Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much longer will the Crown Vic be in use?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose there will be a good network of available Crown Vic parts for years to come. Many agencies are going to keep them around - even if they might have to "Frankenstein" or cannibalize part of their fleet. Why stray from what works?

Anyway, I am curious about the upcoming Caprice PPV coming out in 2011. It will have a lot more power than the Vic.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I believe the mold for the Crown Vic finally broke. That is why they decided to retire the Vic.
      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
        Do any departments use the mercury that looks like a crown vic?
        The grand Marquis, Ive never seen as a marked car. Florida Highway Patrol has the Mercury Marauder unmarked. Anyone remember the 94-96 Impala SS, the one with the body style of the caprice and corvette motor? I saw a few of those marked up on TV.
        "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
          Do any departments use the mercury that looks like a crown vic?
          We have some in service as detective vehicles. They are unmarked and still look nice and new. (of course they drive them home, to the office, and lunch, and occassionally out to the field when you can get them out to come out, LOL!!)
          Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

The answer really depends on the department. My department gets rid of cars around 75k miles, which takes about 3-4 years usually. I assume that they will continue purchasing the CVPI until it is discontinued. You won't see a large department that currently uses CVPI's have more Tauruses or Caprices that CVPI's for a couple years after the come out.

Comment

How long will it be in service? Too long, in my opinion. The Crown Vic is the police car with the:

1. Poorest acceleration
              2. Longest braking distance
              3. Lowest top speed
              4. Largest turning radius
              5. Poorest handling
              6. Lowest fuel economy

...of any current police car offering. Why cops are sooo attached to this ancient car, I have no idea. I've driven a new Impala, and it is head and shoulders above the Crown Vic. The Crown Vic has only two things that I like: 1) Rear-wheel drive, and 2) Loud V8 roar when you stomp the gas

Comment

Um, yeah, it sucks in all of those categories. Thats why it has been in use for 30+ years.
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Do we have any idea what the Ecoboost Taurus is going to run? The civilian model runs upwards of 40K.

Comment

Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
                    Do we have any idea what the Ecoboost Taurus is going to run? The civilian model runs upwards of 40K.
                    That's what I was wondering. Seems pricey!
                    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

The Crown Vic is the roomiest passenger car version of a current patrol car. I like the way the Chargers handle and their speed, but they are too tight inside with all the equipment and my biggest pet peeve is that the have horrible blind spots.

The police version of the Tahoe is really nice. I drove one for a few days and fell in love with it.
                      David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                        Agreed 100% the crown vic is the biggest piece of junk I have ever had the displeasure to have to use in 25 years of police service.
                        You obviously never had the honor of driving a 4 cyl and 6 cyl Chevy Malibu. When I started in 1985 in CA that's what we drove until we could replace them with Chevy Caprices.
                        David Bailey Photography | Bailey Tactical

sigpic

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor satan shudders and says oh hell he's awake!"

Comment

I personally believe that FORD is shooting themselves in the foot with the SHO. Unless the cars are assigned to one person, who baby's it, those motors ain't gonna last on day to day patrol in a big city. They may have better results with a straight six cylinder, but FWD won't cut it either. I'm placing my money on the new Caprice and the Charger to take over where the CVPI leaves off.
                          Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Originally posted by 1911user View Post
                            I personally believe that FORD is shooting themselves in the foot with the SHO. Unless the cars are assigned to one person, who baby's it, those motors ain't gonna last on day to day patrol in a big city. They may have better results with a straight six cylinder, but FWD won't cut it either. I'm placing my money on the new Caprice and the Charger to take over where the CVPI leaves off.
                            I don't know, the Charger has been in service for a while so I don't think departments that haven't been using them will start using them suddenly, just IMO.

Comment

It does suck in all those categories. Every other police car offering betters it in all of them. It's been THE police car for so long because its prior competitors (The Intrepid? Yuck!) have been plain awful and the Crown Vic was really the only game in town. Now, better cars are available so we can get rid of the antique Ford.

Comment

Crown vics have what counts to brass- cheap, durable, GED techs at the county shop can fix them, parts are cheap, slow speed is safer....

I'd like to see a mid sized 4door truck with police package. The SHO will not work for countless reasons. The caprice will be too fast.
                                Any views or opinions presented by this prenomen are solely those of a burlesque author and do not necessarily represent those of a LEA or caementum couturier.

nom de plume

This is the internet- take all information with a grain of salt. Such could be valid and true or could be typed just for playing devils advocate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6322 users online. 321 members and 6001 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X