300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumia Abu Jamal (alleged cop killer)

Okay, what's the story with Mumia Abu Jamal these days? I have two or three Facebook friends who tend to lean "liberal" on an issue or two; and now I am seeing stuff on their walls about this Mumia Abu Jamal chap in Philadelphia.

Allegedly, he murdered Philadelphia (PA) police officer Daniel Faulkner back in 1981 and has been in prison for it since then. Some seem to want a new trial for him, while others are urging his release - and have even sprayed "Free Mumia" grafitti on highway overpasses every so often.

Anyone know the real deal about this? Perhaps someone here lived in Philly during the incident and can enlighten us. If he really is guilty, why didn't they fry him by now? If not, why has there not been a new trial? Just wondering.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

There is nothing alleged about it. He was properly convicted in court of murder, and sentenced to death. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever pointing to him being innocent in any possible way. And his name is not Mumia. His name is Wesley Cooke. He adopted the Mumia moniker after being sent to death row. He murdered Officer Daniel Faulkner in cold blood. Anyone who claims that Cooke is innocent is either naive, a mindless sheep or more likely a bold-faced liar with a leftist agenda who wishes the same fate for all law enforcement officers.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

In April of 2009 his appeal for a new trial was denied and the conviction was upheld.

Comment

This guy is a CONVICTED cop killer. THERE IS NOTHING "ALLEGED" ABOUT IT! Stop being PC; once the gavel strikes, you drop the "alleged" because the allegation has been proven.

Secondly, as katseiye pointed out all his contrived defenses have failed in court - the courts have upheld his conviction. If I was king for a day he'd be swinging from a rope.

Cooke / Mumia's only argument is that a medical examiner estimated the size of the bullet that killed Officer Faulkner incorrectly. A defense attorney showed the slug to him on the witness stand and asked what size it was. The medical examiner simply looked at the slug, which was vastly deformed due to passing through Faulkner's body, and guessed it was a .45. He did this under pressure while on the witness stand, never having weighed or measured the slug, which was NOT the medical examiner's job to do. The slug was, in fact, a .38. Remember the medical examiner was simply "shooting from the hip," so to speak; he should simply have answered that he didn't know, that he had never measured the slug. His tactical courtroom gaffe is the crux of Cooke / Mumia's argument.

Cooke / Mumia claims that since the medical examiner determined the slug was a .45 and he was caught with a .38 handgun, he could not have been the murderer.

The courts have routinely held that the medical examiner spoke without sufficient information, and that subsequent analysis proved the bullet was, in fact, a .38, the same as the gun Cooke / Mumia was carrying.
        Last edited by mac266; 08-01-2010, 07:02 PM.
        MAC

Comment

Okay - thanks for the replies. I only used "alleged" because I was not sure of his innocence or guilt. So, he was convicted; okay. Why was he not fried by now? I mean, it has been almost three decades since the murder of Officer Faulkner. Most of the officer's family will probably die of old age before justice is served. What is the delay?

Why is it that "they" keep saying he should be freed? Was there some kind of conflicting testimony during the trial? Was there exculpatory evidence that was brought up after he was in prison? Why has he become the "poster child" of the left? It must be more than just an anarchist, racial or anti-cop thing.

Anyway, I will probably have to do a search on the case - but that is going to have to wait until tomorrow night. Thanks again for the responses!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Very few people that get the death penalty in PA actually die by the State. They sit in prison for the rest of their lives.
            ABU jamal is very good as conniving people that he actually is innocent. During his first trial he was a raving lunatic. They retried him and he was reserved and quiet. They found him guilty again.
            The only way a death row inmate dies in PA is from natural causes. I say send 'em all out into the yard and get them kill each other.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Faulkner
              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
                Most of the officer's family will probably die of old age before justice is served.
                His wife/widow is still alive..... Wrote a book about it all about 2 years ago....and is a tremendously strong women. I got to meet her at Police Week a few years back...

http://www.danielfaulkner.com/

Comment

I was under the impression that the Medical Examiner just took a guess based on the officer's wounds. He later took it back when he found out that the weapon was loaded with .38 +P ammo. The facts behind it are that Faulkner was making a traffic stop on Cook's brother. Faulkner tried to pull him out of the car to arrest him, the brother resisted, and while they were fighting Cook came up behind him and shot him in the back. You wanna know the brother's statement immediately after? Not 'My brother didn't do it', not 'It was Pookie from down the street.' All he said was 'I got nothing to do with this.' Cook has consistently played on racial politics and taken bits and pieces of evidence and testimony out of context in public (NOT in the courtroom) in order to stay not executed, which if there was any justice, he would have been about 20 years ago.

Comment

If this happened in Virginia he would have been dead long ago. All states should have the DP, and it should be a federal law that anyone who kills a law enforcement office should receive the DP.
                    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

This piece of garbage should have gotten the needle long ago.
                      It's better to be hated for what you are, then to be loved for what you are not.

Comment

not only was he convicted but he admitted it at the hospital...something like "yeah, i shot the m'er f'er!"
                        Yet this dik has a radio broadcast from inside the "belly of the beast"....JUST FREEKIN KILL HIM ALREADY!!!
                        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
                          [color=blue]
                          Why was he not fried by now? I mean, it has been almost three decades since the murder of Officer Faulkner. Most of the officer's family will probably die of old age before justice is served. What is the delay?
                          Most states don't have express line service on death row like Va and Tx.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I recall O.com had a list some time ago that had all the supporters of this **** bag, ranging from no name celebrities, politicians and the like to some businesses and what not. Any idea what ever happened to that?
                            It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

BTW, he has had appeal after appeal and all have been denied. He has actually exhausted all means and the sissy Gov of PA still hasn't given him the night night juice.
                              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9539 users online. 450 members and 9089 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X