Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Sigh*...Does this happen in your states?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under current law (here in VA), it is LEGAL to carry openly - with or without a permit - into a restaurant that serves alcohol (as we don't have "bars" like other states). It is LEGAL (but not wise, obviously) to consume alcohol while carrying openly, although some places will ask you to leave and other places will not serve you alcohol if you are carrying.

Under the new law, which takes effect Thursday (July 1st), it will be LEGAL for permit holders to carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol.....but they cannot drink. Think of it is a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy of sorts. Restaurant owners can post signs prohibiting concealed, open or any firearms - as it is their right to do so.

As with other "pro-liberty" bills, the gun-haters always predict a bloodbath and random shootings - which never occur. This is a good bill for the commonwealth, enhances public safety and puts the bad guys on the defensive because they won't know who might be carrying.

The way I see it, the new law is consistent. If I can protect myself at McDonald's or Friendly's, why should I be denied the same right at TGIF, Applebee's, Fuddrucker's, Champps, Ruby Tuesday's or Uno's?? I agree that guns & alcohol don't mix - which is why I prefer someone carrying concealed and NOT DRINKING to someone carrying openly as they swill a few beers.

P.S. Law enforcement officers and deputy commonwealth's attorneys can still carry concealed AND drink alcohol. Seems odd, but that's the law here. Why either group would want to do that is beyond me.
    Last edited by VA Dutch; 06-28-2010, 09:21 PM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Under current law (here in VA), it is LEGAL to carry openly - with or without a permit - into a restaurant that serves alcohol (as we don't have "bars" like other states). It is LEGAL (but not wise, obviously) to consume alcohol while carrying openly, although some places will ask you to leave and other places will not serve you alcohol if you are carrying.

Under the new law, which takes effect Thursday (July 1st), it will be LEGAL for permit holders to carry concealed in a restaurant that serves alcohol.....but they cannot drink. Think of it is a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy of sorts. Restaurant owners can post signs prohibiting concealed, open or any firearms - as it is their right to do so.

As with other "pro-liberty" bills, the gun-haters always predict a bloodbath and random shootings - which never occur. This is a good bill for the commonwealth, enhances public safety and puts the bad guys on the defensive because they won't know who might be carrying.

The way I see it, the new law is consistent. If I can protect myself at McDonald's or Friendly's, why should I be denied the same right at TGIF, Applebee's, Fuddrucker's, Champps, Ruby Tuesday's or Uno's?? I agree that guns & alcohol don't mix - which is why I prefer someone carrying concealed and NOT DRINKING to someone carrying openly as they swill a few beers.

+1

Comment

We have no such law in NY and in the last 4 years that I have been a cop I have not heard of a problem in my neck of the woods that would suggest why we would need such a law. In my experience unlawful shootings are around 99% of the time done by people who unlawfully carry a firearm in the first place no matter where they are.

In the case of the guy who was locked up for DUI and carrying heat, I would have done the same thing that arresting officer did. Good work.
        Last edited by aikido kid; 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM.
        "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

I've always thought it was overkill to say "you may not have a firearm on your person if you are drinking at all."

My common scenario is an officer out and about with the spouse and is armed (as usual). They decide to stop and have dinner. With dinner the officer has A beer or A wine. Makes more sense to me to leave the gun on the hip than to go to the hassle of removing it and stashing it in the vehicle (especially my truck, which has no trunk to lock it in).

For one, gun is much more likely to be stolen from vehicle than from my hip. Two, handling the gun (to remove it) is more of a risk than not handling it (leaving it on hip). Three, one drink with a meal doesn't turn a sane officer into a raving menace to society.

Personally, the only time my gun is going to be used when off duty and out with the spouse would be a situation so FUBAR that the 8 ounces of beer in my stomach is the least of my concerns.
          Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

I am in NM and I think this law is GREAT! Why shouldn’t I be able to carry in Chili's when I go out to dinner for a steak and soda? I will wait for a good response to why a responsible law abiding individual shouldnt be able to protect themselvs when having a delicious medium Cajun steak

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

P.S. Law enforcement officers and deputy commonwealth's attorneys can still carry concealed AND drink alcohol. Seems odd, but that's the law here. Why either group would want to do that is beyond me.
              Agree with what is said here. The more the merrier (IMO) so long as those carrying are doing so in a responsible manner (ie. no drinking). Also agree that any establishment has the right to bar firearms from their place of business so long as they post it clearly. Hell, we had a probationer OC to his last appointment. He was a misd probationer so legal to do so. Had the office post a sign afterwards. Issue resolved.

Insofar as LEO's and/or CA's being 'legally' able to carry while drinking.....yeah, they may be legal but probably in violation of their respective agency's policy AND should they have to discharge with a high BAC, will be screwed both administratively and civily. I carry off duty all the time unless I plan on drinking anything......which I guess equates to I hardly ever carry off duty
              sigpic
              Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
              And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

I don't think anyone here has a problem with us carrying firearms in O'Charley's, Logans or other restaurants with our families. My issue is the fact that the legislation that passed here in TN allows firearms in anywhere that serves alcohol. There is absolutely nothing positive that can come out of a bunch of folks toting guns into pool halls/bars where the only purpose to be in such a place is to have a drink. Since most laws indicate that it's illegal to cary while consuming alcohol, they're setting themselves up with this new law where there is no difference in the verbage between a restaurant and a bar.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

All of these places are already legal to carry in here in Vermont and have been since the inception of this state...we haven't had any problems.

Comment

I spent many an hour in a pool hall after I had been sober a few years, with about 10 other sober people, we were there to play POOL, and we did so.....and none of us ever drank a drop.

Bill
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Well confession time When in Arizona last fall I carried concealed in bars and restaurants posted or not.

I am not a drinker but would accompany friends.

Yeah, I know illegal if posted, but safer for me to carry then leave in the saddlebag. As some others have stated, do you really think a sign is going to stop someone bent on shooting up a bar or restaurant?
                      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                        I spent many an hour in a pool hall after I had been sober a few years, with about 10 other sober people, we were there to play POOL, and we did so.....and none of us ever drank a drop.

Bill
                        There's always going to be an exception to the majority. I've spent countless hours in pool halls and bars (in my younger days) observing the exact opposite. I am hoping that the owners of these establishments take a few minutes out of their day and post the "no weapons" sign pursuant to TCA 39-17-1359.
                        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10749 users online. 374 members and 10375 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X