Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about BailBondsmen

Quick question.

I just watched a episode of Cops. A policeman was responding to a Bailsbondman who was trying to catch a guy. While the cop was walking up, the bondsman was explaining the situation in "officer" speak. The officer actually laughed at the bondsman. The criminal was in a home and the bondsman was going to knock the door down to get the guy. The officers surrounded the front door (I noticed the bondsman was by himself) and the bondsman knocked down the door, then everybody rushed in and got the guy.

The question is, are there times when you let bounty hunter's "take lead" in apprehensions?

they can have the lead at anytime: THEY are the ones who have intel bad guy is inside, THEY are the ones who have more power than LEOs as far as fugitive apprehension goes and who are responsibe if something bad happens when a stranger, (them), just kicks in someones door.
    I missed the episode.....was the bounty hunter dressed in ninja gear.... complete with 4-17 caribiners, SMG, TASER, shotgun, SAP gloves, etc????
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

They are called "Bail Enforcement Agents" much of the time and they have a lot more latitude in going after bad guys than do most LEOs. When an accused person is out on bail (put up by a bail bondsman), they essentially sign over their arse to that bail agent.

The bail bonding company is "out" their money until the bail jumper is returned to custody, so they have a vested interest in getting them back. The bail enforcement agent probably doesn't get paid until he gets the accused criminal back in front of the bench.

In the aforementioned episode of "COPS," I think they were in Wichita, Kansas. I remember seeing it a few years ago. In some places, the relationship between police officers and bail agents might be tight & professional - but stressful and tenuous elsewhere. Some cops might see them as wannabe Navy SEALs or rouge thugs one notch above the criminals they seek to catch.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I missed the episode.....was the bounty hunter dressed in ninja gear.... complete with 4-17 caribiners, SMG, TASER, shotgun, SAP gloves, etc????

And with a badge..

Comment

Actually, if it's the episode I'm thinking of, the Bail Agent was one of the more realistic/professional ones, just out to do his job (think he may have been former LE).

Can't be sure as the OP hasn't posted any footage and it's been a long time since I watched COPS.

Unfortunately, while they serve a purpose, for every decent Bail Agent there are at least ten who think they are the next: Dog the Bounty Molester.

-V

Comment

After they hooked the guy, did the bondsman tell him to call him so he could re-bond him??? saw that on "Dog" a few years back..hooked him then told him he would re-bond him.
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
              they can have the lead at anytime: THEY are the ones who have intel bad guy is inside, THEY are the ones who have more power than LEOs as far as fugitive apprehension goes and who are responsibe if something bad happens when a stranger, (them), just kicks in someones door.
              Originally posted by vincelli View Post
              Actually, if it's the episode I'm thinking of, the Bail Agent was one of the more realistic/professional ones, just out to do his job (think he may have been former LE).

-V
              Yea I have seen that one before also..............................

They have a job to do & are normally nothing like Dog............................
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

^^^ oh i agree. I have only dealt with a handful, but those have been the "Dog" kind and better armed and dressed than me
                The Tick

sanitizer

Comment

After they hooked the guy, did the bondsman tell him to call him so he could re-bond him???

No he didnt say anything like that. It just struck me how the bailbonds man took the lead in breaching the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Stpn2me View Post
                    After they hooked the guy, did the bondsman tell him to call him so he could re-bond him???

No he didnt say anything like that. It just struck me how the bailbonds man took the lead in breaching the house.
                    That is odd, but the bondsman can do it without a warrant because he's not an agent of the government (hence 4th Amendment doesn't apply). Now if the bondsman is wrong or gets his arse blown away, that's on him. He can get charged criminally and civilly if he screws up. He's not covered under applicable immunity laws like LEOs are.
                    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

That is odd, but the bondsman can do it without a warrant because he's not an agent of the government (hence 4th Amendment doesn't apply).

But isnt that home invasion? Seems that if law enforcement cant come in your house, why should what is basically a citizen allowed too? If your car is going to get repossessed, the tow truck driver cant tear down your garage door to get the car...

Comment

That is odd, but the bondsman can do it without a warrant because he's not an agent of the government (hence 4th Amendment doesn't apply).

But isnt that home invasion? Seems that if law enforcement cant come in your house, why should what is basically a citizen allowed too? If your car is going to get repossessed, the tow truck driver cant tear down your garage door to get the car...
                        As opined in Taylor v. Taintor, and barring restrictions applicable state by state, a bounty hunter can enter the fugitive's private property without a warrant in order to execute a re-arrest. They cannot, however, enter the property of anyone other than the fugitive without a warrant or the owner's permission, unless they have "reasonable belief" that the fugitive is present. Note, "reasonable belief" requires less evidence than "probable cause". Basically, this entitles the investigator to search anyones property without a warrant whom he determines may believe is hiding the fugitive.
                        So sayeth the all knowing wikipedia.

Comment

Basically, this entitles the investigator to search anyones property without a warrant whom he determines may believe is hiding the fugitive.

He better have good proof that person was in there. He could get sued out the yin yang! Or he could be shot! I have watched Dog the Bounty Hunter and others and it seems they try to act with the authority of LE to me. There has to be a point where his conversations with those other than his target can say get out or no, you cant come in. It just seems to me they overstep their bounds sometimes to me...

Comment

Basically, this entitles the investigator to search anyones property without a warrant whom he determines may believe is hiding the fugitive.

He better have good proof that person was in there. He could get sued out the yin yang! Or he could be shot! I have watched Dog the Bounty Hunter and others and it seems they try to act with the authority of LE to me. There has to be a point where his conversations with those other than his target can say get out or no, you cant come in. It just seems to me they overstep their bounds sometimes to me...
                            That's what I was thinking when I read it. Also, exactly what constitutes a reasonable belief? And if the court finds the bail bondsman did have a reasonable belief (but was wrong), what sort of liability might the bail bondsman have?..

Comment

bwahahahahahaahahah

Bounty_Hunter_Picture.jpg
                              sigpic

Originally posted by mitojo
                              I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3117 users online. 147 members and 2970 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X