300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another VA Execution Coming

Looks like Ole Sparky's gonna be warmed up again pretty soon in the Old Dominion. And this moron was off the death penalty hook until he wrote the prosecutor.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1872609

US Supreme Court clears way for Virginia execution
    January 25, 2010 - 3:09pm

By LARRY O'DELL
    Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - The U.S. Supreme Court refused Monday to hear the appeal of a convicted killer and rapist whose taunting letter detailing the crimes to a Virginia prosecutor led to a second trial and helped put him on death row.

The decision clears the way for the execution of Paul Warner Powell, 31, who was convicted of killing 16-year-old Stacie Reed and raping her 14-year-old sister, Kristie, in their Manassas home in 1999.

The high court temporarily delayed Powell's execution in July to consider whether to hear his claim that he was unconstitutionally tried twice for the same crime. The justices did not comment on their reasons for rejecting the appeal.

"I'm hopeful this is the last legal chapter in the long history of this case," said Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert, who prosecuted Powell. "The survivors _ Stacie's mother and Kristie _ have really been traumatized by delay after delay. Hopefully they're going to get some peace and closure after all these years."

Powell's attorney, Jonathan Sheldon, was not immediately available for comment.

Powell was convicted in 2000 of killing Stacie Reed and raping and attempting to kill Kristie. Powell and Stacie Reed were acquaintances. The Virginia Supreme Court overturned the verdict, saying Powell couldn't get the death penalty because he did not rape or rob Stacie or commit other death-qualifying offenses.

Thinking he could no longer face the death penalty, Powell then wrote a profanity-laced letter to Ebert graphically detailing Stacie's slaying. What an idiot!

Powell, who is white and a self-avowed racist, wrote that he went to Stacie's house to talk to her about her black boyfriend, pinned her down and threatened to rape her, then stabbed her in the heart when she fought back. He then went downstairs, had a cigarette and some iced tea, and waited for Kristie to get home from school.

"Do you just hate yourself for being so stupid and for (messing) up and saving me?" he wrote to Ebert in 2001.

Ebert withdrew the first indictment and charged Powell with killing and attempting to rape Stacie _ a capital crime. Powell was convicted again in 2003 and sent to death row.

The Associated Press doesn't usually identify sexual assault victims, but Kristie Reed gave permission for her name to be used.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

good, good, when are we set for the execution though?

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
      good, good, when are we set for the execution though?
      I'll bet it's not too long....this is Virginia don't forget. I'm going to say no later than March this year.
      sigpic

Comment

We don't have Tim "The Taxman" Kaine in the way anymore to delay the execution. Yay!

We don't use "Old Sparky" anymore, right? I think lethal injection is now the way to go. I hope they use a sterile needle, as we would not want him to get an infection. LOL!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

We don't have Tim "The Taxman" Kaine in the way anymore to delay the execution. Yay!

We don't use "Old Sparky" anymore, right? I think lethal injection is now the way to go. I hope they use a sterile needle, as we would not want him to get an infection. LOL!
          They have a choice now.....Larry Bill Elliott took the "ride" on Nov. 17, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by blargh
            Sorta off topic, but why don't we just shoot them in the head? Seems like it's the cheapest and most humane way to end a life... And you can be relatively sure it'll work the first time through.
            And while we're off topic, I gotta say a step ladder, length of rope, 2 X 4 by 3 ft and a 50 pound bag of flour might come in handy for your new avatar picture. And don't forget to notify the rangers of your expected departure and return time.

Comment

At least some states in the Union still believe in Justice.

Comment

I love my state.

Comment

A B-B-Q, any excuse to drag out the Sweet Baby Rays is a good one, now I'm in the mood for somm baby backs!

Comment

Virginia's really been at it with the executions lately.

Comment

Originally posted by HurricaneDC View Post
                      Virginia's really been at it with the executions lately.
                      And I think it's only going to pick up more with McDonnell in office.

Comment

Originally posted by blargh
                        Sorta off topic, but why don't we just shoot them in the head? Seems like it's the cheapest and most humane way to end a life... And you can be relatively sure it'll work the first time through.
                        Because it would require a hazmat clean-up.
                        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

how is shooting some one in the head more humane than a lethal injection...that knocks you out? what if you shot them in the head and they didnt die? now your in pain and have to shoot again...personally if you did good enough to get in that position, i dont care if you suffer or not...just commenting on that being more "humane"
                          dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

How about using this? Quick and efficient:

sigpic

Comment

Virginia should send California some "cliff-notes" on the Death Penalty.
                              America, Land of the Free because of the Brave

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4565 users online. 284 members and 4281 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X