300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bait Car and Entrapment question

A friend posted on her facebook page a bit ago about the show called Bait Cars, she set her status to, "is confused. I don't understand how that show Bait Car isn't entrapment.. ???"

I replied back what I thought, which hey, we didn't ask them to take the car and steal it, but thought I would ask to see what you all thought about this.

I think the program is a great program.... We don't have anything like it around here but wish our budget would allow for this.

WHEN I START MY TOUR OF DUTY, GOD, WHEREVER CRIME MAY BE, AS I WALK THE DARKENED STREETS ALONE, LET ME BE CLOSE TO THEE. PLEASE GIVE ME UNDERSTANDING, WITH BOTH YOUNG AND OLD, LET ME LISTEN WITH ATTENTION, UNTIL THEIR STORY’S TOLD. LET ME NEVER MAKE A JUDGEMENT, IN A RASH OR CALLOUS WAY, BUT LET ME HOLD MY PATIENCE, LET EACH MAN HAVE HIS SAY. LORD, IF SOME DARK AND DREARY NIGHT, I MUST GIVE MY LIFE, LORD WITH YOUR EVERLASTING LOVE, PROTECT THE LOVED ONES IN MY LIFE.

People always yell entrapment for stuff like this, but that's just because they are ignorant. I think it's a great program and an amusing show. Leaving a car on the street with the keys in it or ignition running doesn't give anyone permission to take it.

Comment

Sec. 8.06. ENTRAPMENT. (a) It is a defense to prosecution that the actor engaged in the conduct charged because he was induced to do so by a law enforcement agent using persuasion or other means likely to cause persons to commit the offense. Conduct merely affording a person an opportunity to commit an offense does not constitute entrapment.

Now with that posted.........Just leaving an unlocked car with keys inside on the side of the road or in a parking lot doesn't give someone permission to steal the car. It is simply affording a would-be criminal the opportunity to steal the car. Now, it becomes entrapment when an undercover officer or informant at the direction of an officer, seeks out would-be suspects and says that their is a car with the keys inside and they should go take it for a spin.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTex44 View Post
        Sec. 8.06. ENTRAPMENT. (a) It is a defense to prosecution that the actor engaged in the conduct charged because he was induced to do so by a law enforcement agent using persuasion or other means likely to cause persons to commit the offense. Conduct merely affording a person an opportunity to commit an offense does not constitute entrapment.
        Great information.

Nationwide in the US in 2005, there were an estimated 1.2 million motor vehicle thefts, or approximately 416.7 motor vehicles stolen for every 100,000 inhabitants. Property losses due to motor vehicle theft in 2005 were estimated at $7.6 billion.

Thieves violate the liberty of their fellow man when they steal what someone else worked hard to pay for. I could personally care less if they were shot on site.

Comment

"They used to hang horse thieves!!"
          Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGmigvetiYU
            Life is what you make of it

Comment

Please take 2 minutes and educate your friend on "google". Explain the few minutes she spends on google will keep her from looking like an idiot, compared to the 10 seconds on "updated status"
              Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

Comment

Unless the cops told the person to get in the car and leave then there is no entrapment.

Comment

Entrapment laws are actually different per state.

Comment

The show is stupid and so if your friend.

Comment

Entrapment is very, very difficult to prove. It has to be pretty outrageous conduct on the part of the LEO. For example, if you approach a trucker with a U/C whom you have zero evidence has ever been involved with drugs and offer him $10 million to move a drug load and he does it, he might have an entrapment defense.
                      Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Is it not considered 'entrapment' in some states to have female officers working undercover as prostitutes who "entice" male customers to solicit them?

That is completely different from busting existing prostitutes in action, though.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Is it not considered 'entrapment' in some states to have female officers working undercover as prostitutes who "entice" male customers to solicit them?

That is completely different from busting existing prostitutes in action, though.
                          Absolutely NOT! I will not give away how she can get around the entrapment when acting undercover as a street level prostitute. I will say its not entrapment : )
                          Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "ahhrgh"? -Danny Butterman

"I'm sure finding that 11mm wrench at the last minute to fix the flux capacitor or whatever gets those guys out of bed in the morning is probably just as much of an adrenaline shot as blowing over a ton of C4 at one time" - CruiserClass

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

I've never worked a prostitution sting, but I would imagine that they are usually set up in areas known for prostitution activity. The john's presence in said area would be evidence of their propensity to solicit a prostitute. If the U/C walked into an office building and started propositioning all the men working there, that would probably fit the bill as entrapment.

Also, as stated, the specifics of the encounter matter a great deal. A good U/C probably knows how to make sure she is the one being approached first.
                            Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Now if only they would attach a hose to the tailpipe to the interior they would save a lot on trial costs as well.
                              This Space For Rent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5329 users online. 377 members and 4952 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X