Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Sigh*...Does this happen in your states?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SgtScott31
    replied
    Originally posted by willbird View Post
    I spent many an hour in a pool hall after I had been sober a few years, with about 10 other sober people, we were there to play POOL, and we did so.....and none of us ever drank a drop.

Bill
    There's always going to be an exception to the majority. I've spent countless hours in pool halls and bars (in my younger days) observing the exact opposite. I am hoping that the owners of these establishments take a few minutes out of their day and post the "no weapons" sign pursuant to TCA 39-17-1359.

Leave a comment:

• RoadKingTrooper
    replied
    Well confession time When in Arizona last fall I carried concealed in bars and restaurants posted or not.

I am not a drinker but would accompany friends.

Yeah, I know illegal if posted, but safer for me to carry then leave in the saddlebag. As some others have stated, do you really think a sign is going to stop someone bent on shooting up a bar or restaurant?

Leave a comment:

• willbird
    replied
    I spent many an hour in a pool hall after I had been sober a few years, with about 10 other sober people, we were there to play POOL, and we did so.....and none of us ever drank a drop.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• WHC166
    replied
    All of these places are already legal to carry in here in Vermont and have been since the inception of this state...we haven't had any problems.

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied
    I don't think anyone here has a problem with us carrying firearms in O'Charley's, Logans or other restaurants with our families. My issue is the fact that the legislation that passed here in TN allows firearms in anywhere that serves alcohol. There is absolutely nothing positive that can come out of a bunch of folks toting guns into pool halls/bars where the only purpose to be in such a place is to have a drink. Since most laws indicate that it's illegal to cary while consuming alcohol, they're setting themselves up with this new law where there is no difference in the verbage between a restaurant and a bar.

Leave a comment:

• KapsFB
    replied
    Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Under current law (here in VA), it is LEGAL to carry openly - with or without a permit - into a restaurant that serves alcohol (as we don't have "bars" like other states). It is LEGAL (but not wise, obviously) to consume alcohol while carrying openly, although some places will ask you to leave and other places will not serve you alcohol if you are carrying.

Under the new law, which takes effect Thursday (July 1st), it will be LEGAL for permit holders to carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol.....but they cannot drink. Think of it is a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy of sorts. Restaurant owners can post signs prohibiting concealed, open or any firearms - as it is their right to do so.

As with other "pro-liberty" bills, the gun-haters always predict a bloodbath and random shootings - which never occur. This is a good bill for the commonwealth, enhances public safety and puts the bad guys on the defensive because they won't know who might be carrying.

The way I see it, the new law is consistent. If I can protect myself at McDonald's or Friendly's, why should I be denied the same right at TGIF, Applebee's, Fuddrucker's, Champps, Ruby Tuesday's or Uno's?? I agree that guns & alcohol don't mix - which is why I prefer someone carrying concealed and NOT DRINKING to someone carrying openly as they swill a few beers.

P.S. Law enforcement officers and deputy commonwealth's attorneys can still carry concealed AND drink alcohol. Seems odd, but that's the law here. Why either group would want to do that is beyond me.
    Agree with what is said here. The more the merrier (IMO) so long as those carrying are doing so in a responsible manner (ie. no drinking). Also agree that any establishment has the right to bar firearms from their place of business so long as they post it clearly. Hell, we had a probationer OC to his last appointment. He was a misd probationer so legal to do so. Had the office post a sign afterwards. Issue resolved.

Insofar as LEO's and/or CA's being 'legally' able to carry while drinking.....yeah, they may be legal but probably in violation of their respective agency's policy AND should they have to discharge with a high BAC, will be screwed both administratively and civily. I carry off duty all the time unless I plan on drinking anything......which I guess equates to I hardly ever carry off duty

Leave a comment:

• Batman21
    replied
    I am in NM and I think this law is GREAT! Why shouldn’t I be able to carry in Chili's when I go out to dinner for a steak and soda? I will wait for a good response to why a responsible law abiding individual shouldnt be able to protect themselvs when having a delicious medium Cajun steak

Leave a comment:

• Headcase
    replied
    I've always thought it was overkill to say "you may not have a firearm on your person if you are drinking at all."

My common scenario is an officer out and about with the spouse and is armed (as usual). They decide to stop and have dinner. With dinner the officer has A beer or A wine. Makes more sense to me to leave the gun on the hip than to go to the hassle of removing it and stashing it in the vehicle (especially my truck, which has no trunk to lock it in).

For one, gun is much more likely to be stolen from vehicle than from my hip. Two, handling the gun (to remove it) is more of a risk than not handling it (leaving it on hip). Three, one drink with a meal doesn't turn a sane officer into a raving menace to society.

