300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The little things people do for you

At work yesterday, myself and another officer were out directing traffic and it was somewhere between 90 and 100 out at the time. A Coke truck came through and the driver handed me two ice cold bottles of water for us. Just got me thinking that there are some people out there who do care and thank us for what we do and put up with everyday.

Post up similar expieriences you may have had like this...

Happens on occasion when standing a post, perimeter, or working a detail in the elements. Really nice. It's a shame good people don't have as much exposure to us as the whack jobs and knuckleheads we see all the time.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

I was in the Mcdonalds drive thru a while back getting some coffee. There was a pickup truck ahead of me in line. When I went to the window, the lady told me it was taken care of and she handed me a coffee AND a Egg McMuffin. The guy in the truck bought it for me and didn't ask for a thing in return. When I looked up and tried to wave, he was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by MPDjeep View Post
        At work yesterday, myself and another officer were out directing traffic and it was somewhere between 90 and 100 out at the time. A Coke truck came through and the driver handed me two ice cold bottles of water for us. Just got me thinking that there are some people out there who do care and thank us for what we do and put up with everyday.

Post up similar expieriences you may have had like this...
        Ugh...directing traffic in the hot hot heat is the worst. I love it when people are nice enough to give me a bottle of water. usually at bigger events my department is good about having a water car driving around handing out bottles of water or powerade.
        Last edited by phillydog07; 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I was reconstructing a explosion scene in the July heat a few years back. I had a large crew of people helping in mapping and collecting evidence. The guy who lived next door this scene is a very rich guy who owned a large compound of buildings used for corporate affairs and outings. He opened the mess hall, brought in his kitchen staff and had food and beverages available to us free of charge throughout the incident.
          \

Comment

My wife and I went for a late dinner the other night, and we saw a cop (same dept. I hope to work for) eating a meal, drinking coffee, and reading a newspaper. My wife said.. "How sad. That cop is all by himself." I told her this was probably the best part of his shift.. peace and quiet. I left him alone. That was my way of saying thank you.
            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Many years ago I was directing traffic after a small town's 4th of July celebration. It was one of those normal HOT, HUMID July nights.........I had been on post on and off all night and just got the crown dispersed about 10:30 pm

The girls at the Dairy Queen across the road brought me a Chocolate Malt (I stopped in there often for one)

It was a nice gesture and I continued to patronize the place .........................the girls were cute (that helped a lot----)
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I have had, on numerous occasions, people stop and simply tell me, "Thank you for the job you do." My department works a detail during the holiday season at the local malls, using enhanced patrol in the parking lots and parking garages, foot patrols in the malls, etc. Every year, at least once, a citizen will buy our lunch, or pay for our coffee, or something like that. I've had bottled water given to me while directing traffic, and I've seen citizen's groups providing hot Christmas dinner to the cops that are working on Christmas Day.

It's stuff like that that reaffirms by belief in the inherent goodness of the majority of people.
                "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes..."

"You must get involved to have an impact. No one is impressed with the won-loss record of the referee." - John H. Holcomb

"I'm a driver's wife, Ricky Bobby! I don't WORK!"

Comment

I was with another deputy directing traffic around a serious (fatality) accident near a busy intersection. It did not seem as though we were there very long, but it ended up being several hours. Two ladies from the convenience store on the corner brought out some hot coffee and some bottled water for us - and they rejected us paying anything for it.

Once in awhile, our faith in humanity can be restored - at least for a little bit.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

I was just getting off shift at 4am and hadn't eaten in close to 11 hours. I stopped at the 7eleven, and was fixin up 2 hot dogs when a male approached me and asked if I was on duty. I told him no but asked if I could help him.
                    This really nice elderly gentleman started asking me about what his options were when he loaned his car to someone and they are refusing to return it. I stood there and talked to him for a good 10-15 minutes about the civil vs criminal aspect because it was his daughter and her druggie boyfriend. I put my hot dogs down and walked to the back to get a bottle of water, When i got back to the front of the store the clerk said your good to go that man took care of it. I didnt even have a chance to thank him , he was gone...
                    Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

Comment

I do what Adeutch does, I just leave y'all alone since mostly when I see 5-0 they're in the car, or eating at another table... though I do see cops eating alone at subway a lot lol.

Comment

I remember during the 92 riots (excuse me....civil disturbance) where we had been on 12 on/12 off schedule for several days.....I was not part of the response team that night, and was working my regular station......we were using the large parking lot of one of the more well known restaurants on the Sunset Strip for our CP for the night.....

Out came the owner, and he said that if we were hungry to go ahead and come inside for some chow......his full crew was in the place, but they had no customers.......he ended making dinner for about 20 of us that night.......he said that he was happy he was able to do at least that for those of us working during that time.......
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I had a lady send me flowers after a motorist assist. Her car was broken down in a lane of traffic, it was dark, her lights weren't working, and she was waiting for a tow. I wasn't able to move her car so I blocked traffic for her.

Later that week I walked into roll call and there's a big vase of flowers on my desk. I got teased endlessly about my "admirer".
                          What are we going to do tonight? Same thing we do every night! TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!

Comment

My woman sends me edible arrangements. I just eat the evidence >=D
                            Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

Comment

Ordered some food at the drive-thru one night. When I got up to the window, the cashier lady said the person in the car behind me said not to charge me for anything and that she would take care of it. I got my order, pulled ahead, and got out and went back to the car and thanked the lady tremendously for what she did.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4784 users online. 297 members and 4487 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X