300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granny has to wear ankle bracelet for selling goldfish

OK, it's jolly ole England but this may be a bit over the top (where is Munlaw when we need him?).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-criminal.html

Pet shop owner Joan Higgins yesterday, with the tag on her ankle. She must wear it for two months after selling a goldfish to a 14-year-old boy

She was fitted with the electronic tag on Tuesday night and was yesterday trying to get used to the device which will be strapped to her left ankle for almost two months.

Last night Mrs Higgins said she wanted to put the nightmare behind her and would not be appealing the case.

'It has been a dreadful time for the family,' she said. 'I will wear this tag and put up with the punishment but I will not be forced out of business.

'I am an animal lover and I do a lot within animal welfare circles and will continue to do so.'

The mother-of-two added: 'I think it is an absolute disgrace that I have to wear something like this. It makes it look like I am a dangerous criminal.

'I thought these things were designed to stop drug dealers, muggers, burglars and thieves - not great-grandmothers. I simply don't understand it.'

Trafford council carried out an undercover operation last July to discover whether Majors Pet Shop in Sale was selling to children.

They sent the 14-year-old boy into the shop and Mrs Higgins's son Mark, 47, sold him the goldfish without questioning his age or providing information about the care of the fish.

A council officer in the shop at the time also noticed a cockatiel in a cage in poor health. A vet found the bird had a broken leg and eye problems. It was later put down.

Mrs Higgins and her son were charged with selling an animal to someone under 16 and causing unnecessary suffering to a cockatiel.

Originally posted by JasperST View Post
    Mrs Higgins and her son were charged with selling an animal to someone under 16 and causing unnecessary suffering to a cockatiel.
    is that....a REAL law? not just cruelty to animals?

well, they sure are detailed over there

Comment

Originally posted by cummins View Post

Seems a bit subjective. Which is probably the intent, that way they rule at their whim. The bracelet must be for humiliation purposes, probably considered too cruel to put on an animal.

Comment

When goldfish are outlawed, only outlaws will have.........

Oh, never mind.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Nice spin, I notice that they tack on that animal cruelity at the end. I thought that this was a story of the great-grandmother selling a fish to a 14 year-old not a story about her not caring for the animals.
          That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

Originally posted by cummins View Post

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/ca...ephant&hits=20

The Brits a soft on birds, and California is soft on Elephants.

California Penal Code:

596.5. It shall be a misdemeanor for any owner or manager of an
            elephant to engage in abusive behavior towards the elephant, which
            behavior shall include the discipline of the elephant by any of the
            following methods:
            (a) Deprivation of food, water, or rest.
            (b) Use of electricity.
            (c) Physical punishment resulting in damage, scarring, or breakage
            of skin.
            (d) Insertion of any instrument into any bodily orifice.
            (e) Use of martingales.
            (f) Use of block and tackle.

Never mind the elements and penalties are exactly the same as the generic animal cruelty, they had to go and write a duplicate law.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
            - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheZ71 View Post
              Nice spin, I notice that they tack on that animal cruelity at the end. I thought that this was a story of the great-grandmother selling a fish to a 14 year-old not a story about her not caring for the animals.
              +1

Would have saved some reading if they would have put the part about the bird in first

Comment

The main problem was the selling of the goldfish to a minor. She was set up because she sold a gerbil to a "mentally challenged" minor that dunked it in some coffee. Apparently, the gerbil did not run on high test.

Comment

Reminds me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE
                  sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5671 users online. 314 members and 5357 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X