Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharky
    replied
    We actually do that where I work - loaner RADAR and warning letters sent to vehicle owners. We make the citizen keep logs of speeds. One thing it accomplishes: the citizens' perception of speed is usually high, once they really start clocking those 'fast and furious' neighbors. I think it's more of a PR tool than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi1
    replied
    Oh, man, I know a neighbor of mine who washed out of the Police Academy that would do this in an instant and act like a LEO too. He has a lot of "parent" in him. He's constantly trying to make people answer to him. You get a guy like this involved and you have liability on your hands. He also carries a small, licensed handgun. When my H heard a noise at a neighbors house (they were out of town), he went over to see if a door was secured. Here come this ******* pointing a gun at him telling hikm to freeze. My H went apes*it on him.

Leave a comment:

• lone ranger
    replied
    Where I live, even Municipal Police Officers are not allowed to run radar. Only PSP.

Leave a comment:

• Oregon Mike
    replied
    A friendly reminder for people that don't know how fast they're going... I feel safer already.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Bob A
    replied
    I don't think that it's the answer. There's a place for direct citizen involvement, but not this way. Example:

I've lived in my house since 3/96 and am the third house from an intersection controlled by a stopsign. I have noticed more than a dozen wrecks at this intersection. In August, I was washing my truck when a car ran the stop sign and hit somebody in the intersection, and it occurred to me that since I've lived here that there had been so many wrecks and all had been during the day but 1.

I contacted a Sgt in traffic at PPD and discussed it with him. He pulled a report from the database and said this was the most dangerous intersection in the city not controlled by a 4-way or signal light. We talked further and he noted my thoughts on the wrecks happening during the day. There were more than 25 wrecks in less than 8 years, all but 1 during working hours. Nearly all of those were on weekdays around lunch time, and most were vehicles coming from one particular direction.

I ran an errand, and when I was on my way home I stopped at the intersection, and realized why so many cars ran the sign. A neighbor was parking her school bus so that it completely blocked the sign when you travel to the east. I called the Sgt back and he spoke to her. She parks on a side street and there hasn't been a wreck since.

He and his Lt. did some more comparisons using the computer and noted at least 3 other trouble areas in the city. IMO, this is how citizens can work with the police to solve problems.

Leave a comment:

• Sig220Man
    replied
    Not only does a program like this accomplish nothing, but in the hands of untrained civilians it can cause some real problems.

In my state, in order to be "radar certified" an officer must complete a course that's anywhere between 24 and 40 hours long. As part of that course an officer must accurately judge the speed of 10 moving vehicles, from both a stationary AND a moving perspective, without the help of any sort of speed measuring device or system, to within +/- 5 MPH. From what I've seen on this board, officers of other states have longer training and/or more strict accuracy requirements.

So why is a citizen being allowed to handle and operate a piece of equipment worth thousands of dollars when his "qualifications" to do so amount to little more than being a member of Neighborhood Watch?

Imagine the feuds that would arise if a radar gun-toting citizen went up to his neighbors and accused them of speeding, when in reality they got an erroneous reading due to a lack of training.

Worse, I've met and talked to a few Neighborhood Watch types that have let their new-found "authority" (in reality they have none) get to their heads; I can't imagine the havoc they'll create by having a radar gun in their hands [Eek!]

Leave a comment:

• FLLawdog
    replied
    I don't like it for one reason...someone with a little bit of knowledge is twice as dangerous with someone with no knowledge. You start putting RADAR units in the hands of the slightly informed and before you know it, some cowboy will come along and get the thing shoved up his a** because he took it too far with a motorist.

Beyond that, I'd really like to hear the testimony and see how the judge/hearing officer accepts their training and experience.

And ANOTHER thing! How do they go about positively identifying the driver? By doing a show up? To me, that makes it more trouble than it's worth. Plus, what will that accomplish? We can't stroke it if we didn't see it.

Leave a comment:

• Niteshift
    replied
    They did that a few years ago down in my area. Accomplished nothing.

Leave a comment:

• nickg
    replied
    we could use them on my street. frikkin' idiots fly up and down the street like it's a g-damn freeway.

i am surprised that no one has gotten hurt OR WORSE the way these @$$holes fly.

during the summertime i cringe everytime i see kids riding their bikes. we have one street that comes off of mine, a blind alley, AND a dead end street that kids seem to like to come flying out of on their bikes and it just worries the **** outta me since you know how kids are, reckless abandon and all.

Leave a comment:

• PeacefulDragon
    started a topic Neighbors with Radar guns

Neighbors with Radar guns

Here is the article.

quote:
    BROOKSVILLE -- Residents with radar guns may soon patrol the streets of Brooksville.

Police Chief Ed Tincher is seeking volunteers for citizen traffic patrols.

Whether the program goes into effect, Tincher said, depends on how many residents come forward. They will not be allowed to issue tickets, he said; instead, the Police Department will send letters to violators identified by the patrols.

"We're currently sending out the word to see how many people are interested," Tincher said. "Once we have a body of volunteers, the desire of (City) Council is to arm them with radar guns and take them to an area where we have a problem with speeders."

Residents of the Candlelight subdivision on the city's southwest side, who have long complained about speeding traffic on Candlelight Boulevard, originally discussed the idea of the patrol with council member Joe Bernardini. Council members approved the patrols at their May 7 meeting.

Tincher said Thursday that any volunteers would be required to work throughout the city, not just in Candlelight. Bernardini said, however, that the volunteers should be allowed to concentrate on their own neighborhoods, because they have taken the initiative to come forward.

"They do have a (legitimate) gripe in that area. I would say, right now, let's work on their neighborhood. If that works, they can venture out to the rest of the city," Bernardini said.

Tincher and Bernardini also have broader disagreements about the program.

Tincher said he has some concerns there might be confrontations between volunteers and motorists.

"Any time we post a civilian volunteer out on the street, there's a lot of inherent risks in that, especially when you are pointing a radar gun at somebody," he said.

"He always is (opposed) to anything progressive," Bernardini said. "The stagnation at the Police Department is a real concern. It's always a reactive rather than a proactive approach, and I don't think that's the kind of approach we need right now. If you keep doing the same old thing, you're going to keep getting the same old results."

Though Tincher said he did not know exactly how the program will be organized, it will be designed to minimize confrontations. Also, it will probably be similar to the one formed last year in Crystal River.

There, the patrols consist of three or four residents. One uses the radar gun, another writes down a description of the car and a third records the license plate number; sometimes a fourth member is needed to help with the plate numbers.

This information is delivered to the Police Department, which then writes a warning letter.

Though the letters do not have the impact of a traffic ticket, Tincher said, they can be effective in two ways.

"Driving is a habit. For those people who don't realize how fast they are going, this could be a nice friendly reminder," he said.

"Or the letter may come to the parent who does not realize the child was out there cruising at 70 mph in the family Buick."

Radar training
    Brooksville residents who are interested in being trained to use hand-held radar units to monitor traffic should contact the city clerk's office at 544-5407. For people with disabilities, the city's TDD phone number is 544-5420. Volunteers must be city residents, registered voters and at least 18 years old.

Comments? [Wink]

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2374 users online. 135 members and 2239 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X