300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to deal with a know it all rookie

We have a new guy at work, his back ground is military reserve. Hes a nice enough guy, but he is also seriously eat up with it. You can't tell him anything, he knows it all, wants to write everyone and everything a ticket, and is realllly becoming annoying when he starts questioning what I or another senior officer have done. I'm pretty laid back. I've tried to talk to him and explain things, other guys have been a bit more blunt. I'm about to drop the hammer on him. Some of the stuff hes doing is getting dangerous. Stopping cars and not calling it in (haven't caught him doing that but I know from others its happened), and another recent event, several officers were searching a building. Hes ordered to hold the hallway while they clear the room, and he ignores it, goes off on his own, and abandoned the other officers. When they confronted him about it, he responded " You do what you have to do".

I've tried nice, they've tried angry, I'm thinking of reporting him.

Suggestions?

Example,
    "Life is not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward"- Rocky Balboa

Black Labs Matter!

We have a new guy at work, his back ground is military reserve. Hes a nice enough guy, but he is also seriously eat up with it. You can't tell him anything, he knows it all, wants to write everyone and everything a ticket, and is realllly becoming annoying when he starts questioning what I or another senior officer have done. I'm pretty laid back. I've tried to talk to him and explain things, other guys have been a bit more blunt. I'm about to drop the hammer on him. Some of the stuff hes doing is getting dangerous. Stopping cars and not calling it in (haven't caught him doing that but I know from others its happened), and another recent event, several officers were searching a building. Hes ordered to hold the hallway while they clear the room, and he ignores it, goes off on his own, and abandoned the other officers. When they confronted him about it, he responded " You do what you have to do".

Suggestions?

Example,
    WOW- He is going to get someone killed. I would report his *** if I were you.
    I'm laid back as well, but when I snap it's bad. I don't want to see you in trouble because you snap. Good Luck
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

As a reserve deputy and a rookie myself, I would never think of acting like this. I would definitely report him. Sounds like the chief needs to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with this guy...
      Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Interceptor View Post

Suggestions?

Example,
        He sounds like a danger to you, himself, and others. Hey, don't feel bad if you talk to one of the bosses about him. You have told him the issues and that is all you can be expected to do. And, if he gets someone else or himself hurt or killed, you are gonna feel pretty crappy. Hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Yeah, time for you and your shift to have " a come to Jesus" meeting with him and or take it up the Chain of Command.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Let him get eaten up by the bad guys. Once his *** is kicked, he will lose the attitude. Sometimes you just have to step back and let it happen. A good bitch slap in the beginning may change him before he gets popped. Or, man up and tell him that he is being stupid, refer him to the Supervisor, and get him some remedial training.

Or...just give him a blanket party in the locker room and tell him "you do what you have to do"...
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

If you can't address it with him then its time to bring it to a supervisor's attention. Just regular run-of-the-mill ignorance will either shake out or push him into a new career path, but officer safety issues can't be ignored. If he's willfully blowing that off, time to take it to the next level.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Interceptor View Post
                I'm about to drop the hammer on him. Some of the stuff hes doing is getting dangerous.
                And how long has this been going on? Are you his immediate supervisor? Is he in violation of Department P&P?
                Surely you are documenting each occurence. You stated that "stuff he's doing is getting dangerous", do you feel like your safety and the safety of others are being compromised?
                If you do nothing other than submit a letter to your Supervisor detailing the antics of this rookie, do it. At least it will be properly brought to the attention of your chain of command and should absolve you of any "liability".

Documentation, documentation, documentation

Remember the old saying "If it's not on paper, it didn't happen".

Comment

Running off on his own after being told to cover a hall is a very serious officer's safety issue. The excuse of "You gotta do what you gotta do." Would not cut it for me if I was in those officer's position. There sure as hell should have been a good excuse to ignore an order and put the rest of your officers in danger by running off.

At that point, I would bring it up to the chain of command. It's one thing to be a smartass, but it's a completely new ball game when you start putting other's safety at risk.

Comment

The Squeaky Wheel Gets Replaced

Your shift needs to have a private meeting with your supervisor and lay out the problem. However, there is nothing a sergeant hates more than a general urinating session, so instead, have all your ducks in a row.

When you go in, the shift needs to have a typed list together of every questionable incident. Include the date, time, location, what the officer did wrong, who witnessed it and most importantly, what you guys did to try and correct it and what the problem officer's negative response was.

This will show that you did not turn a blind eye to poor performance, that you tried to assist the rookie with his shortcomings, that he did not accept corrective criticism with a positive attitude and that he rejected attempts at remediation from his peers. In short, you will have laid solid groundwork for your department to dump him if they feel that is necessary.

More importantly, the department will appreciate it because it came from the officers themselves, indicating that you keep a clean house and do not tolerate poor performance.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Is wash boarding legal in your state? lol

Seriously, tell him the truth, report him, and then avoid him! He sounds like train going to crash. I would not want to be near him when he crashes.
                      LIVING TO LAUGH

NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT TODAY, NOTHING NEW, IT'S JUST WHAT WE DO

Comment

What I woulld do is ask him nicely if he likes apples.

Then I would punch him in the sack and say.

"How do you like dem apples."

Won't solve anything but it is always good for a laugh.

I am in the middle of something now and will come back with a serious reply later.

Comment

Grab him by the scruff of the neck, drag him before a computer, and make him read this thread. Let him know in no uncertain terms he is acting like a turd. If that's the way he wants to be he can go lay in the yard like one. If he wants to be a true street cop then he needs to join the team and act like a team player. If he still don't get it; grab him by the scruff of the neck again, drag him down the hall to the sergeants office, throw his *** in a chair and let the sergeant know nobody will hit the streets with this turd out there.
                          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

ffffffht tp://forums.officer.com/forums/shofvbsad.php?p=2134544#post2134544
                            Last edited by Nobody; 03-12-2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

You and another guy take him out back punch him in the gut one good time and have a no **** sit down talk about how it's gonna be but do it out of love. If he was in the Army then he will then "get it" and if he is any kind of man then he won't tell. If he does turn you in who cares, you may get one day and he will get a talking to by the leadership but at least he will know where he stands.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11419 users online. 398 members and 11021 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X