Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arlington County to withdraw from ICE program

I don't understand how this can happen.

ARLINGTON, Va. - The Arlington County Board has officially notified U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Virginia State Police they will be withdrawing from the federal Secure Communities Initiative.
    The board voted unanimously Tuesday, saying the program promotes a "culture of fear and distrust of law enforcement that threatens public safety and makes communities less safe."

The Secure Communities Initiative allows ICE to exchange information between federal, state and local law enforcement agencies in order to assist communities in reducing the problems associated with illegal immigration.

Along with the resolution, Arlington County Sheriff Beth Arthur and Chief of Police Douglas Scott released a joint statement saying they will not enforce federal immigration law:

"In our normal day-today work, our Sheriff's deputies and our police officers have not - and will not -- monitor, detain, interview, or investigate a person solely for the purpose of determining their immigration status. Action by our law enforcement officers is based upon reasonable suspicion or probable cause of criminal activity, and we have a strong policy against racial profiling which prohibits our deputies and officers from taking action based solely on that individual's race, ethnicity, or national origin."

The county board also called upon Congress to enact "meaningful and comprehensive immigration reform" that does not interfere with community-oriented policing strategies.
    http://wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2064967

I really do live in liberal hell.
    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
    I really do live in liberal hell.
    Dumbasses.... I guess they don't want the PD to mess with the "fine citizens" that live along Columbia Pike....or over in the Mount Vernon Ave area that just happen to be illegal.....and just happen to be in violation of the law.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      Dumbasses.... I guess they don't want the PD to mess with the "fine citizens" that live along Columbia Pike....or over in the Mount Vernon Ave area that just happen to be illegal.....and just happen to be in violation of the law.....
      I see you live this area. The west end of Columbia Pike is a mess. I live north of N 10th Street and feel somewhat safe and believe most of our police officers are good people and do not agree with the county board.
      Last edited by Justsaying; 09-28-2010, 03:33 PM.
      It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

Comment

If this is the case then both the police chief and the sheriff should be removed from office, charged, convicted, and then imprisoned for aiding and abetting illegal immigrants. I hear that carries a 5 year visit with the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Comment

Personally, it sounds like a CYA move on the county's part in the wake of the hellstorm Arizona raised by trying to address the illegal immigration problem. This could very well be Arlington's way of saying, "Y'all aren't going to let us enforce the law anyway, so we're not going to waste our time trying to help."
          Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
          Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

I see you live this area.
            Use to....Out in Honolulu now... That place was a cluster when I left it and I am sure its even worse now.... I lived in Crystal City, so it wasn't too bad....but when I was out and about putting around.....that part of town was just a mess.....and I tried to avoid.....

Comment

Um well now we know where the illegals that run from AZ will be heading. Guess it's time to move back home to AZ!!! Yippie.... sorry Arlington.
              "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

BTW if they are a culture in fear of LE then guess what? Maybe they should actually make an effort to learn and speak English and get their papers in order. I've spoken to some who have been here for 10 years, speak no english and have never even tried to get papers, this is the USA. The spoken, written and used language in the USA today is English and all foriegn nationals who wish to live here must apply for papers to do so. If I went to live in Mexico, Europe, China or any other country I would have to get papers so why should they be special? Try going to Europe without papers , you won't last long trust me...
                "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

Originally posted by chad7613 View Post
                  Um well now we know where the illegals that run from AZ will be heading. Guess it's time to move back home to AZ!!! Yippie.... sorry Arlington.
                  They already are running there from neighboring Prince William County. The only place in NOVA with any sense regarding this issue.
                  sigpic
                  Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                  And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by Murf425 View Post
                    Personally, it sounds like a CYA move on the county's part in the wake of the hellstorm Arizona raised by trying to address the illegal immigration problem. This could very well be Arlington's way of saying, "Y'all aren't going to let us enforce the law anyway, so we're not going to waste our time trying to help."

No, the county made it public that they are a safe place for illegals before Arizona made their changes, Arlington is truly liberal hell. When I retire I will be moving to real Virginia, down in James City County where you don't see day labors at Home Depot there.

Comment

Anything north of Fredericksburg really isn't part of Virginia anymore. This great state has taken a turn for the worse in recent years.

Seems more and more that the northernmost counties of VA are just part of DC and Maryland. Ack! Sometimes it makes me want to sell everything I own, quit my job and buy a cabin way down in Highland County. Jeez!

P.S. Kudos to some people in Prince William County who have taken a politically incorrect stand against being a 'santuary city' for illegals. Woodbridge is still Hoodbridge, though.
                      Last edited by VA Dutch; 09-29-2010, 02:36 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I hope to retire in 5 years and will move to real Virginia soon after.

Comment

I remember that in 1996, they refused to acknowledge that they had a gang problem, notwithstanding all the gang graffiti. They had a definite head-in-the-sand approach.
                          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                            I remember that in 1996, they refused to acknowledge that they had a gang problem, notwithstanding all the gang graffiti. They had a definite head-in-the-sand approach.
                            How did that happen?

We still have a problem with gangs, I remember a police officer came to our FD training one night to talk to us about gangs. We saw some photos, the kind that don't get seen by the public, we have had this problem for a very long time. This training was in the late 80s. Arlington has a way of staying out of the news.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
                              They already are running there from neighboring Prince William County. The only place in NOVA with any sense regarding this issue.
                              Not the only place. Fairfax turns more over to ICE than PWC does. They just don't make a big deal out of it and put it in the paper.

How did that happen?

We still have a problem with gangs, I remember a police officer came to our FD training one night to talk to us about gangs. We saw some photos, the kind that don't get seen by the public, we have had this problem for a very long time. This training was in the late 80s. Arlington has a way of staying out of the news.

Arlington defined a gang as a group of individuals banding together in a single jurisdiction for a criminal enterprise, or something like that. The kicker was the single location or jurisdiction. Since every gang around here crosses jurisdictional boundaries, they could say, "Oh we don't have gangs in Arlington."

I guess the Chief could get away with it, but the Sheriff should be impeached for violating 19.2-83.2

§ 19.2-83.2. Jail officer to ascertain citizenship of inmate.

Whenever any person is taken into custody at any jail, the sheriff or other officer in charge of such facility shall inquire as to whether the person (i) was born in a country other than the United States, and (ii) is a citizen of a country other than the United States. The sheriff or other officer in charge of such facility shall make an immigration alien query to the Law Enforcement Support Center of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement for any person who (i) was born in a country other than the United States, and (ii) is a citizen of a country other than the United States, or for whom the answer to (i) or (ii) is unknown. The sheriff or other officer in charge shall communicate the results of any immigration alien query to the Local Inmate Data System of the State Compensation Board. The State Compensation Board shall communicate, on a monthly basis, the results of any immigration alien query that results in a confirmation that the person is illegally present in the United States to the Central Criminal Records Exchange of the Department of State Police in a format approved by the Exchange. The information received by the Central Criminal Records Exchange concerning the person's immigration status shall be recorded in the person's criminal history record.

If I recall correctly, she was the old Sheriff's assistant or something before getting elected? So it is not like she ever really did the job before becoming the boss. I might be wrong on that, but I guess an Arlington Deputy could correct me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3486 users online. 244 members and 3242 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X