Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several years back, I stopped and cited a local physician who not only worked part time in a nearby ER, but was also a frequent commentator on a local TV station. His comment after being cited was pretty much the same thing, "You'd better hope you never end up in my ER!" Okay, it was a stupid comment and I noted it on the back of the "Officer's Copy" of the cite in case we went to court. We didn't go to court and I didn't take it any further because (when it came right down to it), I chalked up his words to a momentarily stupid, loss of temper.

The guy was an @zz, but how many of those do we deal with? I'm not saying I don't understand why the officer in this case informed the nurse's employer, all I'm asking is: How often do we call violator's employers to complain about employees? I didn't feel this guy would really treat me any differently than any other ER "case" if something actually occurred and I doubt the officer in this incident really believed the nurse wouldn't meet her legal, moral and ethical responsibilities. Did he/she say something unprofessional? Yes. Did they mean it? I doubt it.

While the officers involved certainly had the right to call and the employer certainly had the right to discipline the employee (even to the point of termination), I still don't know if I'd have handled things differently.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I'm curious what else she said, prior to making that comment. I'm sure it wasn't pretty, and I'm sure that by the time she made that final comment, the officer was pretty steamed.
      Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by TacoMac
        Like Sgt. Slaughter said, can you imagine what people would think if a police officer said something like that? Like, "I hope you never have to call the police on my watch!" or "I hope I see you on the street again!"?
        I read the second statement as more of a threat, but the first one? I even saw a cop say something like it on COPS once. Ladys boyfriend didn't want to give her keys back or something like that. Cops come, boyfriend runs, foot pursuit, gets caught after a while. So the cop goes back to the gf and asks about pressing charges, to which she responds in the negative, emphasizing that she just wanted him to give the keys back. The cop was pretty mad and essentially said not to call them if she didn't want to press charges. Which is sort of implying substandard response for a future incident.

Its guaranteed 100% that if a situation like that happened where either comment was made, and a cop lost their job, a lot of people on this site would be in support of the officer. The change of opinion when it comes to one of your own is very distinct. This forum is almost comical like that.

Originally posted by TacoMac
        That officer would be thrown under the bus in a QUICK hurry. A nurse is no different. By saying what she said, it SPECIFICALLY implied that harm WOULD COME TO HIM if he was EVER her patient.

You can't have that kind of person on your staff.
        Wouldn't it be specific or implied? The comment could be interpreted as something other than a threat.

Originally posted by BCSD Frank View Post
        I'm curious what else she said, prior to making that comment. I'm sure it wasn't pretty, and I'm sure that by the time she made that final comment, the officer was pretty steamed.
        I am wondering that to. Was it a minutes long tirade of obscenities, or was it just the one comment?
        Last edited by bigislander72; 09-22-2010, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefcop View Post

Since when do the police go to an employer to inform them of certain statements someone made?
          When they are both city employees and one city employee says they won't do their job and it endangers the health of the other.

This is really no different than any other workplace threat.

Let's try different roles shall we? Let's say an auditor in finance gets her expense report and disallows some of the things she claimed. And she threatens him by saying he better hope he's not ever her patient. The auditor is doing his job and he costs her money. Is she justified in threatening another employee of the same city? It might not rise to a crime but you better believe you will be fired for doing it.
          "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

Originally posted by mookie86 View Post
            Right, like you actually think the nurse would treat the Officer any different than any of her other patients if his life was at risk? I can't answer that question any better than you can, but making that assumption just based on the comment she made out of frustration is ridiculous. Who knows, she might have just finished working a double and had incredibly difficult patients. People have bad days and say stupid things sometimes, its human nature.

I agree with what chiefcop said, why the heck did the officer go to the womans boss. Does he make a formal complaint every time someone makes a distasteful comment towards him?

Kaps- that would make sense. Hopefully that is what happened, that at least gives him more reason to report her.
            They are both employed by the same employer. City of Colorado Springs. I would be much more inclined to report a city employee that acted that far out of bounds. It's a simple HR issue of a workplace threat and retaliation for doing your job.

