300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a ticket and not happy about it.

OK, I know some of you Kool Aid drinkers will defend this but I'll tell my story anyway.

Last Friday I am driving back from Fort Benning to my home in NJ after five months on active duty. I turn off I 85 in VA to get gas and find a hotel at about midnight after 12 hours of driving. I get gas but can't find a hotel so I get back on 85. I pass a cop and then look at my speedometer and realize that I am doing 78 which is speeding no matter where, however, I thought the speed limit was 70 as it had been for hours, but then saw the sign that said 60.

In any event, I told the cop I was a prosecutor( showed badge) heading home to NJ and that I was just coming off active duty and had been driving 12 hours from Benning. I was very polite and all the guy says is " I can't listen to this, I am on a busy interstate, I'll be right back". He comes back to my car and hands me a ticket.

Well, I suppose that in Dimwhittie County VA there's no professional courtesy for those in LE( we're sworn in my office) and an Army officer. The damn thing is going to cost me $151.00.

So yeah, this Yankee is not too happy that Goober gave me a ticket. It sucked, although not nearly as much as Fort Benning did.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

How old are you? based off your post, and nothing else, I'd say you're about 17... Grow up.

Comment

Well, it ain't the first time I've heard this story (and I doubt it's the first time you've heard of it). Sucks, and I would probably be pizzed off too if I were a cop/in your shoes. But it's definitely not unheard of. If the place is anywhere close to your residence, you could always show up and ask them to drop it. I heard a rumor once that a local municipality nearby me makes a practice of dismissing what they consider ticky tack traffic offenses given by officers they don't like or officers that give "too many" tickets for minor infractions. No idea if there's any truth to it.
      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Last edited by TheSenator; 06-25-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

You lean on professional courtesy, but go on to characterize the officer as "Goober," after admitting to doing eighteen miles per hour over the posted speed limit. This wasn't a case of doing a mere 5-8 mph over. I would have written you a citation too, and been insulted that at 18mph over the posted speed limit, you still tried to badge your way out of a ticket on the side of a busy interstate. Incidentally, you're a prosecutor. How is it that you have a badge? Anyway, as an Army officer, I would have expected you to have a little better concept of personal responsibility. Get over it and pay your dang ticket. Cripes.
          Last edited by BCSD Frank; 06-25-2010, 01:24 PM.
          Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

Hmm, that's interesting. When I get tickets I'm all excited and can't wait to tell my mom and dad. It's really fun

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
            - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by BDA2WRX View Post
              How old are you? based off your post, and nothing else, I'd say you're about 17... Grow up.
              Well, I'll be 18 next month. I got my law degree at 14, became a prosecutor at 15 and got my Army commission at 16. Oh, and served in gulf war one as an enlisted man at -2 .

No question that the fat out of shape hillbilly was within his right. However, never happened to me before nor any ADA that I know. I would have assumed my civilian status and service to my country would have outweighed his bitterness over losing the Civil War.

Comment

Guess I'm a kool aid drinker to think that you be held to the same standard as everyone else.
                For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                  OK, I know some of you Kool Aid drinkers will defend this but I'll tell my story anyway.

Last Friday I am driving back from Fort Benning to my home in NJ after five months on active duty. I turn off I 85 in VA to get gas and find a hotel at about midnight after 12 hours of driving. I get gas but can't find a hotel so I get back on 85. I pass a cop and then look at my speedometer and realize that I am doing 78 which is speeding no matter where, however, I thought the speed limit was 70 as it had been for hours, but then saw the sign that said 60.

In any event, I told the cop I was a prosecutor( showed badge) heading home to NJ and that I was just coming off active duty and had been driving 12 hours from Benning. I was very polite and all the guy says is " I can't listen to this, I am on a busy interstate, I'll be right back". He comes back to my car and hands me a ticket.

Well, I suppose that in Dimwhittie County VA there's no professional courtesy for those in LE( we're sworn in my office) and an Army officer. The damn thing is going to cost me $151.00.

So yeah, this Yankee is not too happy that Goober gave me a ticket. It sucked, although not nearly as much as Fort Benning did.
                  It is all about the attitude. In Texas I have driven away from 125 in an 80 due to just military status. In another instance I got 6 miles over because I projected the wrong attitude when pulled over. DPS officers both times.

Either way, you did the crime and you paid the price.

There is a mantra that I learned while in the service, "Do what your collar can afford". It has served me well in life since.
                  The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                  After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Well, I'll be 18 next month. I got my law degree at 14, became a prosecutor at 15 and got my Army commission at 16. Oh, and served in gulf war one as an enlisted man at -2 .

No question that the fat out of shape hillbilly was within his right. However, never happened to me before nor any ADA that I know. I would have assumed my civilian status and service to my country would have outweighed his bitterness over losing the Civil War.
                    Hahah.. sending this thread down the toilet quick, but still a funny post.
                    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Okay, you've crossed the line into being a troll, now. No one cares. Shut up and pay your ticket, crybaby.
                      Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

In fairness, speed limits on 85 and 95 change frequently from like 70 to 65, to 70 and back to 60. Granted that one should be responsible but 12 hours on the road really wears a person down. I actually thought it was 70 but Goober set me straight.

And it's not like I called him Goober to his face. I am sure he and his wife/cousin and very nice people.

Comment

*Hmph*....Army officers, and a lawyer at that.....go figure.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Smurfette
                          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                          Originally posted by DAL
                          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by BCSD Frank View Post
                            Okay, you've crossed the line into being a troll, now. No one cares. Shut up and pay your ticket, crybaby.
                            Oh come on, Frank. VA has that reputation. They don't care much for Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by BCSD Frank View Post
                              You lean on professional courtesy, but go on to characterize the officer as "Goober," after admitting to doing eighteen miles per hour over the posted speed limit.
                              Exactly.

AND you knew how we would react and launched your own pre-emptive strike by calling us all "kool-aid drinkers."

I'm noticing a pattern here - you, a self-proclaimed prosecutor, see us mere police officers as being far beneath you and your station, think you deserve to be allowed to commit crimes that others aren't because of your position, and think you're above the law. Quite frankly, I don't want you on our side. Why don't you resign and become a defense attorney? It's far more suitable to your elitist personality.
                              Last edited by mac266; 06-25-2010, 01:35 PM.
                              MAC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2378 users online. 155 members and 2223 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X