Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much longer will the Crown Vic be in use?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much longer will the Crown Vic be in use?

I know the beloved CVPI will stop being produced at the end of 2011, but will larger departments such as LAPD whose fleets consist of mainly crown vics still use them for many years? I doubt they would just abruptly take them out of service, but for how long will we see them driven until they are taken over?

A) until they have too many miles and have to be repaired all the time
    B) parts become too expensive
    C) they will go to Chevy Impalas =)
    Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

Comment

? Impalas are junk!

Comment

Actually they're going to the Taurus Sho from what i heard. No company is going to just get rid of all their cars over night. The ones who can afford it probably will. And others probably won't sell their crown vics when they break down because they'll use them for parts on their others.
        Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

You will see the Vic for several more years. This is the last year they will be produced, however, they will be on the road as long as they are well maintained until they reach their mileage limit and are retired.

Impalas are a joke. The new Cruiser market will be shared by the Charger, Caprice, and the Taurus.

Edit, the Impalas are better than what Dodge rolled out before the Charger. They were such a joke that I can't even remember the name, LOL. Maybe the Stratus??
          Last edited by Rudy8116; 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM.
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

I love my Impala, we have the newer model ones not the older ones with the round tail lights. I love it though. I had a chance to get a charger and I asked for an impala. I love it. My dept is retiring the CvPI and we are now mostly chargers and impalas, but fleet is saying they will be going to all chargers and taurus for patrol, detectives will still have impala
            Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Rudy, it was the Intrepid and yes, they sucked.

I'm not a fan of the Charger, but I seem to be in the minority.

But to answer the question asked. You will see Crown Vics in service for the next 10-15 years. They will get rarer and rarer, but cash strapped departments will keep them in service. I know Kansas City still rolls around with the old style Crown Vics (pre 1998) occasionally. I was in training a couple years back and one of the cops there had a Caprice. Thing hadn't had any problems in 250,000+ miles, so his department kept it in service.

Comment

I don't really like the look of the Charger as a patrol car, just compared to the CVPI it looks so huge and bulky while the crown vics are really sleek and cool, especially when painted black and white. The new Taurases (Taurai plural? ) look pretty nice, better than chargers IMHO. I also just love the sound of the crown vics engine when the pedal is really floored.

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                Rudy, it was the Intrepid and yes, they sucked.

I'm not a fan of the Charger, but I seem to be in the minority.

But to answer the question asked. You will see Crown Vics in service for the next 10-15 years. They will get rarer and rarer, but cash strapped departments will keep them in service. I know Kansas City still rolls around with the old style Crown Vics (pre 1998) occasionally. I was in training a couple years back and one of the cops there had a Caprice. Thing hadn't had any problems in 250,000+ miles, so his department kept it in service.
                Well I won't be an actual officer for about 7-8 years so it looks like I may end up driving an old one! Especially with the City of Long Beach's budget...

Comment

NYPD has a few Focus Hybrids

Comment

Ahh yes, the Intrepid. Maybe the worst modern day squad? I'll agree the Crown Vic looks more like a patrol car compared to the Charger, however, the Charger looks meaner to someone who might run. I just went to a PD that uses Chargers from a PD that uses Vics. The Charger has alot more room than I thought. Or so it seems. While I like some of the new looks that will be replacing the Vic, I wonder if they will have the toughness and the PIT capability of the Vic.
                    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Do any departments use the mercury that looks like a crown vic?
                      Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD017 View Post
                        ? Impalas are junk!
                        Actually my 2010 impala will go faster then any troopers crown vics hands down. If i had a choice though i would go to chargers. To answer the question, neither but depends on department. In Mn they will go to caprice.

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
                          Do any departments use the mercury that looks like a crown vic?

You are referring to the Mercury Grand Marquis. While it is similar to the Crown Vic (and it is still available to the public, unlike the Ford) in many ways - both in form and in function, I have yet to see one in police service anywhere. I don't believe that Ford offers a "police package" for the Grand Marquis, either.

I suppose some department could use a Grand Marquis for patrol duty - much the same as you see Taurus sedans, Ford Fusions, F-150 trucks and even an occasional Toyota Camry used by some agencies; but they are not "police package vehicles" from the factory. I would worry about the durability of an 'ordinary' car used for patrol or pursuit duty; as they might not be quite up to the rigors of hard driving day in and day out.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I would give the Ford Crown Vic the nod for "longest serving" patrol car. I remember back as far as the 1970s when Ford used to call their large sedan the Galaxie - and later the LTD. Eventually, the LTD became the "LTD Crown Victoria" and then just Crown Victoria (late 1980s, I believe). Basically, we have a forty-year run of full-size police cars from the Blue Oval.

Chrysler had a long run of cop cars - from the big Plymouth Gran Fury and Dodge Polara to smaller Plymouth Satellite and Dodge Monaco sedans, but they abandoned the police market after the 1989 Dodge Diplomat went out of production. They returned with the front-drive Intrepid ten years or so ago.....but it was not a big seller. They were an "also ran" until the Charger entered patrol service in 2006.

GM had a lot of cop vehicles throughout the years, with the big BelAir/Impala/Caprice serving through a few decades; but the 1996 Caprice was their last rear-drive, full-frame patrol car. The return of the Impala nameplate in 2000 to a front-drive car disappointed many officers, but the car was greatly improved for 2006 with more power and better handling. The upcoming 2011 Caprice is probably going to be a big hit - especially with the approaching demise of the Ford Crown Vic.

The Tahoe has been a good vehicle, but it is still a "truck" and thus costs more to buy and eats a lot more fuel. Chevy came out with a police package back in the mid-1990s, but the more recent versions are far superior and handle quite well. The Tahoe comes in a pursuit-rated 2wd model or a heavy-duty 4x4 package. They're great for commercial vehicle enforcement, K-9 units or other duties where a car doesn't have enough room.

I'm surprised that Ford is going to ditch the Crown Vic -- as it was the main game in town for police and taxi duty. The assembly lines, tooling and design of the car probably don't cost Ford much in comparison to other models and the Crown Vic is probably very profitable -- but perhaps they believe they can make more money by building something else. We shall see.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Most agencies will use their last crown vics until it is time to put them on dead line! Sucks for me because I just got issued one of the last crowns! lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10835 users online. 386 members and 10449 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X