly being gay because I don't think it's normal, and I think it promotes that lifestyle to popel who may not be ready to deal with it. I personally think people who do it are sick. So, given my feelings there, I would not want a gay mayor or police or firemen, etc. I think there is something wrong with those people morally. I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but that's what I think. I don't mind that they practice what ever they do, I just don't think it should be flaunted. This is one of the things that is hurting our country. Not homosexuals, but the idea that anything you want to do is ok, and should be accepted. Some things that are not accepted of course are ok, I'm not saying that everything taboo is bad. Most doctors will tell you that certain parts of the body were not meant for certain activities and I believe them.

Comment

Shoot Mike, and we all thought you had nothing to say.
            Dave Kiefner
            [i]Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die S

Comment

I'm sorry Dave, I just feel that that attitude is hurting us. I don't mean to start anything here.

Comment

There are many gay men and women actively serving as LEO's. Some are very good.

Those that I've known and worked with were no better or worse than their hetero counterparts. In areas with a significant gay population, their presence can be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur:
                  There are many gay men and women actively serving as LEO's. Some are very good.

Those that I've known and worked with were no better or worse than their hetero counterparts. In areas with a significant gay population, their presence can be beneficial.
                  I think that was very well said.

And as for it being unfair practice, as i read it, the post said they were "recruiting" gay officers. To me that means getting more into the mix, to choose from when hiring.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
                  "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Sorry guys, I don't mean to say that individual people that are gay can't do a good job or be an asset. All I am saying is that pushing things like this on people, normalizing it so to speak, to me is not a good idea and I am against it. I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Comment

Personally, I don't believe that a persons sexual orientation should play a part in their professional life. I don't strut around the office proclaiming that I am heterosexual, why should someone who is gay do so?
                      No partner is worth your tears -
                      the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

Hail, Mike, you sure didn't offend me!

I just pointed out some facts. There's no law says you gotta like people. I've got a long list of types I don't feature much and there's all sorts of folks represented on it.

Comment

I Live in the same county as Wilton Manors. I know some of the cops in that city (no not that way) The Mayor can say anything he wants about recruiting gay officers. The fact remains wilton manors has 30 cops, 10,000 residents, pays 20% less than the other departments of the county. So there if anyone who wants to be a cop, can work for a truly progressive agency with advancement opportunities then they will go to a better agency not Wilton Manors. Just so you know, I believe 60-70% of the population of Wilton Manors is gay. The majority of the city council is gay. There is also a pretty large haitian population. Wilton Manors is a much better city than it was 10-15 years ago.

Comment

San Francisco recruited gay officers years ago. This is nothing new.

"I would think this would be discrimination. Every person that wants to be a cop should have the same cahnce of getting a job when they walk through the door, not gays to the left, straights to the right. A person's sexual orientation should not enter into it. It's unfair practice."

Is it? Some, most in fact, argue that being gay is genetic. That would make it no different than being black, asian or hispanic. There are certainly plenty of programs to recruit those groups.

Mike, let me say this, I'm going to quote you, but I'm not attacking you personally. You can feel however you want, but your views represent some things others say, so they're worth commenting on:

"I do object to people openly being gay because I don't think it's normal, and I think it promotes that lifestyle to popel who may not be ready to deal with it."

Why do people need to "deal with it"? Unless a person is openly coming on to you or physically accosts you in some way, the only "dealing with it" is your own personal prejudices.

"I personally think people who do it are sick."

I can drive 3 miles from my house and bring you a congregation of 200 people that think everyone who drinks, smokes or has pre-marital sex is doing something immoral and "sick". Should we keep everyone who does any of those things from being cops too?

"I would not want a gay mayor or police or firemen, etc."

Apparently most of the voters in that city did.

"I think there is something wrong with those people morally. I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but that's what I think."

Not catch hell, but see my comment above. It's all about perspective....... there are those in this country that would say a white man marrying a hispanic woman is "sick" and it is morally wrong. Obviously you'd disagree with them. The point is, who's intolerence do we give more weight to?

"I just don't think it should be flaunted."

Does it bother you much to see a man and a woman kiss in public or hold hands? Aren't they "flaunting" their sexuality?

"but the idea that anything you want to do is ok, and should be accepted."

I certainly don't think that people should be able to do whatever they want, but if 2 men or 2 women want to be partners in bed and even partners in love, who in the hell am I to say that is wrong? Given the divorce rate of hetrosexual couples in this country, I'd say straights certainly haven't got the love thing figured out.

"Most doctors will tell you that certain parts of the body were not meant for certain activities and I believe them."

I won't even dignify that with a comment except to ask a question.......why is it that when people here the word "gay", they immediately think of those "certain activites"? Why couldn't the gay officer being recruited be a woman?

Comment

"I guess feather boas and black net stockings and/or leather getups will be a part of the new uniform."

Cute
                              "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program" ~George W. Bush, November 2, 2000

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3229 users online. 164 members and 3065 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X