300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. Korea Blowin smoke again..

(CNN) -- North Korea said Sunday that it will "deal a merciless counterblow to the U.S. imperialists" and to South Korean "traitors," in response to word that the United States and South Korea will begin a joint military exercise on Monday.

"The military counteraction of the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) will be the severest punishment no one has ever met in the world," a spokesman for the General Staff of the Korean People's Army said in a statement carried by North Korea's official news agency.

On Friday, the U.S. and South Korea announced that an annual joint military exercise would begin on Monday and last for 11 days. The drill is designed to ensure that the South Korea-U.S. military alliance is "fully prepared to respond to any potential provocations," according to a statement from U.S. forces in South Korea.
    Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

somewon is ronerey, so ronerey.

Comment

The situation in North Korea sounds like it's growing more desperate. They've stepped up the saber rattling and the rhetoric to new levels. It would be interesting for the war games to suddenly go to "real time," particularly when there is a higher concentration of military power in the region than is usually present. What worries me, is that if North Korea decides that it has nothing to lose, and indeed, this seems altogether plausible, then they may decide that provoking a resumption of active hositilities and all-out war is their best bet for saving face, as well as having the United States and South Korea rebuild their country and infrastructure after the end of the war.
      Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

ughhh,,,, we cannot afford another war.
        Yeah. That would go poorly. Like, on the Scale of Fail, somewhere between "Titanic" and "Chernobyl."
        --Squirrel

Comment

They're just making noise because the world is ignoring them.

They do this from time to time. I'm sure, if we ignore them long enough, they'll get the hint, but of course, our politicians seemingly keep giving them their 15 minutes.

They know if they cross the 38th Parallel they'll get their @$$es handed to them by a well trained, well fed ROK army backed by the U.S. firepower.

They also know, if they cross the 38th Parallel, Kim Jong Il's days will numbered. . .

You made an interesting comment about rebuilding their infrastructure and what not. One thing that I don't PROC will tolerate will be a united Korea with a U.S. military base not too far from its border.

Technically, they(PROC) do a have a defense treaty with the DPRK, so it would be interesting to see if China came to the DPRK's aid or not. We're spread thin as it is, so I'm not sure if it would be wise to do unless the ROK does the majority of the fighting. If it is kept localized and doesn't involve ROC, Japan, Russia or China, I don't see a problem with the ROK handling it.
          Last edited by Raiden; 08-16-2010, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
            You're right Anachranerd . . . So we should just nuke them to shut them up. They are like little girls over there. Always whining about something.
            As a whiny little girl, I resent that comparison!
            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
              As a whiny little girl, I resemble that comparison!
              Fixed that for you.
              sigpic

Comment

Just curious how this ended up in General Law Enforcement Topics instead of Law & Politics/Various Topics.

Now if one of their neighbors called in a disorderly conduct complaint on the DPRK, I could see that . . .
                --
                Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

While it would be another war, it wouldn't be a war on pussies hiding in Mosques, IEDs and potshots. It would be against a country, their military and facilities that support it.

A couple long range missile strikes a bomb or two and their tail would be so far between their legs.
                  Yeah, I have no doubt that we could slaughter them.

Its also my understanding they have a freaking unbelievable amount of artillery right on the border, that would be able to rain down hundreds of thousands of rounds on Seoul and our emplacements. It sounds like in the opening stages, they would rain hell on our troops and Seoul.

Then our air power would come in and smash their artillery and armor. And it would be over.
                  Yeah. That would go poorly. Like, on the Scale of Fail, somewhere between "Titanic" and "Chernobyl."
                  --Squirrel

Comment

Originally posted by anachranerd View Post
                    Yeah, I have no doubt that we could slaughter them.

Its also my understanding they have a freaking unbelievable amount of artillery right on the border, that would be able to rain down hundreds of thousands of rounds on Seoul and our emplacements. It sounds like in the opening stages, they would rain hell on our troops and Seoul.

Then our air power would come in and smash their artillery and armor. And it would be over.
                    The DPRK also has secret tunnels to infiltrate the ROK. How extensive, no one know but they have found them.

My take, destroy Py'ongyang completely, level it. If the Chinese even blink at the DPRK border send them the message by destroying Kaesong and just say thats what Beijing would look like if they even thought about "aiding their communist brothers."
                    Last edited by Raiden; 08-16-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Oh Kim you're an a**hole http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372588/quotes

Comment

Forum: General Law Enforcement Topics
                        LEOs and the public can discuss a variety of law enforcement topics. No Non-LE topics!
                        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Oh I wish I was still at Camp Greaves! The North Koreans would be an enemy worth killing.
                          Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

They do this from time to time. I'm sure, if we ignore them long enough, they'll get the hint, but of course, our politicians seemingly keep giving them their 15 minutes.
                            Pretty much. The situation turns desperate. They whine for food and economic benefits, then take any money they get and fuel it right into their military. The cycle repeats.

Technically, they(PROC) do a have a defense treaty with the DPRK, so it would be interesting to see if China came to the DPRK's aid or not. We're spread thin as it is, so I'm not sure if it would be wise to do unless the ROK does the majority of the fighting. If it is kept localized and doesn't involve ROC, Japan, Russia or China, I don't see a problem with the ROK handling it.
                            I have to disagree. The DPRK has the 4th largest military in the world, and as said, a substantial amount of armament is right on the 38th parallel. Even with their mandatory military service requirements, the ROK army would absolutely need reinforcements to take out North Korea.

The DPRK also has secret tunnels to infiltrate the ROK. How extensive, no one know but they have found them.
                            There are four tunnels that are known to exist. I've been to the DMZ twice. My last trip was a couple of months ago, and we went on a tour of the 3rd tunnel. This was the longest one, and could put an army within 30 miles of Seoul. That tunnel could move somewhere between 20-30,000 heavily armed troops per hour.

... and those are the tunnels that we know of. You can bet there are more we don't.

As for whether it's all just rhetoric... I use to think so. On my last trip, I met up with a Marine who was stationed in Guam and had periodic assignments in Korea. We grabbed lunch after the DMZ tour and he told us that if they had a chance, you better believe they'd invade.

I completely agree that if push came to shove, we could turn North Korea into a crater, and turn the Korean peninsula into the Korean island But I doubt that China would sit by silently... especially since word got out about the Dong Feng 21D anti-aircraft carrier missiles. They'd get involved just like they did 60 years ago.
                            John Q. Citizen

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Comment

I completely agree that if push came to shove, we could turn North Korea into a crater, and turn the Korean peninsula into the Korean island But I doubt that China would sit by silently... especially since word got out about the Dong Feng 21D anti-aircraft carrier missiles. They'd get involved just like they did 60 years ago.
                              That is a tough call man. Would China intervene? I know they dont want us taking over the north and having bases right on their border. That being said, I know they dont want to go to war with us if humanly possible- seeing as we spend so much on their goods(dont even get me started on how bad I think that is)....we are their biggest customer.

I keep having this argument with people again and again...yes we are the dominant military power,,,,but China could hurt us, and BAD. And if we dont change things, 10 or 15 years from now, we wont be the dominant force. They will.
                              --Squirrel

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7842 users online. 447 members and 7395 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X