Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -GA Bill 1047, $75 fine on left lane bandits-

http://www.politicsandcars.com/blog/...hcare-speed-up

Healthcare Schmealthcare - Time To Speed Up!

By Jonathan Vaughn
    March 23rd, 2010

Unless you've been living under a large rock that does not yet have its very own cave-mounted television broadcasting any one of the billions of news networks, you may have noticed that the news lately has been a little preoccupied with the healthcare debate. When we're not talking about the U.S. Congress and its handling of healthcare, were talking about the states' various attempts (or lack thereof) to respond. In a time of great upheaval and rabid partisanship across this great land, some of us are left wondering if there will ever be an issue that will be able to bring us all together again.
    Georgia seems to have the answer: Punishing people for driving too slowly in the fast lane.

In a world where Democrats, Republicans, and Independents cannot seem to agree on what an inalienable human right is, who should pay for these rights, or what sort of beverage to sip while wailing and gnashing their teeth at the thought of the government having anything to do with rights in the first place, the one issue that’s truly bothering all of us is finally gaining traction.

Georgia House Bill 1047, which proposes levying a fine of up to $75 on people holding traffic up by driving below the speed limit in the far left lane, gained bipartisan support (you know, the thing where people agree with each other about stuff. Oh, just look it up in a history book) on Monday. For in this time of rancorous strife and bitter animosity, Georgia reminds us that there really is change that we can all believe in. Or at least change that all of us who happen to be late for work can believe in.
    Best traffic bill in decades!

I can't wait to see how fast people part the seas for GSP cruisers tearing out after one of these bewildered drivers.

booyah!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Possibly the dumbest thing i've ever seen. Yeah lets go and punish people for driving the speed limit as opposed to the nutjobs knowingly and deliberately driving well above it. Brilliant. As long as they're driving within the legal limit and passing other cars, since they're in the goddamn PASSING LANE (no idea what the hell a "fast lane" is, sounds more like a perk at an amusement park than a made up justification for speeding like a retard). Absolutely ridiculous that this joke of a bill would even be up for a vote.

Comment

Originally posted by MetsDevilsfan View Post
        Possibly the dumbest thing i've ever seen. Yeah lets go and punish people for driving the speed limit as opposed to the nutjobs knowingly and deliberately driving well above it. Brilliant. As long as they're driving within the legal limit and passing other cars, since they're in the goddamn PASSING LANE (no idea what the hell a "fast lane" is, sounds more like a perk at an amusement park than a made up justification for speeding like a retard). Absolutely ridiculous that this joke of a bill would even be up for a vote.
        Have you ever driven in Atlanta? The speed limit on 285 is 55mph; the average speed when traffic is flowing easily approaches 75.

Here is a video of what happened when 4 college students drove side by side occupying all lanes at the speed limit.

http://www.fugly.com/videos/5358/a_m...eed_limit.html

Comment

I like this bill! Wanna drive below the limit, then move over to the right lanes!
          Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by blargh
            I recall reading that people driving slower than traffic cause more accidents than people driving faster than traffic.

It's not about driving slower than traffic it's about driving under the speed limit. So basically what this is saying is that if the speed limit is 55 if you're driving in the passing lane then you better damn well be driving at exactly 55 mph then?? 54 gets you that ridiculous ticket and 56 you're above the speed limit which would technically be wrong in the eyes of the law irregardless if any officer would ever dare to pull someone over for that. If "traffic" is going at 75 everyone can have a fun time manuevering around in the left lane(passing lane) while getting around my 55mph moving *** chugging along in the right lane.

Comment

Originally posted by MetsDevilsfan View Post
              Are you really from NJ? I haven't lived there in 10 years, but the left lane was always called the 'fast lane' there...

oh and reading comprehension...."below" the speed limit...

Georgia House Bill 1047, which proposes levying a fine of up to $75 on people holding traffic up by driving below the speed limit in the far left lane,
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
              and I'm not sure about the former.
              -Albert Einstein

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                Have you ever driven in Atlanta? The speed limit on 285 is 55mph; the average speed when traffic is flowing easily approaches 75.

Here is a video of what happened when 4 college students drove side by side occupying all lanes at the speed limit.

http://www.fugly.com/videos/5358/a_m...eed_limit.html

I've seen that video. Was very stupid but amusing nonetheless lol. Never driven in Atlanta. However, i've driven the congested crap of north Jersey and NY for many years now. Had many an interesting experience. However, with that said i am 23 years old with zero tickets(never even been pulled over in my life), zero accidents(even with driving to the 5 Boroughs often). However, because of other idiots my age my car insurance gets to be higher than it should be and will take longer to go down. It was actually funny when i talked to a Geico rep when i was switching my insurance a couple months ago and he was saying he's never seen a guy my age and location with no tickets or accidents before and how he was surprised by it. That was a fun convo.

