300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUI County Fair Booth

Our DUI task force is looking for some good ideas for booths at upcoming fair type event? Any good ideas? There is usually lots of drinking my idea was to do PBT readings for a quarter or whatever a tube costs so people would realize how intoxicated they are and help the buzzed drivers who think they are sober enough. I was informed that the people who are over the limit could care less and that the only people who would come near us, let alone blow in a pbt, are only gonna be realizing they could have a few more drinks and still be under the limit.

Anyways, has anyone seen anything effective? I mean a business card with explanation how many drinks a 200 pound man could have in given amount of time? There has to be something more effective than handing out pamphlets like this.

So start throwing out some ideas.

Thanks

As a civilian, I know pamphlets aren't going to do the trick, because everyone just tosses them out at the nearest trash can as soon as they get handed to them. The PBT reading sounds like an interesting an more unique idea that it would attract more attention.

If you're going to be giving out any paperwork/pamphlets type stuff, give information about the monetary costs of a DUI. Such as the "10,000 ride home" and how a typical DUI costs about $10,000 by the time you pay bail, fines, fees and insurance, even if you didn't hit anything or hurt anybody.

Comment

Have people play "can you pass the SFST?" game. Other can watch and get a pretty good laugh.

Comment

Here's something that was done at one of the classes my oldest son is taking (he's 16 and in drivers' ed) that really impressed *him* ... they had some goggles that somehow mess up one's vision to give the wearer the sort of impairment that would exist at 'legally drunk' levels and then let the kids try some of those field tests while wearing the goggles.

(He was also really impressed by the "convincer" that simulates a crash at 7mph, but that's not really DUI-specific.)
        Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. --Mark Twain

Comment

The DUI goggles are fun if you can get your hands on a set.

Comment

We had a little track set up and used a golf cart to let the kiddies drive...My Sgt. added a little twist at our last event; he had a chat with the kids before they drove and had them write the name of their best friend on a piece of paper. He taped those names on the cones we had set up (out of sight) and when the driver hit a cone or multiple cones we read off the name(s) of who got ran over... it affected those kids in a remarkable way.
            It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
            Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

The beer goggles are great. Our PD has some we bring out for NNO. Doesn't really help making fat chicks skinnier but seriously throws off your equilribium. I think they go under the commercial name "Fatal Vision." The PBT idea is great. Of course if you really wanted to have fun, lead everyone into the booth and public intox everyone who blew over .08.
              Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Comment

-PBT's for .25cents? Make it a dollar, with proceeds going to fund the agency

-Have your accident recon team bring up some older crash photos showing what OWI fatalities look like (cover faces)

-How much does an OWI cost? Divide that by how much a 10 mile taxi ride costs in your area

-Drink Wheels. I've seen these from Intoximeters Inc. They're circular, and have a few different choices. http://www.uwc.edu/aode/alcohol/imag...wheel_icon.jpg You move your wheel to the size, age, sex, and how many drinks you've had and it estimates your BAC.
                "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Comment

I can't help you with DUI issues, but if you want a million dollars worth of positive PR that leaves the public feeling warm and fuzzy about you forever, make yours the Kid Print and Lost Child booth.

Have all lost children brought to your booth. Set up some hay bales to divide up your booth and keep the lost kids hidden behind them so some pedophile can't come up, shop and claim a 3 year old stranger's kid as his own. When a hysterical parent comes up screaming for you to lock down the fairgrounds until junior can be found and you have him right there, they will be your loyal supporters for life. All you need are some comic books, a TV, DVD player and some Disney movies to keep the kids occupied. Go to whoever runs the carnival games and they will probably donate to your booth all the new stuffed animals that have minor flaws and can't be given as prizes.

As far as kid print is concerned, there are packages you can buy (or make up yoursel). You give them to the parents to take home, complete and keep in a safe place. They contain all the information law enforcement would need if their child is ever kidnapped or disappears. Each year the parent adds an updated photo of the child. Before the child leaves, you fingerprint the child and give the parent the print card to take with them and put in the package. It must be emphasized that the package is not maintained by law enforcement. Instead, the parent keeps it in a safe place . . Also remember to use inkless fingerprint cards at the fair. Otherwise the kids will get ink all over everything.

Doing something for kids will make parents love you. It buys good will beyond measure. We took it over at our fair when the sheriff had a budget problem one year and had to cut the ptogram. When he realized all the PR he lost and we gained, there was a major urinating contest between the brass of our two agencies to get it back that went on for almost two years.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I like L-1's idea of appealing to parents and children. Appeal to the kids and they have to bring the rest of the family over.

