300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Carry FAIL

Okay, so I know nobody likes the nuts at opencarry.org, but I had to share this hilarious story.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ff-AT-GUNPOINT!

The original poster since redacted his story, but luckily someone quoted it:

Earlier today I was on my way home from the Southwest Plaza Mall area on Wadsworth and Bowles in Littleton, CO. For those of you who don't know the area this is the same vicinity as the Columbine High School shootings and the Dear Creek Middle School shootings.

Anyways, while walking towards the bus stop through the Southwest Plaza mall parking lot, I saw a mall security SUV driving by me (I was OC at the time). I boarded a bus that I normally take when in the area and thought nothing of the rent-a-cops driving by. Needless to say, when the bus got to Kipling and Bowles about a 3 blocks away from the mall, it was stopped by ten Jeffco sheriff vehicles who all got behind their doors and drew assault rifles and handguns and ordered me to disembark the bus. Now before anyone says that I was breaking the law by carrying on the bus, I want you to know that I carry a firearm at work as a Tactical Paramedic and am Colorado POST certified to carry weapons the same as any police officer, on duty or off. Thus, the statutes regarding guns on buses does not apply in my case.

I disembarked making sure not to make any sudden movements or threatening gestures. I complied with the officer's orders and was subsequently face down on the ground, disarmed and in handcuffs. The officers then placed me in the back of one of the patrol vehicles and informed me that mall security had called on me for carrying in a parking lot (a lot that is not posted for no firearms by the way). I presented my badge and proper departmental ID and the officers closed me in the car while they ran my information. After about fifteen minutes they came back and allowed me to step out of the vehicle at my request. They then showed professional courtesy and un-cuffed me while we finished talking. One of the officers actually asked me "what gives you the right to carry a gun?" I made it clear to them that my open carry had no direct relation to my employment and that as an open carry proponent belonging to this forum I was exercising my 2A rights. I educated the officers and let them know that open carry is the only constitutionally protected way to carry in Colorado and that the normalization of firearms is my personal goal in open carry. (It goes deeper than that, but thats the simple way for me to explain my goals here)

At this point they ran the serial number of my gun (clear, by the way) and gave me a courtesy ride home. At this point I was allowed to re-arm and was "informed" by the officer that our "group of open carriers must be aware that we will be stopped and detained at gunpoint anywhere we go in the city of littleton" and that that "is just the nature of the fear around here" Furthermore he said that we should never even think to carry as its a "stupid and un-necessary act in such a good area" as I could be shot should I make the wrong move.

I informed the officer that I would be posting this on the forums here and would be obtaining a copy of all of the dash-cams and transcripts of all radio traffic from my stop. It is my personal opinion that a lawsuit might be in order over this matter (harrassment, unlawful detainer without evidence of a crime, the list goes on) but I would be interested to see what everyone here has to say first.

Let me know please......
    Come to find out, a Denver news station picked it up, and one of the members posted a link to the story:
    http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...9104&catid=339

If you don't want to click on the link here is the story:

DENVER - 9Wants to Know has learned Denver Police arrested a man after they say he impersonated a paramedic, took a gun on an RTD bus and RTD light rail and claimed to be part of a swat team.
    Advertisement

Police want to know if Wayne Michael Thornton, 21, has claimed to be a paramedic other times.

Thornton is seen wearing a paramedic's uniform and a gun at the Interstate 25 and Broadway light rail stop on Tuesday when security reviewed his ID, RTD spokesman Scott Reed told 9Wants to Know.

"It is a felony to carry weapons aboard public transportation, unless the passenger is a law enforcement officer or has a valid concealed carry permit," Reed said.

Deputies allowed Thornton to board a train, but later learned the ID was fake.

Jefferson County Sheriff's deputies responded to a call about Thornton on Aug. 13 after security at Southwest Plaza called deputies when Thornton showed up at the mall's parking lot with a gun, according to Jefferson County Sheriff's Office spokesman Mark Techmeyer.

Deputies tracked the man onto an RTD bus and removed him. Deputies had their guns drawn. Techmeyer said Thornton claimed to be a tactical paramedic.

Deputies ran Thornton's background, but it came back clean and he was released, Techmeyer said.

The special investigations unit of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office further investigated Thornton and discovered he is not a paramedic, Techmeyer said.

They also discovered he has a juvenile record that prevents him from being able to carry a gun, 9Wants to Know has learned.

Thornton faces charges of possession of a weapon by a previous offender and possessing a firearm or explosive on public transportation.

Online court records show Thornton has a second advisement in Denver County Court on Sept. 2.

The Jefferson County District Attorney's office is considering whether to file charges against Thornton.
    Looks like this kid god owned pretty bad.
    Last edited by ProtectandServe; 08-21-2010, 01:39 PM.

Looks like he made another thread:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ation-from-RTD

Comment

tactical paramedic?

is that like Swat medic only without the rest of the team? lol
      In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

just means they wear all black... and all their tools/equipment are black....
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

TEMS is an honored and important position on the team. Now another jacktard screws it up. But that's a good reason to only have sworn team members.
          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Thats not a open carry fail that is a criminal fail and a fail that he was able to dupe trained professionals

Comment

Hold the boat...are you not supposed to dress up like an EMT/Law Enforcement Officer?

