300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar....

On one of the motorcycle forums I frequent, there is one guy who always has something to lend to any post. A "technical expert" if you will. Here is his latest, which relates to radar:

All radar and laser speed devices do work on motorcycles. But, it is not totally accurate, and operator error will make it more inaccurate. Radar can be made more accurate than it is, believe it or not, when they clock the speed of a baseball in a major league game, they try a lot harder to get it right than the cops do.

I have worked for the City of XXXXXXX for 34 years, know a number of cops, and they explained it to me. Because of the error inherent in radar and laser systems, they set the speed at which they will stop you several MPH above the speed limit. A good estimate from the cops themselves however, is that only about 70% of those ticketed for speeding by the use of radar are actually guilty.
    Now, not to baldly accuse anyone of misinformation, but I have spoken at length with friends in the LAPD who've done radar, and chatted up MC officers from the LAPD and CHP. While I certainly do not understand the specific mechanics, it's clear (from my perspective and from their explanations) that the radar is pretty well spot on. I know it was right (maybe even under) the 2 times I got caught speeing in my youth many moons ago.

So to ask the seemingly rhetorical question - how much truth is there to his statements regarding the accuracy?

Isn't this more of an "Ask a Cop" thing with popcorn? Hmm...
    sigpic

Originally posted by mitojo
    I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Comment

Yeah, I was on the fence about where to post.

Comment

To answer your questions, his statements are completely false.

Comment

This Jerry guy sounds like a whiny little buffoon...
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Well AJ, there is an element of truth in what this "expert" claims

However........................the radar gives a reading of either radial or tangental speed. Both are lower than the real speed, depending on the angle. Scientifically speaking there are the above speeds and then absolute. This speed is rarely received as it would require the radar to be in the exact plane and directly in front of the target being clocked.

Ever watch at a Carnival show when people pay to see how fast they can throw a baseball? To avoid giving a prize, the Carnie will move to clock the baseball at an angle (tangental) to reduce the speed shown on the radar
            "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
              Well AJ, there is an element of truth in what this "expert" claims

However........................the radar gives a reading of either radial or tangental speed. Both are lower than the real speed, depending on the angle. Scientifically speaking there are the above speeds and then absolute. This speed is rarely received as it would require the radar to be in the exact plane and directly in front of the target being clocked.

Ever watch at a Carnival show when people pay to see how fast they can throw a baseball? To avoid giving a prize, the Carnie will move to clock the baseball at an angle (tangental) to reduce the speed shown on the radar
              What he's saying is YES there is an inherent "error" in the way radar works out in the field. However, it's always in the violator's favor...

Comment

For the "Expert" ........B.S.

Comment

Yeah we will show slower, but never faster based on the angles and the cosine effect if using a Doppler.

Comment

Originally posted by zhakkar View Post
                    What he's saying is YES there is an inherent "error" in the way radar works out in the field. However, it's always in the violator's favor...
                    Not in moving mode it isnt.... Moving mode radar is subject to more possible anomilies than stationary radar, and i/mo/, the Laser is practically infallible.
                    "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                    but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

I hate radar, testimony for it in NYS DMV traffic court is way too long.

Comment

Many years ago(early1970's) my old department had a reserve deputy who was a Radio Frequency Engineer for Rockwell International (big military communications and radar contractor Called Collins Radio at that time)

He was running radar and was called to testify ...........................the defense attorney made the mistake of asking HIM about how radar works.

It wasn't pretty for the defense.

The court in that jurisdiction made judicial notice of the "workings" of radar long before the appeals courts gave the same opinion.

We also had a nuclear engineer (Power Plant administrator) reserve----------and one "Rocket Scientist" also a Rockwell employee (Collins Radio designed and built the Gemini and Apollo Communications systems). Made for some interesting conversations when those guys were your partner. We also had the guy who designed the auto-pilot system for the 747 as a reserve.
                        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-30-2010, 07:24 PM.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Time over distance using radio waves. Knowitalls are so cute.

I'm curious as to what this "inherent error" is.
                          Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                          Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

I think this fiction is 100% accurate.
                            When passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage then tootle him with vigor.

Comment

But if he has a high post count he must know it all

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3638 users online. 173 members and 3465 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X