Personally, the only time my gun is going to be used when off duty and out with the spouse would be a situation so FUBAR that the 8 ounces of beer in my stomach is the least of my concerns.

Leave a comment:

• aikido kid
    replied
    We have no such law in NY and in the last 4 years that I have been a cop I have not heard of a problem in my neck of the woods that would suggest why we would need such a law. In my experience unlawful shootings are around 99% of the time done by people who unlawfully carry a firearm in the first place no matter where they are.

In the case of the guy who was locked up for DUI and carrying heat, I would have done the same thing that arresting officer did. Good work.
    Last edited by aikido kid; 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GGG
    replied
    Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Under current law (here in VA), it is LEGAL to carry openly - with or without a permit - into a restaurant that serves alcohol (as we don't have "bars" like other states). It is LEGAL (but not wise, obviously) to consume alcohol while carrying openly, although some places will ask you to leave and other places will not serve you alcohol if you are carrying.

Under the new law, which takes effect Thursday (July 1st), it will be LEGAL for permit holders to carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol.....but they cannot drink. Think of it is a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy of sorts. Restaurant owners can post signs prohibiting concealed, open or any firearms - as it is their right to do so.

As with other "pro-liberty" bills, the gun-haters always predict a bloodbath and random shootings - which never occur. This is a good bill for the commonwealth, enhances public safety and puts the bad guys on the defensive because they won't know who might be carrying.

The way I see it, the new law is consistent. If I can protect myself at McDonald's or Friendly's, why should I be denied the same right at TGIF, Applebee's, Fuddrucker's, Champps, Ruby Tuesday's or Uno's?? I agree that guns & alcohol don't mix - which is why I prefer someone carrying concealed and NOT DRINKING to someone carrying openly as they swill a few beers.

+1

Leave a comment:

• VA Dutch
    replied

P.S. Law enforcement officers and deputy commonwealth's attorneys can still carry concealed AND drink alcohol. Seems odd, but that's the law here. Why either group would want to do that is beyond me.
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 06-28-2010, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HILLBILLYFIVEO
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiliManiac View Post
    http://www.koat.com/news/24062368/detail.html
    SANTA FE, N.M. -- People licensed to carry a concealed handgun can take their weapons into New Mexico restaurants serving wine and beer under a new state law.

However, restaurant owners and managers have the option of placing a sign at the entrance prohibiting patrons from bringing in their firearms.

Albuquerque restaurant owner Rick Camuglia welcomed the new law that takes effect on July 1. He said it will make his restaurant safer if some customers carry concealed handguns.

Marie Coleman plans on posting a sign to keep handguns out of her restaurant in Albuquerque's Old Town. Coleman said she's worried about the potential liability if someone had a glass of wine at her restaurant, then left and shot somebody with their handgun.

I should ask, how do you officers feel about this type of law? Do you think it makes the environment safer?
    I got no problem with the that type of law. We have the right to carry, so why not be allowed to carry into a restaurant/bar? What we need to worry about is enforcing the laws against people who violate the law (insert any gun law you'd like). Law abiding citizens should have the right to carry where they see fit, save for the obvious (courts and the like). We can't protect everyone, 24 hours a day!

Floyd T.

Leave a comment:

• Carbonfiberfoot
    replied
    I know in Texas that these require at least 51% of the establishment's revenue to be generated from non-alcoholic sales. Is this provision in the NM law as well?

Leave a comment:

• willbird
    replied
    Originally posted by timjoebillybob View Post
    My state (IN) is pretty much the same, although there is no restriction on BAC and posting signs means pretty much nothing. They have to see it and tell you to leave, if you don't leave then you can be charged with trespassing.
    And given a choice I shop and eat out in the state of IN rather than OH, it is about an equal number of miles for me to drive either way.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• timjoebillybob
    replied
    Originally posted by bsd13 View Post
    Most people don't carry in bars because it is illegal. Make it legal and a lot more people will carry if given the chance. Even if they aren't the type to normally shoot other people mix together guns, alcohol and egos fueled with that alcohol and something bad is bound to happen.

As for the law itself, for some reason I'm picturing a scene from some old spaghetti western running through my head.
    Depends on the state if it's illegal or not, my state it is legal. It's even legal to drink while carrying. I don't hear about many bar shootings.

Originally posted by LINY View Post
    Well we'll see what happens, or doesn't happen.
    I'm betting on the latter.

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
    Here in NV we are legal with a gun in a bar drinking until we're up to a .08 BAC, unless it is prohibited by the bar. IMO we do not have an epidemic of random drunken bar shootings so I'm not too concerned about it.
    My state (IN) is pretty much the same, although there is no restriction on BAC and posting signs means pretty much nothing. They have to see it and tell you to leave, if you don't leave then you can be charged with trespassing.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11391 users online. 414 members and 10977 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X