Let's put it this way, if the person was a the city employed janitor that just got a ticket and he told the coty employed officer that he better not run across his personal vehicle in the parking lot, would you report him to his city supervisors? Heck yes. I'm not going to arrest him for it but my co-employees don't get to threaten my or my property for doing my job without management/HR hearing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by anachranerd View Post
              +1. Dad and brother are doctors, mom and sister are nurses. All of them are real tight with LEO's.

I hear nurses and cops hook up a lot. Makes sense. Both work weird hours, both have to deal with the world's stupidity on a daily basis.
              They do. Alot of nurses are badge bunnies. I hooked up with one about two years ago. Yeah, she was a total freak . Ended up ditching me for her ex, an investigator for another agency.
              Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

What is interesting here is that some of us have made judgement calls without knowing all the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired Deputy View Post
                  What is interesting here is that some of us have made judgement calls without knowing all the facts.
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by Retired Deputy View Post
                    Another cliche staement that is thrown around here a lot...only if it is an article that makes a cop look bad. Any account of anyone else's alleged misdeeds, its fry 'em, no judge no jury!

BTW, I actually agree with the statement in general. Its just the hypocrisy I see here is, as I stated earlier, comical to me.

Comment

I don't know but it seems to me that the facts are all in. Cop wrote ticket. Nurse was pizzed about it. Nurse said "I hope you're never my patient" Whats missing is the true meaning of the words. Intent.
                      Does the nurse truly mean to imply that the cop would not get the full standard of care or that she would happily ensure that the system worked in her favor while a case fell through the cracks ie. lost paper work, mistakenly transfered to useless proceedures....LOL have seen too much to go into as have many here, suffice to say that pizzing off the nurse can have interesting effects.
                      What if the roles were reversed. Lets say that the cop was in the ER for something and wanted/expected some PC and the nurse said not gonna happen. Now the cops pizzed and mouths off say..."I hope you never need to call 911" Intent to with hold service?
                      IMHO both things are jacked off things for a nurse/doctor/cop to say to one another as all to often we depend on eachother in lifethreatening situations. Furthermore I think its jacked off to say something like that to joe /jane citizen. I've had bad days but I usually know how to put my muzzle on when I do. But when I don't then guess what? People call my boss and complain.

Comment

Originally posted by brad601 View Post
                        Alot of nurses are badge bunnies.
                        I find that statement insulting. I married a cop. Does that make me a badge wife?

I hooked up with one about two years ago. Yeah, she was a total freak . Ended up ditching me for her ex, an investigator for another agency.
                        Lost out to the better man, huh? LOL
                        Originally posted by JasperST
                        "The fail is strong with this one."

Originally posted by mdrep
                        It's not sporting old chap. Like shooting fish in a barrel. You may only take a shot at a poser or troll if they are running and you are properly licensed.

What do you think we are, a bunch of barbarians?

Comment

Let's turn this around, she says her statement to the cop, the cop tells her to go 'eff herself. What do you think the nurse would do as soon as she got to a telephone? That's right, file a complaint, but would she be right in doing so?
                          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Trauma1 View Post
                            I find that statement insulting. I married a cop. Does that make me a badge wife?

Lost out to the better man, huh? LOL
                            You do know you've just given yourself the nickname "badge wife". I'm gonna make sure it sticks!
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AZLawDawg View Post
                              You do know you've just given yourself the nickname "badge wife". I'm gonna make sure it sticks!
                              Make sure it's "that gingy badge wife" and we got a deal.
                              Originally posted by JasperST
                              "The fail is strong with this one."

Originally posted by mdrep
                              It's not sporting old chap. Like shooting fish in a barrel. You may only take a shot at a poser or troll if they are running and you are properly licensed.

What do you think we are, a bunch of barbarians?

Comment

Originally posted by AZLawDawg View Post
                                Let's turn this around, she says her statement to the cop, the cop tells her to go 'eff herself. What do you think the nurse would do as soon as she got to a telephone? That's right, file a complaint, but would she be right in doing so?
                                Yes. Can you imagine telling another government employee of the same city to go eff themselves and not get a complaint?

But then again I would say "Have a nice day" but it really means go eff yourself. And they know it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5095 users online. 244 members and 4851 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X