Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford aims to stay in the LE game.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009111...in-police-cars
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

For those unwilling or unable to click the link:

Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it will produce an all-new purpose-built Police Interceptor specially designed and engineered to replace the Ford Crown Victoria law enforcement vehicle lineup in 2011.

The Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, introduced in the early 1980s, remains the top-selling police sedan despite coming under attack earlier this decade for gas-tank explosions during rear end collisions. In fact, the car commands about 75% of the market segment, according to Ford. Now, Ford plans to discontinue the aging Crown Victoria in 2011.

Through August, Ford has sold 28,458 Crown Victoria’s, a 33% decline compared with last year, according to Autodata Corp. About 90% of Crown Victoria’s sales are to police departments and for other government and municipal uses, Ford sales analyst George Pipas said.

Today, Ford declined to provide the name of the new car it is developing but said it has been working on the vehicle for the past 14 months with its own Police Advisory Board.

Ford said the durability, safety and performance of the new car will exceed the existing Crown Victoria.

Analysts and dealers suggest that the most likely replacement would come from Ford’s full-size car platform which is the same platform that is used for the 2010 Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS full-size sedans.

“I am confident that the next-generation Ford police vehicle will meet the future needs of the law enforcement community and will set the new standard,” Lt. Brian Moran, fleet manager, for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and a member of Ford’s Police Advisory Board, said in a statement.

Ford said the new police car will be offered without interruption when production of the Ford Crown Victoria ends in late 2011.

Ford said today it plans to reveal the new model and provide full vehicle specifications in the first quarter of 2010. However, by 2011, Ford will face increased competition in the segment.

Chrysler Group LLC, General Motors Co. and Connersville, Ind.-based Carbon Motors Corp. all are aggressively pursuing the police car market.

Comment

Ford Cesasing Crown Victoria Production

Isn't the Taurus/500 a front-wheel-drive platform? Even though it is full-sized (by today's standards), I doubt a front-drive police car will be desired by officers outside of the snow belt.

Dodge has the rear-drive Charger and Chevy is bringing an all-new Caprice (rear-drive, of course) to the law enforcement market in 2011......so Ford will be making a mistake if they abandon rear-wheel-drive.

On a side note, does this mean that Ford will be ceasing production of the Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car (on the same platform as the Crown Vic)? Senior citizens everywhere are going to riot!

P.S. The Crown Vic does well for taxicab market also. Ford even offers an 'extended' body package for those fleet buyers who desire some extra rear leg room.
      Last edited by VA Dutch; 11-14-2009, 09:53 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Why dont those Francophiles drive Renaults?
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Seems the big three are all trying to stay off Carbon Motors, not that I feel that they (CM) will be a big player in this game, but I find it funny that we have been bitching and complaining for years on certain things we want in the cars, CM comes along and now it seems that the big three are finally taking our suggestions.
          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

I'd like to see what Toyota would come up with
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
              I'd like to see an American product. I doubt Toyota could build anything that could handle the abuse of day to day patrol and not fall into a million pieces.

Run a Camry or Avalon for 100k miles and run it hard and lets see how well it hold up.

Comment

What is American anymore? Hasn't Ford been sending factories overseas and Toyota moving here? Toyota may develop a LE car different from their models now. I have an Impala which is my home car that I have driven for about 4 years now and it runs superb because I DON'T ABUSE IT. Yes I take it up to 120 mph and yes I make tight turns and P.I.T. people...........
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Our Civil guys use that Fusion.
                  sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

We use a Toyota where I work as our vehicle. Mind you, I only work in private security. However, in the same respect - our vehicle can not even hold up to a simple job as that.

In the mere two and a half year's I've worked in the company our post has gone through two Toyota vehicles. The first one crapped out on us well with in 10,000 miles, and our new one has just recently hit it's 10,000 mark and it's already showing abuse.

The thing is, we do not treat it roughly, either.

I understand it's not made for 'duty' style work atmospheres and more so for just daily home use, but Toyota would have to crank something special out if they would want to get into a law enforcement market. I'm not impressed with their vehicles at all. I know if I was an officer and was issued something from Toyota, I would be very wary about it.

Though, of course, it's always possible, like I said, that they could make something special for the market. Who knows?

