300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA (Middlesex) Sheriff Under Investigation Kills Himself in Maine

The embattled sheriff of Middlesex County, James V. DiPaola, was discovered dead today of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound in an oceanfront resort in Wells, Maine, according to Wells police amid an ethics investigation of his office and a week after he announced his retirement.

A statement released tonight by the police in Wells, a coastal town in southern Maine, said DiPaola was discovered by hotel workers lying on a bed, with an apparent gunshot wound to the head.

•11/21 A scheme to collect a pension and salary
    •11/23 Ethics inquiry not tied to resignation, pension
    •11/25 Middlesex sheriff's retirement approved
    A hotel maid had become concerned when DiPaola failed to leave his room by checkout time and summoned the manager of the Lafayette Resorts on Mile Road.
    Wells police said they were called to the hotel about 12:28 p.m. and when they entered the room, they found a note several pages long that DiPaola had left behind, along with a gun.

The Middlesex Sheriff's Office confirmed "the sudden death" of DiPaola, a former Malden police officer and state representative who was first elected sheriff in 1996 and re-elected this month.

"At this time we ask that the family's privacy be respected during this difficult time," the statement reads. "Operations at the Middlesex Sheriff's Office will continue under the direction of Special Sheriff John Granara."

Reaction from top state officials to the news of DiPaola's death was swift.

"I am deeply saddened by the death of Sheriff DiPaola, with whom I had the chance to serve in the House of Representatives," House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo said in a statement. "My thoughts and prayers go out to his family."

DiPaola's name had burst into the news in the past week, when the Globe reported that the longtime sheriff had hatched a scheme that would have allowed him to collect a $98,500 pension at the same time he earned a sheriff's salary of $123,000.

After reporters confronted him, DiPaola abandoned his plans to take advantage of the loophole in the pension law and said that, instead, he would resign in January.

Just a day after that Globe report, DiPaola acknowledged that the State Ethics Commission is investigating the Middlesex Sheriff's Office. That probe, he said, had nothing to do with his pension. Instead, ethics investigators are reviewing whether workers in the sheriff's office raised money for his re-election, a practice forbidden by state law.

"When it comes out, I am confident it will find no wrongdoing on my part," the sheriff told the Globe. "Nothing happened under my direction."
    Everybody counts or no one counts.
    -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
    -Ronald Reagan

"When it comes out, I am confident it will find no wrongdoing on my part," the sheriff told the Globe. "Nothing happened under my direction."
    Rather a mute point now, isn't it? Too bad. There must have been more to the story than is being released to the public.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

DiPaola's name had burst into the news in the past week, when the Globe reported that the longtime sheriff had hatched a scheme that would have allowed him to collect a $98,500 pension at the same time he earned a sheriff's salary of $123,000.

After reporters confronted him, DiPaola abandoned his plans to take advantage of the loophole in the pension law and said that, instead, he would resign in January.
      100k a year v.s. 200k a year and he punches out? Does not compute.
      The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
      After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Originally posted by 10-7Alpha View Post
        100k a year v.s. 200k a year and he punches out? Does not compute.
        Reading between the lines I'm thinking he was fully expecting a nice prison term for something.

Just an assumption on my part though.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by vincelli View Post
          Reading between the lines I'm thinking he was fully expecting a nice prison term for something.

Just an assumption on my part though.

-V
          And/or a loss of face.

Sometimes people you have reached "great heights" can not handle the long fall. Even being found "guilty" of an ethics violation where no jail time is involved can be very demeaning to someone who's ego is extremely healthy.

It is sad.
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Reminds me of a sense of "belated honor" that sometimes rears its head. I recall a certain admiral - high up in the chain of command, if I remember correctly - who was found to be wearing a ribbon or medal he never earned. He was so distraught over the "loss of face" or embarrassed so deeply that he ended up committing suicide over it.

Can't think of his name (started with a "B"), but I think his 'false awards' discovery took place during the late 1990s. Maybe he was associated with the Clintons - LOL!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Reminds me of a sense of "belated honor" that sometimes rears its head. I recall a certain admiral - high up in the chain of command, if I remember correctly - who was found to be wearing a ribbon or medal he never earned. He was so distraught over the "loss of face" or embarrassed so deeply that he ended up committing suicide over it.

Can't think of his name (started with a "B"), but I think his 'false awards' discovery took place during the late 1990s. Maybe he was associated with the Clintons - LOL!
              The Admiral you're thinking of is Jeremy Boorda. He was CNO during the Clinton administration, and the award in question that he did not rate was 2 "V" devices affixed to awards he actually rated.

Comment

It's been determined that what he was doing was perfectly legal and as the governer put it a "legal loophole" it allowed those that were retired to later run for public office but did not say they couldn't retire while in office (timing it with election season) and run again. His last public statements I think reflect the latest events. Purely trying to read between the lines granted. I'm thinking after 36yrs in office he had dug himself a financial hole and was in over his head probably living well above his means. He then felt he disgraced a near perfect 36yrs public service on top of it.

"I made a black-and-white decision based on finances instead of my moral compass to run for reelection and to apply for retirement," DiPaola wrote.

He said reporter Sean Murphy of the Globe told him on Friday that if he collected both sums, it would be the only thing he was remembered for.
                "Being an elected official is about public service, and not always the best financial deal," DiPaola wrote. "Shortly after my discussion with Sean I decided that I would not continue my original course.

Read more: http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com...#ixzz16bcsCayv
                Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Well, that won't look good in court....
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Smurfette
                  Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                  Originally posted by DAL
                  You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine0083 View Post
                    The Admiral you're thinking of is Jeremy Boorda. He was CNO during the Clinton administration, and the award in question that he did not rate was 2 "V" devices affixed to awards he actually rated.
                    Wow, he did it over the V's. He was allowed to wear the bronze star (for merit), but not for valor. The medals even say MERIT on the back of them. My grandfather had the bronze with two clusters for "merit".

What the sherrif was trying to pull of was astronomically worse.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                    - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4349 users online. 269 members and 4080 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X