Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from Canada!

I just returned home from a wonderful two week vacation in western Canada

I landed in Seattle, as airfare and especially rental car were cheaper here than in Vancouver, and it's only a 2 hr drive to the border. The purpose of my visit, as I explained to the border guard, was to visit a close family friend in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Along the way, the beauty of southeast British Columbia gave way to a harrowing, white-knuckle drive on the Trans-Canada Highway over Rogers Pass. Due to poor planning on my part, I ended up driving this section at night, and it certainly didn't help that it was pouring rain also. Not fun when the road is a twisting two-lane mountain route, and one that you have to share with semi-trucks and buses!

However, I was rewarded the next day with a beautiful drive through Lake Louise and Banff. I couldn't stay too long, as my lodging that night was in Regina, Saskatchewan, where I toured the RCMP's training centre the next morning. I was very impressed, particularly with the Sergeant Major's Parade.

Afterwards, it was off to Winnipeg for the weekend, where I was given a very warm welcome by the mosquitoes!

On my way back west, I stopped at a few historical fort re-creations: Lower Fort Garry just north of Winnipeg, Fort Walsh in southwest Saskatchewan, Fort Whoop-Up in Lethbridge, Alberta, and the rebuilt Fort Macleod and Fort Calgary, also in Alberta. I learned a lot about the history of western Canada and the formation of the North West Mounted Police, which we now know as the RCMP.

I returned to British Columbia to finish off my holiday. Two days were spent on Vancouver Island with a Mountie friend, who allowed me to come on a ridealong with him. It was interesting to see the differences, and the similarities, in the way things are done in Canada vs. the US.

My final weekend was spent in Vancouver, to watch the Molson Indy race and to watch the RCMP Musical Ride perform. The latter is a MUST SEE event; the horsemanship is VERY impressive indeed.

Welcome back, Sig. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Comment

Welcome back Any pics?
      No partner is worth your tears -
      the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

That's alot of driving in 2 weeks but it sounds like you had a good time. You've made me homesick as I grew up in the Winnipeg/Regina area and visited all the sites you mentioned. Glad to hear you had a good time!
        Graeme

Comment

Hey, Sig, thanks for waving - NOT! Not that it bothers me, mind you (sniff, sniff, tear falls)
          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
          "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo:
            Hey, Sig, thanks for waving - NOT! Not that it bothers me, mind you (sniff, sniff, tear falls)
            Actually, I would have loved to meet more Canadian officers, particularly ones from this forum.

Only problem was, my schedule already was so jam-packed with things to do, and places to be, that I didn't have any spare time to spend visiting even more people.

Like grum said, it WAS a lot of driving in two weeks (my rental car had over 4,000 miles logged on it). Funny, but those AAA/CAA maps made western Canada look so much smaller

If it makes you feel better, I did find the people of Saskatchewan to be the friendliest of them all.

Perhaps next time?

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: Sig220Man ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5908 users online. 350 members and 5558 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X