Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey hey USA!!!!

Hello all:

Just got back from my 3 day sojourn in New York. What can I say? Absolutely fantastic. It was my first trip to the US, and it was everything I expected and more. What with me being a city person and all, it was superb. I really did NOT want to leave!

Went to the WTC site, did plenty of shopping, played spot the crackhead in Times Square, Empire state etc etc etc. Brilliant!

I really am very jealous of you all who live there. My motivation is such that I am now fairly determined to think about moving, but anyway....a couple of questions:

WTF is breakfast all about?????? Pancakes, syrup and sausages????? On the same plate?????????

Are suit trousers purposefully cut/worn so they just reach the ankle? No men I saw wearing suits had 'properly' cut trousers.

What are the large pouches many NYPD wore on their hips??? Traffic vests or gas masks?????

I'll pose more Qs when they pop into my head. They are curiousity questions, and arent meant to be offensive or anything, so pls dont take offence!!!
    'Trust no-one'

quote:
    Originally posted by Urban Jedi:
    Are suit trousers purposefully cut/worn so they just reach the ankle? No men I saw wearing suits had 'properly' cut trousers.

The only answer I have to that is some of us are taller then the average person. Try being 6'4" or taller and finding a pair of pants at a "normal" store that are long enough. I have the same problem with shirts. In order to get the sleeves long enough or the tail long enough to stay tucked in, I have to buy 2 sizes too big. Then the rest is really baggy. It wasn't such a problem until I moved to a small town that doesn't have any big and tall shops.

I hate shopping for clothes for that reason. No one has my size. Same comes to boots and shoes. Most normal stores don't carry anything big enough for me. And ordering clothes sucks because you can't try anything on.

Comment

quote:
      WTF is breakfast all about?????? Pancakes, syrup and sausages????? On the same plate?????????

Now you know why millions of Americans are overweight. LOL

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

[ 05-10-2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: 156 ]

Comment

quote:
        WTF is breakfast all about??????
        Ummm,eating!

quote:
        Pancakes, syrup and sausages????? On the same plate?????????
        Yes, why not?
        Bill R

Comment

usually when you go to new york, you get a courtesy mugging. did you miss out?

Comment

Thanks for calling me!

The large pouches on the NYPD officers' hips are called holsters. Say it slowly with me now..holllllllsterrrrrrrrs. I figured you english blokes wouldnt know what they were!

They're leather pouches used to hold paperwork, ticketbooks, etc. They're the only department I know of that use them. Glad you had fun!

Comment

Jay

Didnt have ur contact details...sorry

The pouches I saw were nylon, and very big. They had a second strap attachment which went round the upper leg, securing them in place. Most cops I saw had them, although some 'old sweats' didnt (identifiable by their rusty revolvers!).
              'Trust no-one'

Comment

The nylon pouches are probably used for gas masks. The leather pouches were used by Mounted (horses) & Highway Patrol (motorcycles) to carry their extra summonses & memo books.

[ 05-11-2003, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: 3/4s ]
                Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

Comment

It is a great city to visit and I am glad you liked it, the NYPD should be congratulated in making it such a safe place to visit, we have never once felt threatened.
                  Apart from visiting my brother in law in Spain for a cheap holiday we always take our holidays in America, there is something for everyone.
                  We have met some wonderful people there who we are now good friends with.On the whole the people are very friendly and welcoming. Do try some other places there, you wont be disappointed and as for those little idiosyncrasies like the breakfasts, they just add to the experience!
                  The US Govt used to run a tourism office here in London but closed it!!That was rather short sighted in my opinion, we should be encouraging visitors to each others countries as no one else seems to like us!
                  I am off to Orlando in 8 days time to visit my friend and I cant wait, shares in Walmart will no doubt rise as a result.

Comment

the NYPD should be congratulated? me thinks Bill Clinton AND Rudy Guilliano are the ones who should be congratulated..... for raising the NYPD to 42000 from 28000 IN just a couple of years

the Metropolitan Police in London, are at 28000 and have been for 30 years and more, we have MORE to do than the NYPD (Royal Family, massive London Underground, Channel Tunnel) and we have far less officers

no wonder New York is a lot safer place - it was achieved with $ money $ and sheer political will

something that the UK government have decided is not required over this end
                    from your old mate
                    c h i e f y
                    global chiefy to yer seadog seafarin' maties

Comment

quote:

I guess someone doesn't like doing dishes. I hate it when they throw a few more things on a plate. Like pancakes, sausages, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns. Everything tastes like syrup from being on the same plate.

I am glad that you liked the trip.
                      Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Deputy Joe:
                        quote:

I guess someone doesn't like doing dishes. I hate it when they throw a few more things on a plate. Like pancakes, sausages, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns. Everything tastes like syrup from being on the same plate.
                        I actuallt put everything on the same plate if everthing comes on seperate plates..old habit. I used to mix everything up when i was a kid.....I know...EEEEEEEWWWWWW. I like my eggs over medium on top of my pancakes that have already been buttered a syrupified (ha...my own word. The sausage and potatoes are on the side...if I feel like catsup on my hash browns, I keep those on a sperate plate. If I am having a Mexican Breakfast with eggs and chorizo, beans, papas (that be potatoes to you monolinguals ...ha) Oooooh..I wanna go home, I put everything in a home-made flour tortilla with some hot salsa.....During the Christmas season, mom always gets tamales and we have tamales for breakfast (with eggs) after we have had too many on Christmas eve before for dinner.....oh boy....

I am glad that you liked the trip.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."
                        Davy Crockett

Comment

hey..what happened to my post?..it was so good..all about food...Mexican breakfast at my house back home.....oh well, just use your imagination
                          "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."
                          Davy Crockett

Comment

quote:

That's a good meal! It was missing eggs though...

As for pants cut...they're short in NY. They ought to be a bit longer, resting on the top of the shoe. But hey, who are we? [Wink]
                            I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5493 users online. 303 members and 5190 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X