Calif. city's police to wear head-mounted cameras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calif. city's police to wear head-mounted cameras

This should be intresting, at $4 million hope it's worth it...I'm sure they can hire new officers w/ that $4 million...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_california_police_cameras

Calif. city's police to wear head-mounted cameras

43 mins ago
    SAN JOSE, Calif. – San Jose police are testing head-mounted cameras to record interactions with the public.

The test using 18 patrol officers comes as citizens' groups criticize the department for too often using force during arrests.

Officers are to turn on the cameras every time they talk with anyone. They download the recordings after every shift.

The cameras are the size of a Bluetooth cell phone earpieces and attach by a headband above the ear.

San Jose is the first major American city to try the devices, made by Arizona-based Taser International. Taser is paying for the experiment, but the price could be high if San Jose equips all 1,400 officers.

Each kit costs $1,700, plus a $99 per officer monthly fee. That's $4 million department-wide each year.

sigpic

Last edited by Sense0Purpose1; 12-19-2009, 11:00 PM.
    sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

i just had a flashback to demolition man...

"greetings and goodwill citizen"
      In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

I'm going to be the cameras will get broken in the fights that frequently get into when they are "using too much force".

Comment

I personally think the cameras are a great idea, I just don't see why the high cost and why the monthly fee per unit to be honest. It does not seem like mounting a small camera would be that expensive

Comment

Originally posted by opencarry View Post
            I personally think the cameras are a great idea, I just don't see why the high cost and why the monthly fee per unit to be honest. It does not seem like mounting a small camera would be that expensive
            You're right! These are a super idea. I think we should equip everyone in the country with one and make it a felony to turn it off. Also GPS tracking should be mandatory.

Think of how much crime we'll prevent!
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Wow, i see a great, positive future in law enforcement ::sarcasm::

Comment

Originally posted by damode1985 View Post
                Wow, i see a great, positive future in law enforcement ::sarcasm::
                agreed, these are a great idea........................

Comment

Figures it would be San Jose or San Francisco. They need to put that money to better use by hiring new officers. Stupid!
                  "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
                  Not Yet Visited: 16
                  Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

Comment

Originally posted by opencarry View Post

It's called making a profit.

Taser isn't in it for fun.

Also, this is a stupid idea.

We hold cops to a higher standard, expect them to uphold the law with the utmost integrity and then say we don't trust you.

Nice.

Comment

Detective pulls gun on snowball fight

wrong thread disregard
                      Last edited by btfp; 12-20-2009, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Soon guys, real soon...

Comment

prepare for the armchair quarterbacking to begin.

Comment

truly a messed up world we live in when i read news like this.
                            Liberalism is a mental disorder!!!

Comment

Why are cops so dead set against it? Is it the belief that even a video that can record the entire event will be unable to tell the whole story? I mean, it seems to me this would be a win win situation for everyone. Accusations against cops can be dealt with by showing the video. Seems like it would cut down on the number of fraudulent complaints, etc.
                              Would you want to wear one all day? Would you want every minute of your life recorded? It is an invasion of one's privacy.

It's a real bad decision probably being made individuals that have never worked a beat. We are still in America right?
                              Why have a Background Investigation, Poly etc?

If anything it will entice more idiots to push the Officer's knowing full well they are on video. It is a win win for an ***hole berating an officer. Where in a normal scenario may just think twice about it. That's my 2 cents
                              Last edited by jcioccke; 12-21-2009, 02:14 PM.
                              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7018 users online. 271 members and 6747 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X