"Yeah, I'm ready to kill cops right now"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Yeah, I'm ready to kill cops right now"

A knife-wielding man with a death wish who called 911 ranting "I'm ready to kill some cops" was gunned down by police in front of his upper Manhattan home early Sunday.

Emmanuel Paulino, 24, shrugged off the Taser darts that cops first used outside his Inwood apartment building and lunged at officers, who fired at least nine times, killing him, police said.

"This is suicide by cop," a police source said last night.

In a transcript of the 911 call that set off the deadly early-morning confrontation, Paulino implored an operator to send police to his Vermilyea Ave. address.

"I'm ready to kill some cops right now," he told an operator.

The operator asked, "What's going on there?" Paulino repeated, "Yeah, I'm ready to kill cops right now" and demanded, "Okay, yeah, get 'em. ... I'll be right here."

Officers from the 34th Precinct showed up at Paulino's apartment building at 5:37 a.m. and found him in front brandishing a 4-inch knife.

"They're initially backing off," the source said of the responding cops. "He [Paulino] keeps coming, and he's saying, 'Shoot me in the head,' [or] words to that effect."

A police sergeant hit him with a Taser gun, but Paulino pulled the dartlike electrodes from his chest and kept charging, the source said.

"The darts went into him," another police source said. "He's being shocked at the time, and he pulls the darts out [and] continued toward the officers with the knife."

Two officers opened fire on Paulino with their guns as relatives and friends pleaded with him to drop the knife.

Paulino died at New York-Presbyterian Hospital Columbia. Police said the deadly shooting appeared to be justified.

Friends and relatives defended Paulino as harmless and accused the police of killing him for no reason.

"He was shot because of excessive force," said Alex Candelario, 27, a cousin. "He was a good kid, a humble guy. He didn't deserve this."

Friends said Paulino was unemployed and on anti-depressant medication.

Adding to the chaos was another 911 call simultaneously made by neighbors complaining of a rowdy party on Vermilyea Ave. near W. 207th St.

It was unclear if the two incidents were related.

At least six cops from the 34thPrecinct responded to the 911 calls, sources said.

"People were yelling in the streets and being crazy," said neighbor Jose Lopez, 38. "There's drugs and parties here every weekend."

Elisabeth Rodriguez, 28, said she was awakened by noise in the street and saw the standoff through the window of her first-floor apartment. "He [Paulino] was getting angrier and pacing around," she said. "He was walking in circles, not lunging."

Police said at least nine civilian witnesses backed up their account.

Paulino, who lived with his mother and sisters, was imprisoned after pleading guilty last year to importing heroin, and freed from prison in March, records show. The court recommended mental-health treatment for him in prison.

Inwood man shot, killed by cops was hit with Taser - but yanked it out: cops

Shockingly, the family feels the officers used excessive force. "He was a good kid", and on the news was saying that the cops didn't have to kill him, he wasn't a threat....just cause he called 911 and threatened to kill cops, had a knife, resisted arrest and advanced on officers don't make him a bad guy, right??
    “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Nowadays, the media and a large portion of the public will scream "excessive force" if I so much as look at somebody in a way that "offends" them. People just don't understand what we do, why we do it, or what goes on in tense situations like this.

All I can say is thank God that the Officers went home safe. Bad guy wanted to get killed, he got his wish.
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
      Excessive force? Are you F*CKING KIDDING ME?! He resisted, charged police with a knife and threatened to kill them. How is that NOT justified?!
      It is justified of course, but as usual the scumbags family, and the other trash in the area are going to try and hang the officers out to dry. It does not matter what the situation was. He was a good kid, and the officers should have done this or that. BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. MAKES ME SICK!!!!!!

Comment

The problem is that there's just not enough practice at re-quals of shooting knives out of bad guy's hands.
        “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

I hate reading stories like this because it just makes me feel further disconnected from that segment of society. It makes me realize how much of a different world those people are living in. A world where threatening people and disobeying police is considered excusable behavior. I don't mean to sound naive. This isn't news to me or anything. But everytime I think about it, it strikes me as disturbing. It makes me want to send these people to an island or something. It brings me back to Freshman year political philosophy... these people are living outside of the social contract. They are not a part of civilized society, and yet they live right beside us.
          "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

"He was shot because of excessive force," said Alex Candelario, 27, a cousin.
            Yeah, his own threats of deadly force. That whole Ability/Opportunity/Jeopardy thing can get you shot if you don't smarten up and put the weapon down.

"There's drugs and parties here every weekend."
            Really? Who'da thunk it.

Paulino, who lived with his mother and sisters, was imprisoned after pleading guilty last year to importing heroin, and freed from prison in March, records show. The court recommended mental-health treatment for him in prison.
            Uh huh.
            --
            Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Originally posted by Shaidon View Post
              Nowadays, the media and a large portion of the public will scream "excessive force" if I so much as look at somebody in a way that "offends" them. People just don't understand what we do, why we do it, or what goes on in tense situations like this.

All I can say is thank God that the Officers went home safe. Bad guy wanted to get killed, he got his wish.
              Not as large a portion of the public as you think. By the way, IMO a large portion of the public views media as a sham. I can almost guarantee you that the reporters talked to a witness who said the officers did what they had to do. No quote from those people. Apparently that doesn't sell papers.

Comment

I think 80% of the media is liberal and their goal is to turn people against power, government and personal responsibility.
                It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Yeah well... they're ready to kill you.

Comment

Ummmmm, JUSTIFIED AND APPROPRIATE force.
                    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      It is justified of course, but as usual the scumbags family, and the other trash in the area are going to try and hang the officers out to dry. It does not matter what the situation was. He was a good kid, and the officers should have done this or that. BLAH,BLAH,BLAH. MAKES ME SICK!!!!!!
                      On the plus side, it sounds like there's a lot of witnesses that back the police officers on the scene.

Comment

Roger Murtaugh: See how easy that was? Boom, still alive. Now we question him. You know why we question him? Because I got him in the leg. I didn't shoot him full of holes or try to jump off a building with him.

Martin Riggs: Hey, that's no fair. The building guy lived.
                        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by JJHunsacker View Post
                          Not as large a portion of the public as you think. By the way, IMO a large portion of the public views media as a sham. I can almost guarantee you that the reporters talked to a witness who said the officers did what they had to do. No quote from those people. Apparently that doesn't sell papers.
                          Trust me, I've been in LE long enough to know that it isn't the majority, but the vocal minority who are doing this. I know that it's not everyone who believes this, but there are enough that it becomes discouraging. Nothing we can do, but this is all you hear about now. Yet another reason why I don't watch the news or read the paper 8)
                          I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

"He was shot because of excessive force," said Alex Candelario, 27, a cousin. "He was a good kid, a humble guy. He didn't deserve this."

Can we pass a rule where people who say stuff that stupid can get slapped around?
                            Applied USSS 1811 0809, TEA 1009, Initial 1109, BQA'd 1209

Applied Federal Agency 0083 0310, Phone 1010

Comment

They just saved the tax payer some money

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9965 users online. 351 members and 9614 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X