Comment

What is American anymore? Hasn't Ford been sending factories overseas and Toyota moving here? Toyota may develop a LE car different from their models now. I have an Impala which is my home car that I have driven for about 4 years now and it runs superb because I DON'T ABUSE IT. Yes I take it up to 120 mph and yes I make tight turns and P.I.T. people...........
                      While it is true that Ford, as well as GM and Chrysler, have moved some of their operations out of the country and overseas, a majority of the vehicle is still made in the U.S. While it is also true that Toyota has moved factories to the U.S., these factories are assembly plants, which means they don't actually make anything here. All the parts are made overseas and then shipped here to be assembled. The American auto companies still employ far more employees than Toyota or Honda. On a side, Ford makes makes cars now that are equal to, and sometimes better than, the quality of other companies.

Also, it's my opinion, that American town's, cities, counties, and states should support American car companies and buy American made vehicles. Maybe if more people bought American made products (when possible) our economy would recover faster. To me, that's patriotic.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post
                        [color=blue]
                        Isn't the Taurus/500 a front-wheel-drive platform?
                        The new Taurus is FWD or AWD.

As far as Toyota, my department is apparently testing hybird Toyotas for patrol. I saw it at the garage awhile back and today saw it on the road. Ech.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegrad View Post
                          Also, it's my opinion, that American town's, cities, counties, and states should support American car companies and buy American made vehicles. Maybe if more people bought American made products (when possible) our economy would recover faster. To me, that's patriotic.
                          I much rather give my $$ to the guy on the line then the CEO who takes home a million dollar severance package when he gets fired. I buy American when I know it lasts. Where were these high quality vehicles 20 or even 10 years ago?
                          I would buy once a quality product is there and has constantly shown its worth. I have owned Fords, Dodges, Chevys, Volkswagons, Toyotas, and Hondas in my lifetime and Honda and Toyota always preformed. The issue isnt taking a model already made its developing one.
                          The quality issue is a thread on its own. My loyalty stands with brands that preform like Cutco knives. Pricey yes but a forever guarantee can't be beat! AWD would be perfect for up here.

Comment

I don't know of any vehicle that is 100% made in USA.

Toyota Camry is the best selling AMERICAN MADE CAR.

Vehicles have the percentage of parts that are 'domestic' listed on the window sticker.... too bad 'domestic' includes Canada so there really is no way of being able to easily tell how much of a vehicle is made in the USA.

US auto manufacturers would make cars in Mexico if they could get out of all their union contracts... they could careless....

Comment

I much rather give my $$ to the guy on the line then the CEO who takes home a million dollar severance package when he gets fired. I buy American when I know it lasts. Where were these high quality vehicles 20 or even 10 years ago?
                              I would buy once a quality product is there and has constantly shown its worth. I have owned Fords, Dodges, Chevys, Volkswagons, Toyotas, and Hondas in my lifetime and Honda and Toyota always preformed. The issue isnt taking a model already made its developing one.
                              The quality issue is a thread on its own. My loyalty stands with brands that preform like Cutco knives. Pricey yes but a forever guarantee can't be beat! AWD would be perfect for up here.
                              While it may have taken the American companies a little longer to really focus on quality, they have caught up in many aspects of that issue. According to JD Power and Associates, there's an American car right at or near the top in overall quality in many of the vehicle categories.

Compact Multi Activity Vehicle: Chrysler PT Cruiser
                              http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...tivity-vehicle

Large Car: Mercury Sable, Ford Taurus, Chevy Impala
                              http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...gory/large-car

Large Multi Activity Vehicle: GMC Yukon, Chevy Tahoe

Large Pick-up: Ford F-150/250, Chevy Avalanche/Silverado, GMC Sierra
                              http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...y/large-pickup

Midsize Car: Pontiac G6, Chevy Malibu/Sebring, Ford Fusion
                              http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...ry/midsize-car

Midsize Multi Activity Vehicle: Chevy Trailblazer, Ford Edge/Taurus X/Explorer, Jeep Cherokee

Midsize Pick-up: Ford Ranger
                              http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...midsize-pickup

Midsize Sporty: Ford Mustang
                              http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...midsize-sporty

As far as buying things with higher quality over American products, that's a persons own choice. But as much as people like to bring up the founding fathers, I wonder if anyone realizes what they gave up as far as material possessions went. Instead of buying the finer, higher quality products imported from France, Italy, or England, they bought things from their neighbors instead. Yeah, they got inferior products, but they helped their neighbor and boosted the economy in the process. If only we had the same sense of loyalty to our neighbors today. And if a municipality isn't willing to help out their fellow citizens by buying American made cars for their employees, that's just a travesty... imho.
                              Last edited by eaglegrad; 11-14-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3444 users online. 210 members and 3234 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X