300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Louvers?

My department is thinking of adding hood louvers to our K9 cars due to some heat and cooling system/ac issues we have encountered. I was wanting to see if anyone here uses them or has any experience with them on Chargers or any other vehicle. Needing information specifically on if they seem to work at lowering the engine and engine compartment temps. If anybody has any experience or info about them they can share please let me know. If you know of any agencies using them that I could contact for more info that would even help. Feel free to PM me if you dont want your department info on here.

Something along punched in or the following are what we are looking at currently: http://www.raceace.com/pictures.html

It might just take an adjustment of the thermostat to run the cooling fans more often.

Different types of anti-freeze will cool engines better. Dex-cool will last forever but the engine runs hotter.
    Last edited by wirefire2; 11-10-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

California highway Patrol has them on some of their K9 cars. You may want to post this in the California or K9 section.
      "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

For the real answers thank you.

We have tweaked the cars and tried other stuff too.

Oh and for the "its 2009" answer: in 2009 we should have a car with less issues than we are experienceing with the Charger. From AC systems that fail, to engine overheats, to the fans throwing blades that puncture the radiators and cause the car to overheat. That's why I was asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
          For the real answers thank you.

We have tweaked the cars and tried other stuff too.

Oh and for the "its 2009" answer: in 2009 we should have a car with less issues than we are experienceing with the Charger. From AC systems that fail, to engine overheats, to the fans throwing blades that puncture the radiators and cause the car to overheat. That's why I was asking.
          You would if you hadn't purchased a DODGE
          www.darkwolfunderground.com/forum if you join you can see all the other good stuff on the forums. Do not enter if you are faint of heart-or don't like HARD training.... think.......strongman???

Comment

Originally posted by bthames2000 View Post
            Yeah, I know but it wasnt our (line guys) choice.

Comment

I run Chargers, Expeditions and Crown Vic's in Arizona on a day shift during the summer and I have never had a vehicle overheat.

I do notice some of our K-9 guys open their hood if they leave the vehicle running but not real sure why.

Sure it run's hotter thus maybe not the best thing on the engine but the cars seem to go away before the motor dies...
              ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

I run Chargers, Expeditions and Crown Vic's in Arizona on a day shift during the summer and I have never had a vehicle overheat.

I do notice some of our K-9 guys open their hood if they leave the vehicle running but not real sure why.

Sure it run's hotter thus maybe not the best thing on the engine but the cars seem to go away before the motor dies...
                ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

ManInTan, on average how long are you guys keeping them in service? We don't have a set policy but the general area has been around 125k of hard city driving for the vics. We havent replaced a Charger yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bthames2000 View Post
                    Fortunately, my department has listened to me, for a change, and we probably won't invest in the Chrysler nightmare.
                    “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3681 users online. 194 members and 3487 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X