Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange situation in which an officer brought his rifle into a bar.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange situation in which an officer brought his rifle into a bar.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/apd-...le-687584.html

APD officer faces possible suspension after carrying rifle into Underground Atlanta

An Atlanta police officer faces suspension after allegedly flirting with vigilantism early Saturday morning at a popular late night club downtown.

Patrons at Underground Atlanta reported seeing a man, who did not identify himself as a police officer, toting an assault rifle into Scores bar and restaurant. APD colleagues cited Officer Donald Vickers for reckless conduct after a call was placed to 911, police spokesman Curtis Davenport said.

Vickers, placed on administrative leave, was not arrested but could be suspended pending a meeting with Chief George Turner, which could occur as early as Friday.

The four-year APD veteran had come to Underground to pick up his girlfriend, Davenport said. Before leaving, he interceded in a situation involving three young men being hauled away by security guards.

"They were giving the security guards a hard time," Davenport said. Vickers retrieved his AR-15 out of his car and pointed a flashlight to it so the rowdy patrons could see the weapon. The three men scampered away on foot, Davenport said.

Davenport said it's unclear whether the officer overstepped his authority. Officers are expected to respond if they witness a felony in progress. Otherwise, it's left up to the officer's discretion, the APD spokesman said.

It will be interesting to learn the details surrounding this event.
    There are so many wanna-be gang bangers around that area at night that I'm not even surprised. Everyone is so sick of them.

I have no problem with this unless officer get jammed up.

Comment

Why in the heck would he NOT properly identify himself as a police officer? Jeez!

Me thinks I would get a case of the creeps if I saw an unknown person walking around (at night in an urban area, I assume) carrying an AR-15.

Is there more to this story than meets the eye? I would say that is probably a safe bet.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

If I was in a bar... (Which I never am anymore) I wouldnt bother getting involved in a skirmish between bouncers and some drunk idiots. Let the bouncers bounce em, or call the on-duty police.

Gotta switch it off... especially around places where alcohol is...
        Retired 02/01/13

Comment

"Giving the security guard a hard time" leads to rifle being brandished?

That's not what guns are for. I agree with the citation. As a LEO I would hope he has some other method of helping the situation. Is that how he responds to his calls? Simply grabs the rifle hoping to scare the problem away?

Comment

Some places not seeing a rifle causes more concern.

Comment

^^^^^^
              Eh Mediocre at best. Still the M 16 adds a hot factor. Maybe I'd at least lay down a towel to soap up the blood before gnawing my arm off.
              Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

Brad601, those girls may be mediocre to you but I live in a hillbilly town where them is some knock down, beauty pageant winning things right thar.

Comment

Hey we can carry off duty so why not be a rifle
                  Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

I don't see much wrong with it except shining a flashligh on it. It is not what I would do at all. I will not judge his actions since I was not there. I am also wanting to hear the rest that is not in the article.
                    What Is A Veteran?
                    A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Is there more to this story than meets the eye? I would say that is probably a safe bet.
                      I think "Waganbach" is right...media paints such a tainted picture. Will be interesting to see the facts that turn up

Comment

Originally posted by bigcop97 View Post
                        If I was in a bar... (Which I never am anymore) I wouldnt bother getting involved in a skirmish between bouncers and some drunk idiots. Let the bouncers bounce em, or call the on-duty police.

Gotta switch it off... especially around places where alcohol is...
                        ^^^^^^this is absolutely the correct answer!

Comment

Not all facts are known and the media has the ablitly to twist things around.

The flashlight could have been used to check for weapon condition, round in chamber, safety, or just happened that he held it in such a way without any darn reason.

The off duty officer witnessed an even that needed assistance. It's called iniative. Courage to step up. Honor in doing the right thing and taking action. What would have been worse is if he had ignored the need for quick law presence and the three thugs beat down the single security guard.

He might have not had any other weapon to grab and or intend to use he rifle as a hand to hand weapon rather than to shoot it. Who knows? All we know is he took action and the sit was handled. Move on. All sides learned from it. Perps learned that cops are everywhere and will do what's needed/ right. Cop learned he might should carry a vest with police on it....
                          Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

I thought you Georgians were big supporters of open carry, so I don't see what the problem is.
                            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                              Not all facts are known and the media has the ablitly to twist things around.

The flashlight could have been used to check for weapon condition, round in chamber, safety, or just happened that he held it in such a way without any darn reason.

The off duty officer witnessed an even that needed assistance. It's called iniative. Courage to step up. Honor in doing the right thing and taking action. What would have been worse is if he had ignored the need for quick law presence and the three thugs beat down the single security guard.

He might have not had any other weapon to grab and or intend to use he rifle as a hand to hand weapon rather than to shoot it. Who knows? All we know is he took action and the sit was handled. Move on. All sides learned from it. Perps learned that cops are everywhere and will do what's needed/ right. Cop learned he might should carry a vest with police on it....
                              The fact is that he introduced a firearm to a situation that did not involve one until he showed up. He significantly increased the odds of a violent result and I highly doubt he followed his department's use of force policies. Considering he was cited by fellow officers before the media reported on the story I think you can kiss your "media twists things around" theory goodbye.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4257 users online. 304 members and 3953 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X