Comment

I forgot to add, have your public affairs officer do a bunch of press, TV and radio announcements advertising that you will be doing Kid Print at the fair and asking parents to bring their children for free fingerprinting.

Also, look for sponsors (the local newspaper or auto dealerships are nice) to pay for the cost of kid print packages and to have a giant banner printed for your booth that says

XXX PD KID PRINT - LOST CHILD
                      Sponsored by (Jones Dodge - Chrysler - Jeep, or The Montana Standard, or Fleming's Gentlemen's Club , or whatever)

If you have a Retired Senior Volunteer Program, these folks are great to help staff a booth of this nature and they relieve you of the burden of taking so many sworn personnnel out of the field.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                        Have people play "can you pass the SFST?" game. Other can watch and get a pretty good laugh.
                        This.

Always good for a laugh and you actually get lots of participants who feel safe in the open public environment doing something "fun" who would be wary of police otherwise. Local "migrant worker" community for example, when it runs at the county fairgrounds here.
                        -------------------------------
                        You can't fix stupid, but you can arrest it. - LINY

"Their house, their rules. And when they get robbed, they can call 911 and ask them to send a hippie to protect them." - ateamer

Comment

A Civil Liability Concern

There is another issue to consider with FSTs. Let's assume you administer one to a fair patron, they fail and then go on their way to (presumably) watch the pig races, ride the tilt-o-whirl, and eat funnel cakes and corn dogs. But instead, the hop in their car and crash while DUI. Even though you had no reason to believe they were about to drive, some a55hat attorney looking for deep pockets will point out that no one goes to the fair to sober up. Instead, he will claim that you knew they were over the limit, that you should have reasonably anticipated they might drive and injure themselves or others as a result of their intoxication, and but for your failure to take appropriate action, none of this would have happened. I would think twice about this scenario before administering FSTs to fair patrons.

If your heart is really set on something DUI related, consider contacting the most popular radio DJs in your area and see if they want to do a live broadcast from your booth. During the broadcast you administer alcoholic beverages and get them drunk, while also administering them FSTs, demonstrating their gradual impairment. Listeners will come to the fair (and your booth) to watch them get drunk and act sillier than they normally are and will listen on the radio, making it a win-win for your department, the DJs, their station and the fair. There are a couple of considerations to be aware of for this type of program. First, your agency will be responsible for picking up the DJs at their homes and delivering them back. Given their intoxicated state at the end, you cannot entrust this to a third party who might bend to pressure and let them drive. Second, you need to screen the DJs for any unusual personality quirks that might emerge while they are intoxicated. We did this once for a semi private event using our officers instead of public personalities. Once several of our females officers were well under the influence, they started making out with each other. Fortunately, we had a very broadminded audience and the whole thing blew over.

You may also want to check with your Highway Patrol or State Police (whichever you have) and see if they have a rollover simulator you can borrow. It is usually an old truck cab with the windows rolled down, attached to a cement mixer motor like a piece of meat on a BBQ spit. A dummy is put inside but not seat belted in. The motor is started, the cab spins and the dummy is thrown out the window and crushed under the cab, demonstrating why wearing seatbelts is important.

Personally, I still think you will get better mileage out of Kid Print & Lost Child.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                            There is another issue to consider with FSTs. Let's assume you administer one to a fair patron, they fail and then go on their way to (presumably) watch the pig races, ride the tilt-o-whirl, and eat funnel cakes and corn dogs. But instead, the hop in their car and crash while DUI. Even though you had no reason to believe they were about to drive, some a55hat attorney looking for deep pockets will point out that no one goes to the fair to sober up. Instead, he will claim that you knew they were over the limit, that you should have reasonably anticipated they might drive and injure themselves or others as a result of their intoxication, and but for your failure to take appropriate action, none of this would have happened. I would think twice about this scenario before administering FSTs to fair patrons.
                            I was thinking the same thing, and then I read your post. You know what they say......great minds....... mine isn't one of them

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                            Once several of our females officers were well under the influence, they started making out with each other.
                            I'll need you to post the pics

Comment

Originally posted by phillydog07 View Post
                              I'll need you to post the pics
                              While it is burned in my mind forever, words cannot adequately describe the munificent exchange of tender joy and caring that was demonstrated that day. If it had been at the fair, we could have sold tickets over in the carnival section.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5270 users online. 285 members and 4985 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X