Comment

THanks to a quote from someone over there, we actually DO get his side of the story...

Earlier today I was on my way home from the Southwest Plaza Mall area on Wadsworth and Bowles in Littleton, CO. For those of you who don't know the area this is the same vicinity as the Columbine High School shootings and the Dear Creek Middle School shootings.

Anyways, while walking towards the bus stop through the Southwest Plaza mall parking lot, I saw a mall security SUV driving by me (I was OC at the time). I boarded a bus that I normally take when in the area and thought nothing of the rent-a-cops driving by. Needless to say, when the bus got to Kipling and Bowles about a 3 blocks away from the mall, it was stopped by ten Jeffco sheriff vehicles who all got behind their doors and drew assault rifles and handguns and ordered me to disembark the bus. Now before anyone says that I was breaking the law by carrying on the bus, I want you to know that I carry a firearm at work as a Tactical Paramedic and am Colorado POST certified to carry weapons the same as any police officer, on duty or off. Thus, the statutes regarding guns on buses does not apply in my case.

I disembarked making sure not to make any sudden movements or threatening gestures. I complied with the officer's orders and was subsequently face down on the ground, disarmed and in handcuffs. The officers then placed me in the back of one of the patrol vehicles and informed me that mall security had called on me for carrying in a parking lot (a lot that is not posted for no firearms by the way). I presented my badge and proper departmental ID and the officers closed me in the car while they ran my information. After about fifteen minutes they came back and allowed me to step out of the vehicle at my request. They then showed professional courtesy and un-cuffed me while we finished talking. One of the officers actually asked me "what gives you the right to carry a gun?" I made it clear to them that my open carry had no direct relation to my employment and that as an open carry proponent belonging to this forum I was exercising my 2A rights. I educated the officers and let them know that open carry is the only constitutionally protected way to carry in Colorado and that the normalization of firearms is my personal goal in open carry. (It goes deeper than that, but thats the simple way for me to explain my goals here)

At this point they ran the serial number of my gun (clear, by the way) and gave me a courtesy ride home. At this point I was allowed to re-arm and was "informed" by the officer that our "group of open carriers must be aware that we will be stopped and detained at gunpoint anywhere we go in the city of littleton" and that that "is just the nature of the fear around here" Furthermore he said that we should never even think to carry as its a "stupid and un-necessary act in such a good area" as I could be shot should I make the wrong move.

I informed the officer that I would be posting this on the forums here and would be obtaining a copy of all of the dash-cams and transcripts of all radio traffic from my stop. It is my personal opinion that a lawsuit might be in order over this matter (harrassment, unlawful detainer without evidence of a crime, the list goes on) but I would be interested to see what everyone here has to say first.

Let me know please......
                -------------------------------
                You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

What a ******. Just by his post the oddball posted you can tell he isn't a cop....idiot.

Comment

No open carry in Texas and I absolutely friggin love it. You open carry in Tx and aren't a LEO, you go to jail for a felony.

EDIT: Normal Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon is a Class A Misdemeanor, whereas the same by a convicted felon or that of a CHL holder in violation of the alcohol premise issue is a felony. Late night post after a long work day. I stand corrected.
                    Last edited by S.O.444; 08-23-2010, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S.O.444 View Post
                      No open carry in Texas and I absolutely friggin love it. You open carry in Tx and aren't a LEO, you go to jail for a felony.
                      I think that's going to be he result wherever these guys make it an issue. Their 'logic' is twisted but they think it makes perfect sense. Like 1+1=3 if you think about it.

Comment

Wow....
                        Unless your TEMS, SEMS, PEMS, your not gonna have gun, let alone a weapon.
                        I can't think of a single state that allows a non-police paramedic to carry a gun. If there lucky they may get to have tazer/pepper spray, but thats far and in between.
                        Semper Paratus/Always Ready
                        Originally posted by jakflak
                        The bottom line: always be nice to the magic voice. All hail the magic voice!!
                        Originally posted by Michigan
                        I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

: )

Comment

Originally posted by TacoMac
                          What a nimrod. I wonder what makes people think they can get away with that sort of crap forever. Are they that clueless? Or are they just mentally deranged? Or both?
                          So according to the interviews 9News has done so far, his family is saying that they pressured him to stop being a loser without a job. Did they not get suspicious when he was an unemployed nobody day 1 and day 3 was fully certified and out of the house all day in a paramedic's uniform?

And -- really?! -- you put enough effort to basically act out a lie to your family every day and be out of the house but didnt just go out and get a real job?

Does not compute.
                          -------------------------------
                          You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaGuy
                            So basically what you are saying is that Texas doesn't recognize the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States?

IndianaGuy
                            Where does it say that open carry is a constitutional right?

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaGuy
                              So basically what you are saying is that Texas doesn't recognize the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States?

IndianaGuy
                              If you are consistently in an area where you feel the need to open carry a firearm as a civilian... You need to not be there.

I personally prefer CCW. Why would I want to draw attention to myself in a conflict? You have a more tactical advantage to assume cover since you would not be the initial target of aggression with concealed carry. Open carrying is just an invitation to be #1 on the shooters list of targets.
                              The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                              After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2417 users online. 131 members and 2286 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X