Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $45 Million Drug Bust

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/26/...ex.html?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- Authorities in southern California said the strong smell of marijuana helped them discover $45 million worth of drugs in the back of a tractor-trailer they had pulled over for a traffic violation.

Deputies stopped the truck Wednesday morning, then opened the trailer after finding problems with the paperwork for the load, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office said Friday.

An "overwhelming odor" led investigators to about 20 tons of narcotics stashed in pallets in the back of the truck, including about 38,000 pounds of marijuana, 2,700 pounds of cocaine and 67 pounds of methamphetamine, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

Sheriff Rod Hoops said Friday night the seizure was one of the largest in the county's history.

The truck's driver, Fernando Luevano, 32, was arrested and charged with possession, transportation and sale of narcotics, authorities said.

Holy crap! Probably coming from Mexico. Now i've always wondered about this so maybe some of you can chime in. This drug bust is worth 45 million. But the law enforcement of that area can't get that money unless it's sold. So basically what's worth 45 million has no value. Would the government pay them for what it's worth and destroy the drugs? Or do they just destroy them and go around patting eachother on the back for the value of it destroyed? I've heard conspiracies that the drugs are sold back on the streets to make more money for the government, but i highly doubt that's no where near true thus it's a conspiracy.
    Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Or do they just destroy them and go around patting eachother on the back for the value of it destroyed?
      That's probably the case, and I bet it wouldn't be bad for morale either in that agency.
      Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
        ...Would the government pay them for what it's worth and destroy the drugs?...
        Local law enforcement is not entitled to every asset they seize. Rest assured though, the numbers will be brought up during future budget planning.

Comment

the 45 million value is irrelevant as far as asset forfeitre goes. that is the street value and is only printed to show readers the amount of narcotics seized. in cases like that police would likely be able to seize the truck/tractor and any monies on board.

each states laws are different regarding seizures from drug cases. if i stop a car with trace amounts of meth in it i can file on the car and any cash. it doesnt mean the county will get it. a superior court judge decides in a civil hearing. if the car is registered to someone else its especially hard to take. you must be able to show that the car was used specifically for that crime/monies seized were results of drug sales etc...
          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Yup, they gets them a new truck just like Super Troopers.

Comment

^^^^^

I LOL after reading that.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by xcfmx View Post

Sheriff Rod Hoops said Friday night the seizure was one of the largest in the county's history.
                I'm a bit taken aback that 20 tons of the mess was only ONE of the largest finds in the county's history.

This is why we'll never win the "drug war."

sigh

Comment

But you guys definately put a dent in it. Don't give up!

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                    ...This is why we'll never win the "drug war."

sigh
                    http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?...3-830b0833e524

http://bestoftheblogs.com/Home/29456

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37134751

"In the grand scheme, it has not been successful...Forty years later, the concern about drugs and drug problems is, if anything, magnified, intensified."

-U.S. drug czar Gil Kerlikowske

The methods employed in Canada by British Columbia's treatment centers are light years ahead of our nation's expensive, never ending, and unsuccessful war of attrition.

Comment

Originally posted by xcfmx View Post
                      The truck's driver, Fernando Luevano, 32, was arrested and charged with possession, transportation and sale of narcotics, authorities said.
                      ...and failure to signal for a lane change.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
                        I'm a bit taken aback that 20 tons of the mess was only ONE of the largest finds in the county's history.

This is why we'll never win the "drug war."

sigh
                        The reason you'll never win the drug war is society by and large doesn't see marijuana as part of the drug war. Crack, meth, heroine, et al yes, but not marijuana. Nor do most of us into the general public buy into the idea of it being a gateway/stepping stone drug. You ask almost any American and pot doesn't even register on a scale of "troublesome substances", let alone dangerous drugs. In fact aside from politicians, and ultra conservative church memberships the only people who I ever meet who still think it's a war are law enforcement.

Having said that let me be clear that I'm talking about personal possession/use - A home grown plant or two is one thing. 20 tons driving down the road is clearly not for personal use and most Americans have a huge problem with that particularly knowing it's 99% certain it's coming from the cartels out of Mexico.
                        He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
                        shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
                        - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Originally posted by bsd13 View Post
                          Having said that let me be clear that I'm talking about personal possession/use - A home grown plant or two is one thing. 20 tons driving down the road is clearly not for personal use and most Americans have a huge problem with that particularly knowing it's 99% certain it's coming from the cartels out of Mexico.
                          It could be for personal use if you're Ricky Williams.

Comment

"A home grown plant or two is one thing"

^^+50

Comment

^^ huh?????

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6885 users online. 357 members and 6528 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X