300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Kennel

I am going to be setting up a dog kennel in the yard for days i have to work longer. Right now my dog stays crated in the house when i'm at work.

I ordered a 7X13X6' high chain-link fence kennel with a soft roof, and a good dog house. Any other suggestions, or things i should know? She is very adept at getting out of ANYwhere. My plan is to put some kind of flat cement blocks around the inside of the fence so she cant dig out.

(If anyone lives near south Jersey, please PM me. I will PAY for assistance in putting the fence together LOL. )

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
    "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Don't forget a big bowl of water and some kind of snacks. Biscuits would probably be best. Anything messy would probably attract lots and lots of ants.

Good luck.

Comment

JB 40

I am about to do the same thing. I have a fenced back yard, but my 5 month old GSD has already destroyed the cushions on 4 patio chairs, and attempted to chew his way back into the house. And that is when he's only out for a couple of hours when we are home.

In his defense, he is teething, and when he gets hungry he just chews whatever.

Right now we keep him crated inside when we are gone and at night, for his protection as well as the well being of our stuff.

May I inquire as to where you found the kennel? I would like the most simple solution as possible.

I also think I will get one of those Igloo dog houses for him, unless the members here advise against it.
      BTW..what kind of dog?

Any other thoughts???
      "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

She is half boxer, half american bulldog (about 80 lbs). she's almost 2 so she's no longer teething! shes just an agressive chewer. she doesnt destroy things in the house, but thats because shes crated when i'm gone. she used to always chew her bedding, and comforters and sheets. she sleeps in the bed now at nite and not the crate, but she is good and sleeps all night. she is an indoor dog so i dont know how this will work.

i have kept her out on the deck while i'm working in the yard, with only a baby gate that i attached over the top of the steps. she could easily run it down, but she learned as a baby not to touch it. one time i used a screw-in thing that you put down in the lawn, with a cable. she watched me screw it in and dug alongside it until it was loose and out of the ground.

i ordered my kennel and dog house from Drs. Foster and Smith catalog, where i buy all my pet stuff. i know you can buy them at Home Depot and Farm and Family around here, but i hate to go shopping. i like to read about everything in the catalog and then choose. this catalog is cheaper for ALL kinds of treats and toys, i've compared.

the kennel is by FenceMaster, and the dog house is by Pet Zone, its double insulated. i hope she only has to stay out there now and then. i will put her water and food (she eats dry food) and toys...the only kind i can give her are the ones made for agressive chewers, and she eventually chews thru them but it takes quite a while. i also ordered a chew-proof bed from them that someone told me about (it can go outdoors in a doghouse); its guaranteed.

the kennel comes tomorrow. i also ordered a stretchy kind of roof for it, you could order a harder roof that peaked up, and probably is more for a dog that will be out there all the time.
        "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

I use the same size chain link kennel for my K9 partner. I fastened it down to a poured concrete pad. Had to fasten it because with the bigger dogs, they can just push and pull the fence all over the place! I made a roof over half the kennel with a nylon tarp and a few pieces of wood and metal pipe.

In addition I use one of the igloo type dog houses. I think its great and I think the dog likes it too. Although I initially put a clear plastic door flap on it and he did NOT like that at all. I think it stayed attached all of about one week before he ripped it off.

Keep in kind that you will probably want a hard surface under you dog especially if they like to dig. It can take a long time to get your lawn back into shape after filling in the holes dug by your dog.

Hightower
          No, you've got the wrong number. This is 9-1....2.
          - Police Chief Clancy Wiggum

Comment

I can relate to the digging, I have 2 large Labs. It looks like land mines went off in my backyard.

BTW, How is it everyones dogs are trying to dig their way out and mine jump a 6 ft block fence. Take themselves for a walk and then come home. Jeez, If they want out so bad, and my home sucks for them, why don't they find new ones when they escape. And stop bringing friends over. Now i have dogs just showing up on my doorstep.
            "To each his own"

Comment

for escape artist...The Fido Shocker.

I had a Husky that was an escape artist. He dug, so I put in a fido shocker. It took two hits and I did not have to plug it in again.

You can use them around the top of the fence too.
              "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

We've had dogs and kennels for 25 years. Here's what we just installed: A chain link fence installed by a local fence company. We put a 10 or 12 inch flat board all around the inside of the kennel at the base of the fencing. Then we laid large pieces of left over blue stone (you could use any large heavy rocks or stone of cement chunks too big for the dogs to dig up) on the ground and covered them with 4 to 6 inches of pea stone (washed gravel about the size of peas). The wood keeps the pea stone (gravel) inside the kennel, and keeps the dogs from digging under the fence. It is VERY easy to pick dog do up from the gravel with a small scoop or shovel. The doggie wee wee drains down through the gravel and between the bigger stones to the ground, and you can hose the whole kennel down with bleach and water once in a while and it'll smell fresh as a daisy. The dogs can dig in the gravel, but can't go any further than the bigger rocks, so they can't dig their way out and they can't dig down to the mud and lay in it and get all dirty. The dogs stay clean, the kennel is easy to clean, and escape proof too.

If you have a climber (like one sneaky little terrier I had) then put a chain link top on the kennel too.

I use stainless steel buckets for water and kibble. I clip them to the chain link fence with a double clip (buckets and clips available at horse supply places). The dogs can't dump their water out on hot days and can't dump the kibble into the gravel. Works for us.

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas Thalia.

Comment

One suggestion Jellybean, and it has been mentioned elsewhere in this post. Put down some kind of floor in the kennel. Be it a concrete pad or pea gravel. You don't want the dog on a grass floor, because soon it will become a mud floor.

Also, in my humble opinion, don't leave food or snacks in the kennel. Or don't leave much. The dog can survive without food while you are gone. They don't need a bowl full of food around all the time. It just results in a dirty kennel and a fat dog.

Good luck!

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: dawgguy ]

Comment

I would suggest running the floor at a slight angle so it can drain into a 4" PVC pipe. Run the pipe to a 50 gallon drum that is underground and you have an instant kennel cleaning system. The waste goes into the drum and drains. You can use Rid X to control the bacterial, and you must also place holes and limerock into the drum to aid in the composting fo the waste.
                      As my friend says: All Narc, No Bite

Comment

Running the floor at an angle is also a good idea. My kennel runs along the side of the house and slopes away from the house. My side door is near the kennel door so I don't have to go far in the rain to let the dog out. Having the kennel actually surround the side door is even better, but only if you don't use your side door for anything else except letting the dog in and out. One safety note: if you do not have a top on your kennel, and the walls are low, don't leave a collar on your dog. They can jump up and catch their collar on a post or wire and strangulate. Happened to the dog of a friend of mine. Also, if you have a female remember that if your kennel is not covered, there is nothing to prevent a neighborhood male from climbing your kennel fence when your dog is in heat.

About dog houses, I have an insolated, raised up off the ground, dog house with a removable top. It's big enough for my dog to stand up and turn around in, but that's it. If it is too big the dog can get cold in the winter. My dog stays toasty all year round.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3121 users online. 165 members and 2956 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X