300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a Marine in Denver?

I'm a police sergeant in Texas, but a buddy of mine, Scott, is in a bad way in Denver and could really use some info/advice. He's a great guy, trained in computer/admin stuff, but laid off because the field is being decimated because of the recession.

He's 30, an ex-USMC tanker, with service in Desert Storm & Somolia, serious student of martial arts, clean background & credit, and a solid, honest, decent guy.

Anyone know of communications Officer, Corrections Officer, Animal Control Officer jobs in the Denver area? Janitor? Anything?

You would not regret hiring him. He'd be a good worker, and stable and dependable. He was trying to get on with DFD, but the academy was cut back to guys with experience. He's wanting to move into Emergency services, smoke-eater eventually but he'd give an agency two years+ as a janitor just to get back on his feet and make some contacts in the ES field.

A resume/e-mail/phone number is avalible upon requesrt. Any info or advice would be gratefully received.
    Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow; do not walk behind me, for I may not lead; do not walk beside me; in fact, get the hell away from me.

Postal Inspector

FF
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Steven Wright

Comment

Thanks.

But he's looking for something with less lead time in the hiring process; a divorce and hard economic times has left him with limited resorces.
      Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow; do not walk behind me, for I may not lead; do not walk beside me; in fact, get the hell away from me.

Comment

Hope this helps,
        I dont know how it works in Colorado but here if a person is hired as a full timer the department will ussually pay for the academy and pay while in the academy, and many PD's nowadays are looking for PO's with computer expertise.....

http://www.lawenforcementjob.com/

http://www.policeemployment.com/

http://www.911hotjobs.com/firestate/colorado.htm
        May G-d bless you, keep you safe, and always keep you in his loving care

Comment

I passed those on. Right now he's looking for something with a short hiring process, as he needs income. That's why I suggested dispatch or corrections.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Darth Tang:
            I passed those on. Right now he's looking for something with a short hiring process, as he needs income. That's why I suggested dispatch or corrections.

DT, when you're talking about ANY law enforcement job, there is no such thing as a "short hiring process." Both jobs require just as thorough a background investigation.

In dispatch, you have access to numerous databases such as DMV records and criminal histories, records that you wouldn't want just any yay-hoo to have access to. If you and your SWAT team are about to serve a high-risk warrant, would you feel safe knowing there's a dispatcher on duty with a meth-dealing biker-gang boyfriend, and that it might be HIS house you're about to hit?

Smuggling of illegal weapons and drugs INTO correctional facilities is already a problem...what more if the prison guards are of no higher moral caliber than the people on the other side of the bars?

If your friend needs employment ASAP, I would suggest other fields first, then work his way into law enforcement.

Comment

Try checking the city web sites that surround Denver for jobs ( Aurora, Westminster, Arvada, Englewood, Littleton, Thornton, Commerce City, Wheatridge, etc...)

Comment

Darth, ask him if he would consider a job with a fire/security department of a private company. If he would, would he consider moving to Grand Canyon.

If so, PM me with his info, and I'll give him a call. I'll be away from the computer from this evening until either Monday or Tuesday night, but if he would be interested, I should be able to give him a call on Wednesday.
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

Thanks, Don! I'll check.

Sig, by short hiring process, I meant days, not months. In our area, a dispatcher or jailer can go through the entire hiring process in a couple weeks. This guy has had a high security clearance and up until a few months ago was in the state's counter-terror response planning dept, so his background will be no problem at all. After 22+ years, half as a supervisor, and many hours on hiring boasrds and doing backgrounds, I'm aware of how it works, and why.

Comment

Don, PM sent. Thanks!

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Darth Tang:
                      Sig, by short hiring process, I meant days, not months. In our area, a dispatcher or jailer can go through the entire hiring process in a couple weeks.

I can't speak for your own state or Colorado, but I don't know of any California police agency who would hire a dispatcher or custody officer (sworn or unsworn) in a matter of "days." They all require rather strict background checks, particularly for the dispatchers because of their access to CLETS databases.

When I first applied as a dispatcher, from written test (a year after I first applied) to job offer was about 4 months. I was 21 years old at the time, still living with Mom and Dad, and had grown up locally, so my background investigation was fairly simple. I didn't even have any credit cards then.

Don's idea about working private security is a good one. Again I don't know how it would work in Colorado, but in California to be a security guard you only have to take and pass a short course on basic laws of arrest (I think it's only a 2-3 week course).

Oh, and I didn't realize until I reread your original post that you already worked in LE and thus knew the necessity of background checks

[ 05-11-2003, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Sig220Man ]

Comment

Our hiring process for dispatchers, (the county uses the same system for jail staff) is to screen & file apps as they come in (a well-drawn form is essential, as you know).

When an opening crops up, an applicant goes to an initial interview, has a background check, second interview, review board, drug screen & pyske test, medical exam after job is offered, and hired. Takes a couple weeks, tops.

Of course, we're hiring Texans. If I was in Caliban, I would definately be a LOT more careful! [Wink]

Agency size has a lot to do with it, too; smaller agencies usually have a streamlined process, especially since there are vastly fewer applicants. And because you can hire 'known factors' rather than complete strangers.

LEOs, on the other hand, take forever, because we're Civil Service, and have to jump through tons of bureacratic loops. Posting the job opening for 90 days, etc. On the positive side, the 'old boy' influences are completely absent.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4256 users online. 257 members and 3999 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X