Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the "Buy American" view out there......that poses a dilemma. What type of vehicle is more American, a Toyota assembled here or a Dodge assembled in Mexico? Toyota has factories here in the USA where they employ US workers to build the Camry, Corolla, Tundra and Tacoma. The "all American" Jeep Grand Cherokee & Dodge Ram trucks are hecho en mexico.

The line between 'domestic' and 'import' has grown quite blurry lately.

P.S. Kentucky (where the Camry has been made for years) used to have some marked Camry sedans on the road with their state police troopers. Never saw one myself, but did see a picture of one in an automotive magazine.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

As for the "Buy American" view out there......that poses a dilemma. What type of vehicle is more American, a Toyota assembled here or a Dodge assembled in Mexico? Toyota has factories here in the USA where they employ US workers to build the Camry, Corolla, Tundra and Tacoma. The "all American" Jeep Grand Cherokee & Dodge Ram trucks are hecho en mexico.

P.S. Kentucky (where the Camry has been made for years) used to have some marked Camry sedans on the road with their state police troopers. Never saw one myself, but did see a picture of one in an automotive magazine.
      In America:
      GM: 41 Plants (9 Assembly Plants, 32 Parts Plants)
      http://www.gmdynamic.com/company/gma...acilities/list
      Ford: 29 Plants (12 Assembly Plants, 17 Parts Plants)
      http://media.ford.com/plants.cfm?reg...&make_id=trust
      Toyota: 14 Plants (12 Assembly Plants, 4 Parts Plants - they do a little of both at some plants)
      http://www.toyota.com/about/our_busi...manufacturing/
      Honda: 4 Plants (Their plants do a little of both)
      http://www.ohio.honda.com/manufacturing/index.cfm

I think its pretty clear what's more American. Mind you, all companies will bring in parts from outside the country, but clearly Ford and GM make far more parts in the US, making their cars far more American. Yeah, Toyota has quite a few assembly plants in the US, but that doesn't make the car American made. When you buy a grill and you have to assemble it, that doesn't mean its made in your garage.

Assembly plants, like the one in Kentucky, brings the parts made from different places (mostly overseas) and puts it together. Just like putting the grill together in your garage, that does not mean it's made in Kentucky.

I will say, if you live in an area where there is a Toyota or Honda plant, I have no problem with you buying one of those brands. Its supporting your local economy. However, if you don't, I think it's unpatriotic to not support American made products when you can. Buying foreign made goods amounts to giving away our countries wealth. Buy American.
      Last edited by eaglegrad; 11-15-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegrad View Post
        However, if you don't, I think it's unpatriotic to not support American made products when you can. Buying foreign made goods amounts to giving away our countries wealth. Buy American.
        I think buying whatever car I damn well please is more American than buying an inferior product simply because it is assembled here or if more of the parts are made here.

Besides, as someone else pointed out, you can buy an "American" car assembled foreign and a "foreign" car assembled here, so how do you really know what you are buying. Plus, buying imports helps the government as customs duties are a major source of revenue.
        Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
          I think buying whatever car I damn well please is more American than buying an inferior product simply because it is assembled here or if more of the parts are made here.

Besides, as someone else pointed out, you can buy an "American" car assembled foreign and a "foreign" car assembled here, so how do you really know what you are buying. Plus, buying imports helps the government as customs duties are a major source of revenue.
          Yes, buying whatever you want is very American. But I said buying an American made product is more PATRIOTIC. I didn't say anything about buying foreign cars being un-American. Are you saying that's it's not more patriotic to support more American workers than foreign workers?

I'll reiterate this again. It doesn't matter where the car is assembled. The majority of the parts for the American car companies are made in America, thus making them more American. More American labor and more American hands were used in making the whole of the car. That is not true of the foreign car companies. If you'd like to see where each style of car is assembled, follow the links I provided and click on the assembly plants. You can also see how many parts plants there are, where they are located, and what they produce. If you want to see where an individual car was assembled, you can always look on the sticker under the hood.

Buying American made products will increase government revenue more than importing. More people buy American products= Higher demand for American made products= More Americans going back to work= More income tax revenue for the government + More tax revenue from the money the workers who will put more money back into the economy. The largest percentage of government revenue does come from individual income taxes.
          http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brief...rs/revenue.cfm

Comment

I'll reiterate this again. It doesn't matter where the car is assembled. The majority of the parts for the American car companies are made in America, thus making them more American. More American labor and more American hands were used in making the whole of the car.
            It does matter where the car is assembled because if it is assembled in the U.S. (like many supposed foreign cars) that is Americans doing the work. If it is assembled in a foreign country (like many supposed American cars) that is foreigners doing the work.

