Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Sigh*...Does this happen in your states?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Sigh*...Does this happen in your states?

http://www.koat.com/news/24062368/detail.html
    SANTA FE, N.M. -- People licensed to carry a concealed handgun can take their weapons into New Mexico restaurants serving wine and beer under a new state law.

However, restaurant owners and managers have the option of placing a sign at the entrance prohibiting patrons from bringing in their firearms.

Albuquerque restaurant owner Rick Camuglia welcomed the new law that takes effect on July 1. He said it will make his restaurant safer if some customers carry concealed handguns.

Marie Coleman plans on posting a sign to keep handguns out of her restaurant in Albuquerque's Old Town. Coleman said she's worried about the potential liability if someone had a glass of wine at her restaurant, then left and shot somebody with their handgun.

I should ask, how do you officers feel about this type of law? Do you think it makes the environment safer?
    Last edited by ChiliManiac; 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM.
    Originally posted by Law100
    I didn't realize you were the chump that reported me. In that case, I hope you die slowly.
    "Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months."
    —Clifford Stoll

In TX owners/managers can keep CHL holders out by placing a sign regardless of what type of establishment it is.
    TexasCops.net

Comment

Exact same law is now in effect in TN. The first bill was thrown out by a judge because it was too broad and did not specify between drinking establishments. The new bill that did pass allows folks to carry them anywhere alcohol is served unless otherwise posted by the owner/management. I don't see anything good at all coming out of people that carry a gun into a pool hall/bar. It will only take a couple of shootings for this bill to be yanked or amended.
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Do the kind of people who shoot others in bars generally care if their firearm is being carried legally or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
          Do the kind of people who shoot others in bars generally care if their firearm is being carried legally or not?
          Most people don't carry in bars because it is illegal. Make it legal and a lot more people will carry if given the chance. Even if they aren't the type to normally shoot other people mix together guns, alcohol and egos fueled with that alcohol and something bad is bound to happen.

As for the law itself, for some reason I'm picturing a scene from some old spaghetti western running through my head.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
          shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
          - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

First of all, these laws are not 'guns in bars' laws/bills like the lying POS media portrays them to be. More like...I'm taking my family for dinner at Texas Roadhouse, a restaurant that happens to serve alcohol, I don't drink so I'd rather carry my handgun, that nobody will see anyway, rather than leave it out in the truck where some thug will steal it. Or if I go to a restaurant downtown, I'd like to have my handgun with me while walking back and wading through the dozen or so crack heads I'll encounter walking to the parking garage that I had to park in three blocks over.
            The local news media here went to the sleaziest crappiest Bars and asked the bearded morons wearing the dirty t-shirts, who had no idea what they were talking about, their opinions. I didn't see, not one time, any honest reporting about our first law.
            Nobody will be able to legally take a gun into a traditional 'Bar'. Surely everyone knows the difference between the Outback Steakhouse and a real 'Bar'. I'm sure most establishments that fall close to that percentage of food/alchol sold will opt to keep armed customers out anyway, so it's much to do about nothing.
            The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Well we'll see what happens, or doesn't happen.

Comment

Ya'll know what's great about this? A few years back, 15 or 20 years ago, when the gun banners were having a lot of success, especially with the dumb dumb public, who the hell would have thought that in 2010 we'd be talking about these types of laws, even with the media lies. Just shows how badly the anti-gun people have basically lost the gun debate in this country. Liberals just don't grow as well as they used to. They have to import them from Canada or something.
                Last edited by tony.o; 06-28-2010, 12:36 AM.
                The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

