Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate crimes/ bias intimidation.

Hey all,

Curious about the opinions of those in LE regarding hate crimes. We recently debated this in the Crim Law class that I teach and lo and behold I was just assigned my first hate crime( we call it bias intimidation). Without going into specifics, it's a case where the underlying offense ordinarily wouldn't even be a superior court matter but for the enhanced offense. Having the discretion to keep it and present it to a grand jury or send it back down to municipal court, I have chosen to present it.

Now, I am in favor of this type of legislation but without stating my reasons now, I am interested to hear from others for or against. I'll respond later but wanted to see if there were any responses besides the typical" you can't legislate thought" argument.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

In my opinion the only crimes that should have any different punishments based on status are crimes against children. I think laws should protect every person in society equaly. No one should be more protected under the law (except children).

Comment

I don't like those kinds of laws. They depart from the facts and delve into abstract. Either someone hit you or they didn't. That's possible to determine with sufficient evidence. Determining the level of motivation and its' bias in an individual's actions is best left to clergy and psychiatrists for personal growth.

I think it's dangerous to let lawyers, judges and juries to make those kinds of judgments without living the life of the individual.

Comment

Enhanced Hate crimes laws are bias'd and unfair themselves and I that is why I don't like them.

You give a harsher sentence for a more heinous/serious crime.

So if a white guy gets beat up his attacker is sentenced to 1 year in jail. But if a gay guy gets beat up his attacker gets sentenced to 2 years.

So your saying that beating up a white guy is a lesser crime then beating up a gay guy?

Your also saying gays, minorities and whomever else are more protected then everyone else because they are somehow more important and valuable.

If I saw murderer of a black man get sentenced to life in prison for the hate crime and then my own father gets murdered but because it is not a hate crime his murderer only gets 25 years in prison I'd be extremely ****ed.

It's ridiculous and disgusting

Comment

Such decreases regular crime. When is crime a "love crime"?

What about the poor robber who robs white rich houses? Is that hate crime becuase he hates them? Point is this is a slippery slope.
          Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

It really, really depends. One time a Hasidic Jew was in a bank and cut someone off on the line. The guy he cut told him to go to the back of the line and the Jewish guy told him to F*** off. The guy ends up punching the Jewish guy in the face and leaves the bank. If that happened to anyone else, it would have been a single sector car assigned to take a report and MAYBE have another car canvass, maybe. The Brooklyn Borough Duty Captain, Precinct Lieutenant, 8 Sector cars, Task Force, and 'Biased-Crime' Detectives responded to the bank and it was classified as a hate crime. Obviously it was not a hate crime and just because crime happens to befall someone who is in a different group, doesn't mean it should be a hate crime.

Comment

Consistent rules that apply to all would be the ideal answer.

Unfortunately we have given in to pandering to the "victim" mentality here in America. But this only goes one way, certain populations are the only ones who can claim to be hated, while other can not.

In other words, hate crimes are crap.
              The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
              After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Originally posted by 10-7Alpha View Post
                Consistent rules that apply to all would be the ideal answer.

Unfortunately we have given in to pandering to the "victim" mentality here in America. But this only goes one way, certain populations are the only ones who can claim to be hated, while other can not.

In other words, hate crimes are crap.
                Yes indeed...... These types of laws, although probably put into place with good intentions, create paradigms which appear to make it less severe if certain parties commit certain crimes but more serious when others do. The law is supposed to be fair and just for all, not catering to certain races or groups of people. This is some of the reason that "certain people," always throw the race card or claim discrimination at the mere thought of not getting their way........because of laws like these which make them think they are entitled to be put above all others in situations instead of being treated the same. Most of these laws have the politically correct disorder behind them in some way, shape, or form adding to the growing absurdity in this country.
                Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. - Matthew 5:9

Welcome to the greatest show on earth......

Comment

Hate crimes laws are the product of politicians pandering to specific groups.

Comment

Originally posted by yammahoppy View Post
                    In my opinion the only crimes that should have any different punishments based on status are crimes against children. I think laws should protect every person in society equaly. No one should be more protected under the law (except children).
                    Children and "at risk adults"

Extra judicial action for those who look to society as a whole to protect them
                    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Aren't all crimes hate crimes? So the saying goes.

I don't agree with them. If only because I think these sorts of laws be they hate crime or AA have a counter-intuitive effect. Rather than bring about racial parity and reducing racism, I think they only cause more racism.

Comment

Originally posted by yammahoppy View Post
                        In my opinion the only crimes that should have any different punishments based on status are crimes against children. I think laws should protect every person in society equally. No one should be more protected under the law (except children).
                        That pretty well sums up my opinion as well. IMO, children deserve special protection because of their inherent vulnerability. I might even be persuaded that the mentally ill, the elderly, and the retarded deserve special protection for the same reason. Otherwise, the penalty for a crime should be based upon the crime itself, not upon the race of the victim or of the perpetrator. If (for the sake of argument) a black guy is killed by a white guy, why should the penalty be greater than if he were killed in the exact same manner by another black guy?
                        "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                        But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                        "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                        We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Originally posted by HeadDoc View Post
                          ......the penalty for a crime should be based upon the crime itself, not upon the race of the victim or of the perpetrator. If (for the sake of argument) a black guy is killed by a white guy, why should the penalty be greater than if he were killed in the exact same manner by another black guy?

BAM!! Someone just hit the nail right on the head. Go to the head of the class, sir!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

The penalty should be based on the perpetrator, not the victim. Period.

What robbery victim gives a crap why they were attacked? Once it's happened to you, the reason is a moot point. Tell me who did it, that you have them in custody, and what time to come testify against them; I'm good. Stop trying to complicate the issue: I'm the good guy, right there's the bad guy.
                            If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

A hate crime is considered any crime that is committed against a person because of his or her race, national origin, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.

The penalties are enhanced because the dcrime was motivated soley by hate for a specific one of the above.. The example of the Jew cutting in line and catching a beating is not a hate crime simply because he is Jewish. If the guy was screaming "I hate your jewish arse" while delivering the beating then it could be considered a hate crime.

A white guy kills a black guy. Not a hate crime just because of their race. Screaming "I hate (Insert N word here)" Yes hate and race motivated. Like wise Black guy kills white, jewish, gay, disabled male, not a hate crime intil the hateful motivation is found.

The motivation for the crime is where the hate enhancement can be brought, not the mere preformance of a interracial crime... Politics can play a role, ut not as much as the inability of officers to do a complete and sound investigation. If the hate is there charge under the enhanced hate penalties. If not then don't.

Hate crime statutes are useful and work well it applied properly and evenly across the boards. Black on white crime can be hate motivated as can white on black and gay on straight.

I pray for the day that a group of black, gay, "Special" folks gang up on and beat a white dude because he is not gay, black and "special" while screaming "I hate Whitey"... Enhanced penalties all around.
                              It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2796 users online. 193 members and 2603 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X