• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN admits covering up atrocities

liberal weasel bastards CNN.

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/4/11/100450

Friday, April 11, 2003
    CNN Exec Admits Covering Up 'Maniac' Saddam's Atrocities

Here's another fascinating item we'll dedicate to Jacques Chirac, Nancy Pelosi and the other humiliated appeasement activists: A CNN big is admitting his network covered up the atrocities of Saddam Hussein.

Eason Jordan, chief news executive at CNN, writes in today's New York Times:

"Over the last dozen years I made 13 trips to Baghdad to lobby the government to keep CNN's Baghdad bureau open and to arrange interviews with Iraqi leaders. Each time I visited, I became more distressed by what I saw and heard — awful things that could not be reported because doing so would have jeopardized the lives of Iraqis, particularly those on our Baghdad staff. ...

"The secret police terrorized Iraqis working for international press services who were courageous enough to try to provide accurate reporting. Some vanished, never to be heard from again. Others disappeared and then surfaced later with whispered tales of being hauled off and tortured in unimaginable ways. ...

"I came to know several Iraqi officials well enough that they confided in me that Saddam Hussein was a maniac who had to be removed. One Foreign Ministry officer told me of a colleague who, finding out his brother had been executed by the regime, was forced, as a test of loyalty, to write a letter of congratulations on the act to Saddam Hussein. An aide to Uday once told me why he had no front teeth: henchmen had ripped them out with pliers and told him never to wear dentures, so he would always remember the price to be paid for upsetting his boss. ...

"Then there were the events that were not unreported but that nonetheless still haunt me. A 31-year-old Kuwaiti woman, Asrar Qabandi, was captured by Iraqi secret police occupying her country in 1990 for "crimes," one of which included speaking with CNN on the phone. They beat her daily for two months, forcing her father to watch. In January 1991, on the eve of the American-led offensive, they smashed her skull and tore her body apart limb by limb. A plastic bag containing her body parts was left on the doorstep of her family's home.

"I felt awful having these stories bottled up inside me. Now that Saddam Hussein's regime is gone, I suspect we will hear many, many more gut-wrenching tales from Iraqis about the decades of torment. At last, these stories can be told freely."

The important thing, of course, is that by covering up for the "maniac" Saddam, CNN's lobbyist succeeded in keeping the "news" bureau in Baghdad open, even if it failed to report the news.
    I'll post, You argue.

Sounds as though he also kept people alive...
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
    -Mark Twain

Comment

I thought Hussein's attrocities were pretty well known. I mean, this isn't 1945 in Germany. You'd have to be pretty ****ing stupid not to know that Hussein was butchering his own people -- oh, right, but if you're a conservative sheeple (not saying that all conservatives are, mind you, just Nick here), and CNN doesn't provide you with every bit of common-sense information then I guess you can cry cover-up.

Wait, I have another story about CNN covering things up! CNN now admits that it never did a story regarding the color of the sun, because, as Wolf Blitzer said, "Well, y'know, it's right there in the sky, it's not like its a secret or anything, it's been yellow since the dawn of time as best we know."

(PS - Fox is now alledging a government conspiracy which dyed the sun yellow from its original hot purple colorization).

Sorry Nick. But you're whining about a supposed "cover-up" of things which are not only common knowledge, but pretty well known to boot. CNN didn't do stories on cases of torture? Oh, my, what a cover-up! Too bad everyone knows its been going on for the past twenty-plus years, so it's not much of a cover-up, is it? Gosh, it's not a cover-up at all! Some sheeple = stupid.

Common sense Nick. It's a wonderful thing.

[ 04-11-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: ciaj ]

Comment

Liberal weasels at CNN!

Well, I can't argue with that. But, I think there were good reasons in some of those cases to not report the story. Any story that would put the subject's life in danger would fall in that category. Also, why admit now that you didn't report the stories? They could continue to keep quiet about what they new at the time.

Although I don't like CNN, I think this is probably legit.
        Paul

Comment

Friday, April 11, 2003
          CNN Exec Admits Covering Up 'Maniac' Saddam's Atrocities

Not exactly a "scoop" or shocking revelation.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by ciaj:
            I thought Hussein's attrocities were pretty well known. I mean, this isn't 1945 in Germany. You'd have to be pretty ****ing stupid not to know that Hussein was butchering his own people -- oh, right, but if you're a conservative sheeple (not saying that all conservatives are, mind you, just Nick here), and CNN doesn't provide you with every bit of common-sense information then I guess you can cry cover-up.

Wait, I have another story about CNN covering things up! CNN now admits that it never did a story regarding the color of the sun, because, as Wolf Blitzer said, "Well, y'know, it's right there in the sky, it's not like its a secret or anything, it's been yellow since the dawn of time as best we know."

(PS - Fox is now alledging a government conspiracy which dyed the sun yellow from its original hot purple colorization).

Sorry Nick. But you're whining about a supposed "cover-up" of things which are not only common knowledge, but pretty well known to boot. CNN didn't do stories on cases of torture? Oh, my, what a cover-up! Too bad everyone knows its been going on for the past twenty-plus years, so it's not much of a cover-up, is it? Gosh, it's not a cover-up at all! Some sheeple = stupid.

Common sense Nick. It's a wonderful thing.

damn ciaj -- you just always seem to put me in my place don't you?

apparently there must be something to the story or this guy wouldn't be trying to come clean about it now -- especially when it involves CNN.

now please don't hurt my feelings anymore.

I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Well, Nick, I find it kind of interesting that he came forward about it when pro-Saddam forces are almost completely out of control of Iraq, and that the revelations of specific incidents have a much less chance of resulting in insidious action against those making the reports.