My state specifically states you cannot CCW and consume alcohol or where alcohol is served. I tagged a DUI about a month ago who was carrying CCW at the time. He didn't comprehend why his gun was taken as evidence and I filed revocation on him.
                  Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                  I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                  Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                  as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Here in NV we are legal with a gun in a bar drinking until we're up to a .08 BAC, unless it is prohibited by the bar. IMO we do not have an epidemic of random drunken bar shootings so I'm not too concerned about it.
                    Last edited by Fëanor; 06-28-2010, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
                      Ya'll know what's great about this? A few years back, 15 or 20 years ago, when the gun banners were having a lot of success, especially with the dumb dumb public, who the hell would have thought that in 2010 we'd be talking about these types of laws, even with the media lies. Just shows how badly the anti-gun people have basically lost the gun debate in this country. Liberals just don't grow as well as they used to. They have to import them from Canada or something.
                      I will say, though that our state has a huge drinking problem and were one of the tops for murders and rape, and I don't think guns should be any were near it(not that they aren't already, but from a legal perspective I don't think they should be).
                      Btw, You act as if the Liberals are getting dumber. I'm a quite liberal...and I'm sure as heck not anti-gun. Oh how I love to shoot the .454. I just figured I should learn how to shoot if the conservatives decide to start a revolution. /s. I kid, I kid. Everyone is in his right to bear arms.
                      Originally posted by Law100
                      I didn't realize you were the chump that reported me. In that case, I hope you die slowly.
                      "Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months."
                      —Clifford Stoll

Comment

Originally posted by bsd13 View Post
                        Most people don't carry in bars because it is illegal. Make it legal and a lot more people will carry if given the chance. Even if they aren't the type to normally shoot other people mix together guns, alcohol and egos fueled with that alcohol and something bad is bound to happen.

As for the law itself, for some reason I'm picturing a scene from some old spaghetti western running through my head.
                        Depends on the state if it's illegal or not, my state it is legal. It's even legal to drink while carrying. I don't hear about many bar shootings.

Originally posted by LINY View Post
                        Well we'll see what happens, or doesn't happen.
                        I'm betting on the latter.

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                        Here in NV we are legal with a gun in a bar drinking until we're up to a .08 BAC, unless it is prohibited by the bar. IMO we do not have an epidemic of random drunken bar shootings so I'm not too concerned about it.
                        My state (IN) is pretty much the same, although there is no restriction on BAC and posting signs means pretty much nothing. They have to see it and tell you to leave, if you don't leave then you can be charged with trespassing.

Comment

Originally posted by timjoebillybob View Post
                          My state (IN) is pretty much the same, although there is no restriction on BAC and posting signs means pretty much nothing. They have to see it and tell you to leave, if you don't leave then you can be charged with trespassing.
                          And given a choice I shop and eat out in the state of IN rather than OH, it is about an equal number of miles for me to drive either way.

Bill
                          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I know in Texas that these require at least 51% of the establishment's revenue to be generated from non-alcoholic sales. Is this provision in the NM law as well?

Comment

Originally posted by ChiliManiac View Post
                              http://www.koat.com/news/24062368/detail.html
                              SANTA FE, N.M. -- People licensed to carry a concealed handgun can take their weapons into New Mexico restaurants serving wine and beer under a new state law.

However, restaurant owners and managers have the option of placing a sign at the entrance prohibiting patrons from bringing in their firearms.

Albuquerque restaurant owner Rick Camuglia welcomed the new law that takes effect on July 1. He said it will make his restaurant safer if some customers carry concealed handguns.

Marie Coleman plans on posting a sign to keep handguns out of her restaurant in Albuquerque's Old Town. Coleman said she's worried about the potential liability if someone had a glass of wine at her restaurant, then left and shot somebody with their handgun.

I should ask, how do you officers feel about this type of law? Do you think it makes the environment safer?
                              I got no problem with the that type of law. We have the right to carry, so why not be allowed to carry into a restaurant/bar? What we need to worry about is enforcing the laws against people who violate the law (insert any gun law you'd like). Law abiding citizens should have the right to carry where they see fit, save for the obvious (courts and the like). We can't protect everyone, 24 hours a day!

Floyd T.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9026 users online. 301 members and 8725 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X