You can't just broadly say any car with a Ford, GM or Dodge nameplate must have involved more American workers than any car with a foreign nameplate. If you are really concerned about maximizing the American worker element, you have to look at the individual make and model and find out exactly where the parts came from and where it was assembled.

Personally, I would never buy any GM or Chrysler product due to the bailout money. I give Ford credit for not taking the money, but I have been driving Hondas for my entire adult life and I don't plan on changing. Conversely, every G-ride I've been issued has been either a Ford or a Chrysler and they have all been pieces of crap.
            Last edited by ICEAGENT; 11-15-2009, 09:23 PM.
            Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

It does matter where the car is assembled because if it is assembled in the U.S. (like many supposed foreign cars) that is Americans doing the work. If it is assembled in a foreign country (like many supposed American cars) that is foreigners doing the work.
              Not true. Ford, for example, has 4 cars (sold in America) that are assembled out of the US. Fusion- Hermosillo, Mexico, Edge and Flex- Oakville, Ontario, Crown Vic- St. Thomas, Ontario (I didn't count the cars like the Mercury Milan and Lincoln Town Car with their counterparts, the Fusion and Crown Viv even though they are assembled in the same place). The other 12 are assembled right here in the US. Sure, some of the same cars assembled here are also assembled overseas, but those aren't sold here.

You can't just broadly say any car with a Ford, GM or Dodge nameplate must have involved more American workers than any car with a foreign nameplate. If you are really concerned about maximizing the American worker element, you have to look at the individual make and model and find out exactly where the parts came from and where it was assembled.
              Actually I can, and I provided the links for proof.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

I don't know about the rest of the vehicles you mention, but Dodge Rams are not "hecho en mexico". They are assembled in St. Louis, MO and in a new plant they opened recently in Warren, MI. Now some of the parts may be built or fabricated in Mexico. I just don't know about that.
                Air Force Retiree

HCPD Police Officer

Originally posted by 3102
                There is more than one right answer in most things that we do.

Comment

Not true. Ford, for example, has 4 cars (sold in America) that are assembled out of the US. Fusion- Hermosillo, Mexico, Edge and Flex- Oakville, Ontario, Crown Vic- St. Thomas, Ontario (I didn't count the cars like the Mercury Milan and Lincoln Town Car with their counterparts, the Fusion and Crown Viv even though they are assembled in the same place). The other 12 are assembled right here in the US. Sure, some of the same cars assembled here are also assembled overseas, but those aren't sold here.

Actually I can, and I provided the links for proof.
                  I'm confused, the Fusion is assembled in Mexico, so that means Mexican workers are benefiting from buying the Fusion, right?

Comment

We use the Toyota Camry here in NSW, Australia. Personally I think for a four cylinder they are a great car. The six cylinder Aurion is also used by the Highway Patrol in QLD, Australia, and has 260 odd horsepower.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The difference between an American car company and a foreign manufacturer building cars here is where the profit goes. An American car company all of the profit comes back here. Not so with a foreign company.
                      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
                        I much rather give my $$ to the guy on the line then the CEO who takes home a million dollar severance package when he gets fired. I buy American when I know it lasts. Where were these high quality vehicles 20 or even 10 years ago?
                        I would buy once a quality product is there and has constantly shown its worth. I have owned Fords, Dodges, Chevys, Volkswagons, Toyotas, and Hondas in my lifetime and Honda and Toyota always preformed. The issue isnt taking a model already made its developing one.
                        The quality issue is a thread on its own. My loyalty stands with brands that preform like Cutco knives. Pricey yes but a forever guarantee can't be beat! AWD would be perfect for up here.
                        I am sure that will be your attitude right up until your "high quality" floor mats get stuck under the accelerator and kill you.
                        God drives a turbo Buick!

Comment

Originally posted by OFC Dave Speed View Post
                          I am sure that will be your attitude right up until your "high quality" floor mats get stuck under the accelerator and kill you.
                          At least they came standard and I didn't have to pay extra ........
                          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4835 users online. 260 members and 4575 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X