300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Worth PD suspends 3 officers in gay bar raid

After a four-month internal investigation, the Fort Worth Police Department announced Thursday that it had suspended a sergeant and two officers in connection with a summer raid on a gay bar in which authorities clashed with hundreds of bar patrons.

Though the investigation found that the officers had violated department policies, the agency cleared them of allegations that they had used excessive force. The suspensions ranged from one to three days.

The Rainbow Lounge raid was conducted by Fort Worth police officers and agents of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission on June 28, on the 40th anniversary of the police raid on New York's Stonewall Inn, an event often regarded as the launch of the modern gay rights movement. Gay rights leaders said the Texas raid evoked memories of past conflicts with police.

Seven people at the bar were arrested, and witnesses said one man had his head slammed into a door by agents. Chad Gibson, 26, was hospitalized with a brain injury and released a week later.

The Police Department found that the officers had, among other things, used poor judgment in conducting the check on liquor licenses and other permits; failed to complete police reports by the end of the shift; and inappropriately arrested a patron for a "drunk look" and later released the person to a friend who worked for the department.

Article continues here.

I’m surprised the headline doesn’t focus in the firing of liquor board agents.

I’m under the impression the liquor board initiated the raid, the Forth Worth officers were along for the ride. I think the article targets the PD disproportionately than the state liquor agency who’s agents were FIRED over the event.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Would they still call this a "panty raid"

Comment

Wow, I wasn't there and don't know what happened other than the medias version. I f this is accurate then poor judgement was definitely at hand.

Comment

Must...resist...funny......yet so inappropriate...comments....
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
            Ya... Everyone in Fort Worth PD is so afraid of cracking a smile over any gay joke. This thing was blown out of proportion, and unfortunately some folks are going to be sent to the wood chipper because of it.

Although FWPD's policy on report writing wasn't followed. I expect more disciplinary action to follow.

-SC
            Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
            - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
            MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
            Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
            Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
            Various Graduate Credits - UoP
            MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
            DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

The article did not make clear what the end result is for the liquor board agents. Did the board's recent findings result in their reinstatement?
              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtexan44
                The TABC officers were terminated, FWPD officers just get time off.
                I read that, but the article states:

Also Thursday, the Texas liquor board released a 75-page report that cleared its agents of targeting the bar because of the sexual orientation of its clientele.

The report cleared agent trainee Jason Chapman and agent Christopher Aller of using excessive force. The agency fired Chapman and Aller in late August. Their supervisor, Sgt. Terry Parsons, who was not at the bar during the incident, was also fired.

Because Thursday's report comes more than two months after the firings, there is a possibility that it could result in reconsideration.

Comment

Our Vice has to stay away from teh Gay bars because their "community" thinks they are being harassed if there is any enforcement. It's BS

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                    It's harder when you're retired.
                    As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
                      Ya... Everyone in Fort Worth PD is so afraid of cracking a smile over any gay joke. This thing was blown out of proportion, and unfortunately some folks are going to be sent to the wood chipper because of it.

Although FWPD's policy on report writing wasn't followed. I expect more disciplinary action to follow.

-SC
                      There's your inappropriate comments!
                      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                      -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by dh91040 View Post
                        The Rainbow Lounge
                        Seriously, The Rainbow Lounge, I thought gays were to be the creative type. How generic.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito007 View Post
                          Seriously, The Rainbow Lounge, I thought gays were to be the creative type. How generic.
                          I think that there is a higher percentage of gays and lesbians among creative types (at least in the entertainment industry), but that does not mean that most gays are creative.

Comment

It probably went down like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptx74lGDkNs
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                              There's your inappropriate comments!
                              LOL Thanks for turning my rant into something humorous.

-SC
                              Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                              - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                              MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                              Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                              Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                              Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                              MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                              DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4076 users online. 223 members and 3853 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X