300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Want To Be A Cop?

I have one last question on my application, and guess what it is? Exactly what the title is. I know why I want to be an LEO, But my LEO friends that are trying to help me get into there Dept. say not say to Serve and Protect and not to be like every other application. Gentlemen I would like some kind of help and some kind of Insight. I have wanted this job with this agency longer than I can imagine and this could be the one. Guys I would appreciate any help out there possible. Thank you very much in advance, I need to overnight this application tomorrow.

First, not to be rude..but why are you only looking for advice from men?

Second, be true to yourself and answer the question honestly, there is no reason you should fabricate anything to try and get the position...that shows a lacking in integrity.

Thirdly, re-read your question and you have your answer plain-as-day in it; just elaborate when using this response as to WHY this specific agency, etc.
    Sky above me, Earth below me.... FIRE inside me

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock. -Squirrel

so you feel like confucious just jumped out of your stale dessert and bestowed infinite wisdom upon you and your grease-filled tummy. - Evan

Comment

Very true, I will not disagree. That's not rude at all you have to be thick skinned and be able to take criticism. Thank you, maybe I just needed that comment to help me focus on the true reason instead of the BS reason. Thanks again ill be finishing the app now. Appreciate the Tip, Thank you.

Comment

KSU that was exactly what I was thinking. OP you answered your own question. Now just elaborate on your statement.
        "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

First I am not a LEO. But, I'll offer you some advice that has helped me for similar essays for things like college admissions.

You need to focus on something personal. Is there a pivotal moment in your life that led you to want to be a cop? Did you have a particularly good experience with the police at some point in your life? Why this agency? What can they offer you in terms of being a LEO that the agency down the road can't offer you? What can you offer them that the next applicant on the list can't offer?

There may not be a lot of resources specific to LE, but google search tips for college essays. Many colleges have prompts like "Why do you want to go to this college? These might help you in your application.

EDIT: I agree with the above posters. You have your answer in front of you. You say you've wanted this for longer than you can imagine. Now you need to tell them why. Good luck.
          Last edited by phillydog07; 01-22-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Tampa,
            You're welcome... and I'm glad you can take the advice, rather than thinking it was rude. Also, make sure you PROOF-READ as much as possible, just to make sure you aren't dis-qualified for something as simple as a spelling error. If you need any help with any of the proof-reading, feel free to PM me.
            Sky above me, Earth below me.... FIRE inside me

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock. -Squirrel

so you feel like confucious just jumped out of your stale dessert and bestowed infinite wisdom upon you and your grease-filled tummy. - Evan

Comment

tell them that you're first job choice was batman.....but seeing as it was already taken, and he doesn't actually get paid for it, you went w/ the next closest thing

Comment

All good, Thanks guys and crazy pic phillydog, haha. Keep them coming i dont mind reading on what you all have to say... My brother is LEO but he was in it since 18 and he is 38, Army MP to NYPD. I looked up to him growing up and hearing how he helped people and his stories not negative ones helped me and paved my way to choose this career path. Its not all about the gun, and fancy belt and lights and sirens to me or pay. Yes pay is important to survive but thats honestly all i need to get by. The agency pays 45k and im perfectly fine with that and considering where the agency is i can live off of that comfortably. Guys Sounds like BS but all true.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMPACADEMY21 View Post
                  and crazy pic phillydog, haha.
                  That's actually a picture of me.....I have a "thug criminal" side that most people don't know about.

Real story though is that i found it in a google search. Only a few hours after changing my avatar, I got a PM from a member on here telling me the guy's real name and that he is a frequent flier at the jail he works at. It was pretty cool to hear that, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by phillydog07 View Post
                    That's actually a picture of me.....I have a "thug criminal" side that most people don't know about.

Real story though is that i found it in a google search. Only a few hours after changing my avatar, I got a PM from a member on here telling me the guy's real name and that he is a frequent flier at the jail he works at. It was pretty cool to hear that, actually.
                    I was wondering where that photo came from. I think I'd be laughing to hard to arrest that dude.
                    "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...isit-deal.html

I guess he was in the middle of getting his hair did when he stepped outside to sell some crack and got arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by phillydog07 View Post
                        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...isit-deal.html

I guess he was in the middle of getting his hair did when he stepped outside to sell some crack and got arrested.
                        it will probably end up being the new style in the ghetto

Comment

I'll say this. I never took this job or applied for it because of the "money." In my opinion, no cop on this planet makes enough to deal with the political bs, departmental policy that is pretty much in the GRAY area or the LE "professionals" that monday morning quarterback everything we do. I took this job because I wanted to be a cop. I suggest you be true to yourself and explain the same...

Comment

I think free coffee and hot chicks is a good answer.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                              I think free coffee and hot chicks is a good answer.
                              In the academy some instructors would go around the room and ask why we were there. My reason (to help people) was laughed at and mocked. 10 years later, my answer remains the same.

But we had a guy who shrugged his shoulders, put his hands up in the air and said, "I don't know...to drive fast and carry a gun?" He didn't last long.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3883 users online. 170 members and 3713 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X