If someone wants to drive like an idiot than by all means they can go ahead and waste their gas and screw up their fuel consumption, it's no skin off my nose. It's amusing to me how when i'm on the highway i always put my car in cruise control at approximately 54-56 mph. Everyone passes me, by alot too. It's incredible to me. Just merging to the left for left lane exits is a bitch, god forbid i want to get off an exit not going a million miles an hour. At any rate i'll continue to save my money on gas while the idiots in the left lane can get to where they're going WHOLE MINUTES sooner than me while risking tickets(thus raising insurance) and increased chance of accidents by not slowing the fck down.

This bill is ridiculous and if it passes i have zero doubt it will be screwing good drivers over.
                Last edited by MetsDevilsfan; 03-25-2010, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by icecoldblueyes View Post
                  Are you really from NJ? I haven't lived there in 10 years, but the left lane was always called the 'fast lane' there...

oh and reading comprehension...."below" the speed limit...

As big a NJ guy as you'll ever find(even though i'm looking out of state... go figure lol). I'm aware of what it's called i was being sarcastic obviously. As to the reading comprehension part, i'm not quite sure what the problem is? Last time i checked the speed limit wasn't a minimum or a suggestion but was a LIMIT for how fast a car should go. Can get some leeway for going a few mph over sure, but you drive over it you assume the consequences. I don't drive over so i don't need to worry about that and i don't, which makes this bill all the more atrocious to me.

Comment

It’s already against the law to “drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.” House Bill 1047 simply adds a potential fine.

The bill passed the House 129-29 and moves to the Senate for consideration.

This wasn't even close.

Safety is the number one priority of traffic enforcement
                    If "traffic" is going at 75 everyone can have a fun time manuevering around in the left lane(passing lane) while getting around my 55mph moving *** chugging along in the right lane."
                    What about that sounds safe to you? You're more concerned with the rules than the outcome.
                    Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 03-25-2010, 03:19 AM. Reason: nicer version

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                      It’s already against the law to “drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.” House Bill 1047 simply adds a potential fine.

The bill passed the House 129-29 and moves to the Senate for consideration.

This wasn't even close.

Safety is the number one priority of traffic enforcement

What about that sounds safe to you? You're more concerned with the rules than the outcome.

I've got a feeling the kids were pretty hard on you in back in high school...

I really wish we could have an in person convo, i have no doubt it would be alot of fun as i'm a very laid back guy with a good sense of humor and you are cracking me up right now. Up until around late in my freshman year of college(April-ish 06) i used to be a bad driver. I used to drive wayyyy over the speed limit. However, after seeing what i was doing to my car and realizing what was needed to correct that in the span of a couple drives from home to school and back i completely changed my driving around. It really was not that difficult it was just a different way of viewing how i drove actually.

I get tons of **** for my driving NOW(apparently obeying the rules of the road and driving safely and arriving at a destination in one piece is a bad thing now) but out of everyone i know i'm a) only one with no tickets/ never been pulled over b) no accidents. I was fortunate senior year in high school/frosh year of college nothing happened with my crappy driving at that time. Now if me driving at such a slow speed, which in this case would be AT THE SPEED LIMIT gets me this ridiculous fine, then i will gladly take that ticket and have a field day in court while doing cartwheels and flips. Maybe the speed limits need touching up. Again, it's not my goddamn problem if someone wants to go over the speed limit. I will chug along and be perfectly happy not wasting my money and time on traffic tickets and other such inconveniences. You stay in the left lane, i'll stay in the right.

Comment

Double post sorry... that's not a fine yet is it?

Comment

I wish they would do that in California...
                          "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

User Banned
                            Last edited by Nobody; 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                              IMO (and experience) people 'cruising' in the passing/fast lane is a major cause of road rage and accidents (because passing drivers are forced to pass to the right).

i used the "impeding the flow" law quite often for these drivers....but generally issued a warning (our #1 rule in traffic enforcement was to "gain voluntary compliance" not issue tickets or make arrests)

great idea - hope it extends to all 50 states soon, should alleviate much rage out there and get traffic flowing.

Now if people would just learn and follow the 'rules of the road' we wouldn't need this law.
                              +1
                              “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11120 users online. 400 members and 10720 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X