X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jane Q Public
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2008

Witness/Offender wants to go door-to-door

CINCINNATI (CN) - A Jehovah's Witness who was convicted of felony attempted sexual abuse has sued the State of Ohio, claiming it unconstitutionally prohibits him from practicing his religion by proselytizing door-to-door more than once a month.

Lawrence Bullard says he should be allowed to proselytize door-to-door twice a week with other Witnesses, as their religion requires. He says he's an exceedingly low risk to re-offend, and the circumstances prove it.
    Full article here.

I don't know--I'd be pretty creeped out by a guy like that showing up at my doorstep. Or maybe that's just me. I'd sure want a whole lot more protection built in than simply taking him at his word, but then again maybe the problem is allowing him to do that door-to-door thing at all.
    Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. --Mark Twain
  • BCSD Frank
    Resident Misanthrope
    • Dec 2009

That's why, when strangers knock on my door, I answer it with the .45 on my hip.

I was being constantly bugged by Mormon missionaries -- A phone call to their church, asking to speak to whomever was in charge of their mission work, and asking to be removed from their list of visits put an end to the matter.

I was also being constantly bugged by the Jehovah's Witnesses, until I erected a 40' flagpole in my front yard, from which I proudly fly the American flag, and the white US Army flag. (And occasionally, just to annoy the neighbors, I hoist the Jolly Roger)

The neighbors AND the Jehovah's Witnesses now take care to avoid my house.
    Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

• PhilipCal
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2004

What's amazing is that this subject is allowed to go door to door to all. Certainly, the perfect world wonks will label this a "religious freedon" issue. It isn't. It's a community safety issue across the board.

Comment

• ComicGuy
        Just gettin' along mostly
        • Mar 2008

Some scumbags say that its part of their 'religion' to hump little boys; society doesn't let that happen, and this guy needs to be put to sleep or something.
        sigpic
        Don't make me gassy.
        You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

• ComicGuy
          Just gettin' along mostly
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by BCSD Frank
          The neighbors AND the Jehovah's Witnesses now take care to avoid my house.
          HA!
          *cough*
          sigpic
          Don't make me gassy.
          You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

• VA Dutch
            Former Deputy Sheriff
            • Feb 2006

I don't have much trouble with the Jehovah's Witnesses around here; but the easiest way to dispatch them is to hand them a copy of the US Constitution or give them a little US Flag.

As for the Mormons, they've gotta be the cleanest-looking chaps around - and you gotta love how they get around on those little bicycles. However, they don't do caffeine, tobacco or alcohol - which leaves out 99% of the rest of us.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

• mikeymedic
              Band-aid jockey
              • May 2008

This is the stupidest argument ever. I'd tell him it is a safety issue and to go pound sand on the whole religious issue.

Comment

• BCSD Frank
                Resident Misanthrope
                • Dec 2009

"Brother, have you found Jesus?"

*shick-shick!* "Sure. Wanna' meet him?"

Comment

• BCSD Frank
                  Resident Misanthrope
                  • Dec 2009

Hahahahahaha....

Comment

• L-1
                    • Jun 2004

I just tell the local church folk, "No thank you, we already have a God and are not in the market for a new one." For some reason it confuses them and they go away.

Someone else on this forum was saying they always ask to hold the caller's bible. When they get it, they begin to scream that the bible is burning their hands and thrust it back to the visitors. Then they excuse themselves saying they have to get ointment for their hands and close the door.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• BCSD Frank
                      Resident Misanthrope
                      • Dec 2009

Castle Doctrine. That's why I answer the door with the .45 on my hip.

Of course, given the kind of rotten bastard that I am, I would likely open the door just a couple of inches, and then slam it shut, really damn hard, right on their foot.

Comment

• jannino
                        Forum Member
                        • Feb 2007

I would actually love to sit down and have one of these people share some of their stories of dealing with people.... I bet some are just hilarious.

Try seeing the reaction of two female witnesses when you open the door naked... priceless.

I have to stone pillars at my driveway entrance with both of them having a no soliciting sign... I don't really live in a neighborhood so I don't see them often now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12334 users online. 76 members and 12258 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...