300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media stuff

A lot was made over the past few weeks about the media's biases and beliefs being portrayed through their own outlets.

Here's a breaking story (the TV stations had it on their 5am reports) from www.orlandosentinel.com

Question 1:
    Are the known facts included in the report?

Question 2:
    Are the facts written as fact with no speculation?

Question 3:
    Does there seem to be any degree of bias in the story? This could include the opinions of the writer coming out in the story.

And finally, given what you have infront of you, would you be able to rewrite it in a manner that made every effort to show neutrality?

quote:
    An Orange County man described as a career criminal is behind bars today, hours after he was shot by deputy sheriffs who say he refused to get out of a car reported as stolen.

Tommy Bernard Mike, 27, of 701 W. Kaley St., was booked on an auto-theft charge at the Orange County Jail at 4:26 a.m., less than five hours after being shot in one of his shoulders and upper back.

Jim Solomons, a sheriff's spokesman, said Mike was inside a late-model Dodge Intrepid with Nebraska tags that was reported stolen when Deputies Matthew Pierce and Guillermo Diaz-Pitti approached him at about 11:43 p.m. on Lee Street near Kaley.

Solomons said Mike refused to comply with commands to get out of the car. At some point, one of the deputies fired a handgun, said Solomons.

Solomons said Diaz-Pitti was injured on his hand, elbow and shoulder while trying to arrest Mike. It was not clear Tuesday morning why deputies used their guns instead of a Taser stun gun.

Mike has been booked at the county jail at least 29 times since 1991. His record includes convictions for burglary, aggravated assault, theft, cocaine possession and other drug-related charges.

I'm trying to switch into an amateur journalist mood as I read this story.

The use of the phrase "less than five hours" could imply to some that this is too soon to be released from the hospital, but it apparently is a true statement.

The phrase "It was not clear why" is an admission that the writer doesn't know why shots were fired but it leaves me wondering if Mike did something other than just refuse to get out of the car.

I am wondering if the officer was hit by three separate bullets or did one of then travel up or down. I have never been shot, but I would think after the first one he would have moved enough that the third (if there was one) would have missed.

These are just the observations of a civilian and will probably sound stupid because it's a subject I don't know much about but I couldn't control myself. I just had to give my reactions.

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by FLLawdog:

Solomons said Diaz-Pitti was injured on his hand, elbow and shoulder while trying to arrest Mike. It was not clear Tuesday morning why deputies used their guns instead of a Taser stun gun.

[/QUOTE]

This is the paragraph that bugs me the most. The statement about the injury is vague but probably was caused by the suspect but they write it as though it just happened somehow.

The statement about the stun-gun is COMPLETELY unneccessary and serves no purpose but to make those reading the article think that officers took improper action and should have used stun-guns.

This is media bias in full-effect.
      Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Typical

What dumb*** journalism school reject thinks taking on a suspect armed with a firearm while you use a couple of Duracells and a wire is a good idea?

THAT is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FLLawdog:
          At some point, one of the deputies fired a handgun, said Solomons.

Maybe they should have put this after the part about Diaz-Pitti being injured.

Solomons said Diaz-Pitti was injured on his hand, elbow and shoulder while trying to arrest Mike.

It was not clear Tuesday morning why deputies used their guns instead of a Taser stun gun.

Maybe they didn't freakin have one. Why didn't they just ask nicely; or pray for divine intervention; or use that funky green light; or sticky foam?

I agree w/ Chief Wiggum. There's no point in asking the question other than to make it look like they should have done something else.
          On the wings of a dove
          Let's roll for justice
          Let's roll for truth
          Let's not let our children grow up
          Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

Not only do I think the writer was biased, I am surprised that the Police would release this much detail about the incident or the accused's past.

I would have edit the article this way:

"An Orange County man is in custody after being shot by deputy sheriffs when he was caught in a car reported as stolen.

Tommy Bernard Mike, 27, of 701 W. Kaley St., was booked on an auto-theft charge at the Orange County Jail after he was released from X Hospital where he was treated for his wounds.

Sheriff's Department spokesman Jim Solomons said Mike was in a car with Nebraska tags that was reported stolen when Deputies Matthew Pierce and Guillermo Diaz-Pitti approached him at about 11:43 p.m. on Lee Street near Kaley.

Solomons said Mike refused to comply with commands to get out of the car, after which one of the deputies fired a handgun. Diaz-Pitti was injured while trying to arrest Mike, but not seriously."
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

Well, it appears that others thought the same way I did.

The biggest thing that got me was the mention of the Taser. If the PIO wrote that release, he should really look elsewhere. If the paper re-wrote the release (had that happen a couple weeks ago-completely changed the incident), then that needs to stop.

The latest chapter is it may have been an AD. Nothing more has been said about it or the investigation. After seeing the way the original incident was reported, if I was the admin, I'd be hesitant to report anything else until the investigation is completely through, too.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Niteshift:
                Typical

What dumb*** journalism school reject thinks taking on a suspect armed with a firearm while you use a couple of Duracells and a wire is a good idea?

THAT is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Nicely put, I couldn't agree more. As soon as I read this, I had this image of some skinny journalist trying to fend off a mugger with two batteries and a wire. I laughed harder then I have in quite some time.

Comment

THe media is also using the fact that Columbia burned up on re-entry as a tool to generate more anti-war blabber. They are treating it almost like they did 9-11.

"The whole country is in mourning over this terrible disaster, and we need time to heal. We should wait before using force on a foriegn country and give diplomacy a chance. Or the UN, or whatever."

Or something like that.

It was a tragedy, it was also unfortunatly, a very expensive airplane crash in which 7 people were killed.

Comment

Two days ago, a police officer from an agency close to ours was shot in the mouth while pursuing a home invasion suspect. He returned fire and killed the suspect. The officer is at home recuperating.
                    The local paper was full of information about the incident today and I have to say....that it is the most cop friendly report of a shooting that I have ever seen. Instead of an article saying how wonderful the suspect was up until the shooting, it went into great detail about his criminal past. There was not one quote from a family or friend saying how misunderstood he was or how circumstances forced him into the life he led.
                    Here is a link to the paper.
                    Cop Shot

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Deputy757:
                      Two days ago, a police officer from an agency close to ours was shot in the mouth while pursuing a home invasion suspect. He returned fire and killed the suspect. The officer is at home recuperating.

I'm so glad to see the officer is ok!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5834 users online. 329 members and 5505 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X