Comment

I think more to the point is that when CNN KNEW that this kind of stuff was going on, they weren't more anti-Saddam. Objectively speaking they have not been what anyone would consider anti-Iraq/Saddam. They could have had more exiles on to talk about things that they've seen in the past without specifically mentioning what this guy saw. I watched a lot of CNN in the 90's and I can't think of a time I ever heard anything about Saddam unless he was kicking out inspectors or getting bombed by Clinton. CNN really could have done more to bring light to the situation especially knowing for a fact, as opposed to the hearsey of exiles, that attrocities were happening.
                On the wings of a dove
                Let's roll for justice
                Let's roll for truth
                Let's not let our children grow up
                Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

They should have done a weekly update on what Saddam was up to at any given time?

Comment

Sounds as though he also kept people alive...

That wouldn't have been a concern if he hadn't wanted to sell out in order to keep the Baghdad bureau open.

"You'd have to be pretty ****ing stupid not to know that Hussein was butchering his own people -- oh, right, but if you're a conservative sheeple (not saying that all conservatives are, mind you, just Nick here)"

Sounds pretty much like a personal attack to me.

"Sorry Nick. But you're whining about a supposed "cover-up" of things which are not only common knowledge, but pretty well known to boot. CNN didn't do stories on cases of torture? Oh, my, what a cover-up! Too bad everyone knows its been going on for the past twenty-plus years, so it's not much of a cover-up, is it? Gosh, it's not a cover-up at all! Some sheeple = stupid."

Perhaps you should do more research before starting to call people stupid. It will save you from getting shown the error of your ways as much.

There was more than just covering up those "well known" atrocities. CNN became aware of a plot to kill King Hussein of Jordan and Saddam's 2 sons-in-law that had fled to Jordan and began exposing info about Saddam.

CNN did inform King Hussein about the plot to kill him, but didn't bother with the other two. They were immediately killed when they returned to Iraq after being told that they were forgiven.

They had SPECIFIC knowledge of the plan to kill them, but covered it up. Perhaps with that info, those 2 could have made a more informed decision.

that the revelations of specific incidents have a much less chance of resulting in insidious action against those making the reports.

That wouldn't have been a problem had they done what every other US network had done, close their Baghdad bureau. Instead, they chose to sacrafice integrity for a chance at getting a "scoop".

Comment

I don't know Nite, under the common sense thing, "don't trust Saddam" seems to rank pretty high, even if you are one of his sons.

So instead of covering up atrocities, this pretty much comes down to, "they didn't tell his sons so they could avoid being killed." If MY dad was a homicidal sadistic dictator, *I* wouldn't trust him, but that's just me.

[ 04-12-2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: ciaj ]

Comment

quote:
                        So instead of covering up atrocities, this pretty much comes down to, "they didn't tell his sons so they could avoid being killed." If MY dad was a homicidal sadistic dictator, *I* wouldn't trust him, but that's just me.
                        So by that logic, if someone is about to walk in front of a bus, you shouldn't bother to tell them to stop, right? I mean, you know it's stupid to do so, and so should they. Even if you could prevent their deaths, it's not your fault, because they should have known better.

That's such a pompous and demeaning string of logic...

[ 04-12-2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Duke ]
                        Officer, I borrowed these pants!

Comment

This is just an example of my favorite aspect of the media.
                          Exploiting the First Ammendment for fun and profit.
                          The "Everyone knows Saddam's Bad" argument is comparable to "Everyone knows that if you try to climb up the bridge during a protest you might die" For some reason that guy really mattered to some of us a while ago...

Will Coy

Everyone knows "All Your Base Are Belong To Us."
                          "It's a thankless job but I have a lot of Karma to burn off."

Comment

Well it's blatantly obvious that the US military will crush the Iraqi military so it's just stupid that the war is being covered at all!!!

I mean, why do we really need any news coverage? The North Koreans are popping off at the mouth again? Well that's obvious. They always do that. You must be stupid to not know that!! N Korea kidnapped Japanese civilians? Well duh! It's not the first time dummy!!
                            On the wings of a dove
                            Let's roll for justice
                            Let's roll for truth
                            Let's not let our children grow up
                            Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

quote:
                              So by that logic, if someone is about to walk in front of a bus, you shouldn't bother to tell them to stop, right? I mean, you know it's stupid to do so, and so should they. Even if you could prevent their deaths, it's not your fault, because they should have known better
                              No, Duke, what it means is that CNN shouldn't have to do a news-story about how walking in front of a bus could be dangerous to your health for you to know that walking in front of a bus could be dangerous to your health.

quote:
                              That's such a pompous and demeaning string of logic...
                              I don't know about that, I just want to know why you think CNN should start doing news-stories about common sense issues.

quote:
                              The "Everyone knows Saddam's Bad" argument is comparable to "Everyone knows that if you try to climb up the bridge during a protest you might die" For some reason that guy really mattered to some of us a while ago...
                              Yes, but CNN did the story after the incident. You don't see anyone bitching about how CNN did a story about how climbing bridges could be dangerous to your health BEFORE it happened (because, well, it's sort of common sense -- climbing anything can be dangerous to your health). Maybe CNN should just start calling up everyone in the US: "Hi, this is CNN, we just want to let you know, the sun is yellow, climbing bridges and stepping in front of busses could be dangerous to your health ... don't point a loaded gun at your head and pull the trigger ... don't throw electrical appliances in the bathtub ..."

You know what? You're right. For failure to educate the American population - and that of the world - as to what is common sense, CNN has obviously covered-up Saddam's atrocities (never mind that they've been, hah, common knowledge).

[ 04-12-2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: ciaj ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4507 users online. 311 members and 4196 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X