300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Driver's License

One of the medics I work with has just returned from Germany. Has a German International DL, which is recognized by everyone, including the US. Was stopped and given a ticket after being back in the states for 14 days.

I know GE DL's are recognized but is there local requirements to have a US/State issued DL's when he is still in the military?
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
    Thomas Paine

Yes, in this state you have that long to change your DL and registration when you move your permanent address. But we usually give exception to college students and active duty military. If the move is temporary.

Comment

Look at the exemptions for TXDL's. Chapter 521 of the Transportation Code.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tr/tr0052100.html#tr013.521.027

Basically says he is exempt only if operating a military vehicle in the course of military duties, or if he's a non-resident with a valid DL from his home state or Canadian Province.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/tr/tr0052100.html#tr014.521.028

Gives military personnel no more than 90 days to get a TXDL after returning. Of course the DL has to be issued by a US military governing body and not a foreign country.

Never heard of the German DL you referred to. In Texas, basically no foreign DL is valid except Canada. There are certain exceptions with an International driving permit, which was discussed in a previous thread.

[ 01-29-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: KenM ]
      "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

Comment

Hey Hooa in order for your buddy to have obtain a German DL, he still needed to have a valid state DL. And yes he has to have a valid state DL in order to operate a personal vehicle. The foreign DL is a nice keep sake, and that is a bout it. The base he is stationed at will have its own policy regarding driving Military vehicles with out a state DL.

Comment

"a German International DL"

Is it a German license or an International Driving permit?

If it is an International Driving permit, under the International Drivers Compact, those are never valid in the country a person is a citizen of.

Comment

I will REclarify as to what the DL is. But I think I have the answer he is looking for. Thanks!!
            "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
            Thomas Paine

Comment

Having been stationed in Germany, I am sure he doesn't have a German DL. What he probably has is a "USAREUR" drivers license. Basically what it is, is a drivers license in which the United States and the German Govt both reconize. IT IS NOT A GERMAN LICENSE. Same with vehicle registration, and some of you may have seen this, the license plates are much different looking then German plates, and have the letters "USA" down the middle along with the tag number. Again, it is issued by the Military but part of a system that the German Govt reconizes, basically so military personel dont have to go through the hassles a German has too to get a license and register a vehicle. This Military Vehicle regitration/DL law is covered under the Status of Forces Agreement also known as SOFA. Many states have different regulations on how long you may drive with these tags and DL. To get the USAREUR dl you must have had a valid state DL at the time. So your friend must have a state DL, and I believe the state DL doesnt expire till he gets out of the military. Not sure if that depends on the state. As far as veh reg, in most states you are only allowed to drive with the USAREUR license plates for up to 90 Days. This 90 days is the time given to a service member to drive the vehicle from point of entry and such untill they can get it registered. I believe the amount of days you can drive with the plates is different in each state.

Comment

The Int'l DL is only a supplement to the DL issued to him/her by his/her native country (state), and it is only good in countries foreign to his own. SO, basically the Int'l DL ain't worth sqwat in the US if her/she is a US Citizen. Trust me, I know. 3 years in Grafenwoehr, Germany. Got my Int'l DL in Eschenbach, Germany. Now it's just a nice souvenir.

- Pat

Comment

In the UK this matter is covered by the Motor Vehicles(International Circulation)Order 1975.

This allows holders of convention driving licences/permits to drive for up to 12 months from the time of their last entry into the UK. This certainly applies to US licences. Indeed if you became resident here you could exchange your licence for a UK one.

International driving licences(permits) are issued by national motoring organisations. In the UK they are issued by the AA and RAC, and offer translations of your licence in several languages including non Latin script. According to the regs international permits should be treated the same as a domestic licence from a foreign drivers country.

Lobster.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5398 users online. 346 members and 5052 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X