Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Carry On Its Way Out In California?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Carry On Its Way Out In California?

I guess the Open Carry folks rubbed too many folks the wrong way in California.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...=scinlineshare

June 1, 2010
    Assembly passes ban on carrying unloaded handguns in public
    Legislation to outlaw the carrying of unloaded handguns in public was passed Tuesday by the Assembly.

The measure, Assembly Bill 1934, received the bare-minimum number of votes necessary, passing 41-25, with Republicans opposed.

The bill was crafted in response to a protest movement, "Open Carry," in which activists wield unloaded guns in public places to publicize opposition to gun-control laws as well as difficulties in obtaining concealed-weapons permits.

Supporters of AB 1934 said that current law places police in an untenable position, responding to reports of gun-wielding pedestrians but unable legally to demand that such protesters show identification or proof that their weapon is registered.

Opponents countered that AB 1934 would infringe on Californians' right to bear arms and to protest peacefully in whatever manner they choose.

State law bans the carrying of loaded firearms in public, but not unloaded weapons.

AB 1934 would make it a misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail, to carry an exposed, unloaded gun in a public place or on a public street inside a city or in prohibited unincorporated areas of a county.

The bill contains numerous exceptions, including display of a firearm by a peace officer, authorized military organization, firearm dealer, or by a licensed hunter while engaged in that sport.

AB 1934 now goes to the Senate.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalert...#ixzz0pekD58NK
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Mixed feelings about this... I'm sure the open carry "movement" didn't help their case at all with their antics, but California definitely needs to make it easier for law-abiding citizens to obtain a concealed carry permit. From what I understand, it's damn near impossible to obtain one, there.
    Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

gee I wonder...............where is that OC fella
      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

He's saving the world... check back in 30 minutes.

Comment

Congratulations! You have damn near created a complete nanny state! If I were a criminal, where would I go to break the law??? Hmmm....anyone else hear "It's a Small World" playing softly in the background?
          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

California.........You can openly carry a firearm but it can't be loaded. I wonder if I can get a Safariland holster for a typewriter.
            Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
            I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
            Originally posted by weinerdog2000
            as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Way to go OpenCarry, Justme001, justme08, and the other anti-law enforcement/open carry trolls. I love it, just wish Kommiefornia would change to a "shall-issue CCW" state and allow law abiding folks to legally protect themselves.

Comment

The measure, Assembly Bill 1934, received the bare-minimum number of votes necessary, passing 41-25, with Republicans opposed.
                Damned liberals in the population centers such as LA and SF are to blame for that. They over-ride the rest of the state damned near every single time.

Originally posted by BCSD Frank View Post
                Mixed feelings about this... I'm sure the open carry "movement" didn't help their case at all with their antics, but California definitely needs to make it easier for law-abiding citizens to obtain a concealed carry permit. From what I understand, it's damn near impossible to obtain one, there.
                Depends on which county you live in. From what I understand, CA is a may issue state. Some of the more rural counties such as Mendocino will issue you one as long as you pay the required fees, training, BI etc. I have a reputable source in LE that has informed me that the Sheriff there treats his county as a shall issue. Have to remember though, this is in the middle of the Emerald Triangle where all of the big marijuana grows are.

Stanislaus, the county I reside in, generally will only issue you a CCW if you live in a rural area. However, the Sheriff is facing some major cuts in the budget and has vowed to make it easier to obtain one. He is facing a 52 man reduction in his staff. He is also up for re-election so we shall see if this is a vote ploy.

Los Angeles county on the other hand, you damned near have to be a movie star or know someone high up in LE to get one. The fees are astronomical and they are the only ones that can afford them. Stupid dumb*** liberals.

CA isn't the worst state to try to get a CCW in. I hear it's damned near next to impossible to get one in the state of Illinois.

Originally posted by BigTex44 View Post
                Way to go OpenCarry, Justme001, justme08, and the other anti-law enforcement/open carry trolls. I love it, just wish Kommiefornia would change to a "shall-issue CCW" state and allow law abiding folks to legally protect themselves.
                No disagreements from me on that.
                Last edited by CTR man; 06-02-2010, 03:11 AM.
                www.ldscops.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres PD.
                In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres PD.

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17539

Comment

Maybe everyone shouldn't be allowed to have a gun.. I mean, this reporter wouldn't be able to figure out how to carry, or even wear, a weapon without wielding it.

In fact, is there a legal way to stop this person from carrying coin rolls?
                  lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.

Comment

This law is stupid, but the open carry movement has themselves to blame for making such a big stink. You guys wanted attention from the media and the politicians? You got it. Oh well, at least whathshisface got to be on the cover of the Reader wearing his unloaded gun. I bet 15 minutes of fame never tasted so good.
                    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

I know of people that were able to get a CCW permit in Cali. Evidently, it's not terribly difficult in a lot of the state. I even think Orange and San Bernardino will issue them if you meet their qualifications. That was a few years ago so it may have changed now.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                        I know of people that were able to get a CCW permit in Cali. Evidently, it's not terribly difficult in a lot of the state. I even think Orange and San Bernardino will issue them if you meet their qualifications. That was a few years ago so it may have changed now.
                        You can get one in SB county still.....dont even bother trying in Orange county......new Sheriff......some of the more rural counties are still fairly CCW friendly.....
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by pvtbuddie View Post
                          Maybe everyone shouldn't be allowed to have a gun.. I mean, this reporter wouldn't be able to figure out how to carry, or even wear, a weapon without wielding it.

In fact, is there a legal way to stop this person from carrying coin rolls?
                          Dont give the polititcians any ideas.....as more than a few of them feel that ALL weapons should be illegal.....
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I see that. I was just looking that up. Sounds like that new Sheriff is a true bitch. She wants to revoke the CCWs that were issued.

Comment

Well, I'm glad to know that CCW permits are becoming easier to obtain. That is, IMO, how it should be.
                              Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9675 users online. 339 members and 9336 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X